Hunters In Buffalo Creek

Printable View

  • 11-05-2012
    cbrock450
    Hunters In Buffalo Creek
    So anyone who rides at bc knows there are tons of stupid rednecks that pull off at the side of the road and shoot up trash, trees and or even across shinglemill (another long story)

    Why in the world do they shoot where ever they want?

    I know it takes time to instill a game plan but i would love to see them enforce it too.

    Saturday I witnessed ignorance and stupidity like i have never seen before.
    There was a group of about 50 people sitting in the little scraggy trailhead at buffalo creek and we hear gun shots (super close) and i look over and i see a few deer running towards 126.

    I look over to the dirt road right by the giant sign that says no shooting and Cletus and his deliverance buddies have pulled off the side of the road and are shooting from their truck!!!

    My buddy starts screaming at them and using some choice words and they responded, "We ain't even shooting towards you"
    Those A$$ clowns were too stupid to realize that their stray bullets whizzed across a busy two lane paved road.

    I ran over on with my phone in my hand and he starts yelling at me, I smile and start reading his license plate number out loud to the 911 operator. I said i wanted to press charges and would love to testify and was hoping they would call me back when they catch them.

    I know there are tons of smart hunters out there but when you have idiots shooting at stuff right at the little scraggy traihead with tons of people biking and standing around it's time for some drastic measures.

    If anyone is out at bc and there are hunters or shooters being stupid please call 911 and report them. Every single call is documented and if we can get enough complaints the forest service might finally enforce the no shooting except at the gun ranges that they already have out there.

    It's great there is a sign out there at says "No shooting" but it needs to be enforced too.

    I sure hope it does not take a cyclist/hiker/equestrian getting shot to get this shooting to end.
  • 11-05-2012
    ripper roo
    you can shoot a gun anywhere you want on forest service land, no limitations what so ever, most counties, ie summit where I live it is legal to discharge a firearm anywhere you want in the county. towns are different

    On the other hand you cannot shoot from a car or across a road

    the police are not really go do anything about your call, I'll bet money on it.

    remember son your not in Jefferson county anymore, park county is alittle different kinda place, everytime I'm in park county I expect to see and hear guns
  • 11-05-2012
    Biopace
    Time to bust out the bright orange jersey and avoid riding near dawn or dusk.
  • 11-05-2012
    cbrock450
    Dear Dad,
    When there is a big sign that says no shooting, I am guessing it means no shooting.
    I agree, the cops probably did nothing. It was funny to see them hop in their truck and fly out of there. Hopefully they think twice if this opportunity happens again.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post
    remember son your not in Jefferson county anymore, park county is alittle different kinda place, everytime I'm in park county I expect to see and hear guns

  • 11-05-2012
    gearwhine
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post
    remember son your not in Jefferson county anymore, park county is alittle different kinda place, everytime I'm in park county I expect to see and hear guns

    Funny, because from what I know...Little Scraggy trail head (and the majority of the Buffalo Creek trail system) sure is Jeff Co.
  • 11-05-2012
    JSD303
    Thank you, cbrock450. That was incredibly brave and noble of you to take a stand against the lawbreakers. I appreciate your effort and have done the same (yelling at "morans" shooting semi-automatic weapons off Shinglemill near 543). The BC work center volunteers take that stuff seriously and might be able to get local authorities involved quickly, in some cases. They also will report and help get them ticketed, if they see it. I agree that the police probably won't do anything in this case, but ignoring it DEFINITELY will not help in any way. Thanks, again, for confronting armed dipsh*ts and letting them know we won't put up with their BS.
  • 11-05-2012
    bike21
    Interesting, saw the same thing in Fruita last week. Some geniuses were driving down 18 road firing from inside their truck. I called the sheriff's office, but they likely never sent a car out to investigate. At least it was reported and hopefully they can keep an eye out for such stupidity.
  • 11-05-2012
    GIANTkiller
    What time was that cbrock? We were heading over towards Chair Rocks maybe between 9 and 10 when we heard some shots. Close enough that I changed my brightly colored shirt to the top layer!
  • 11-05-2012
    cbrock450
    It was around 3 pm. There were people shooting all day long!!
    It's hunting season and that is the risk we take when we go out there but these guys were crossing the line.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post
    What time was that cbrock? We were heading over towards Chair Rocks maybe between 9 and 10 when we heard some shots. Close enough that I changed my brightly colored shirt to the top layer!

  • 11-05-2012
    cbrock450
    You are welcome JSD303!
    One day we will look back and say. "Remember when people were allowed to shoot from the side of the road at BC?"

    With the Bailey Trails System in the works and IMBA naming BC as an epic trail destination spot it is just a matter of time before practice shooting will be outlawed.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JSD303 View Post
    Thank you, cbrock450. That was incredibly brave and noble of you to take a stand against the lawbreakers. I appreciate your effort and have done the same (yelling at "morans" shooting semi-automatic weapons off Shinglemill near 543). The BC work center volunteers take that stuff seriously and might be able to get local authorities involved quickly, in some cases. They also will report and help get them ticketed, if they see it. I agree that the police probably won't do anything in this case, but ignoring it DEFINITELY will not help in any way. Thanks, again, for confronting armed dipsh*ts and letting them know we won't put up with their BS.

  • 11-05-2012
    zrm
    I almost always here gunfire when I go to Buff Creek. I've confronted people a few times, told then "I don't have anything against shooting, but you need to realize there are a lot of people out on the trails here and this isn't a good place to be playing with your guns".

    Buff Creek or any other highly used area where recreation is the emphasis should be a shooting free zone. Not to mention, almost everywhere you go that people use for shooting is full of trash, shot up trees, and cigarette butts.
  • 11-05-2012
    Wiggs
    We need to sacrifice a horse. If people think a horse got shot, there would be a crackdown on redneckery in the area for sure.

    If it's one of us (mtbr's) I'm afraid nothing will happen.
  • 11-05-2012
    Ithnu
    I had an interesting conversation with a hunter about blaze orange. He said it was stupid for hikers/bikers to be out in the forest without it this time of year. I said how would non-hunters even know it was hunting season? Ride all fall with a blaze orange vest?

    Besides, one of the first rules of shooting is be sure of your target and what's behind it. I think the responsibility absolutely lies with the hunter. But as described above; people are idiots and in this case these idiots had guns. I may ride with blaze orange in these types of areas from now on.
  • 11-05-2012
    DashRipRock
    You wanna get better action? Call the DOW and report that. Video it with your phone. Get plate numbers.
  • 11-05-2012
    MulletSlayer
    I would call a Conservation officer but looking at the website it looks like they are dispatched through the local Sheriff or Colorado State Patrol so you did the right thing.
  • 11-05-2012
    Walt Disney's Frozen Head
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    I had an interesting conversation with a hunter about blaze orange. He said it was stupid for hikers/bikers to be out in the forest without it this time of year. I said how would non-hunters even know it was hunting season? Ride all fall with a blaze orange vest?

    Besides, one of the first rules of shooting is be sure of your target and what's behind it. I think the responsibility absolutely lies with the hunter. But as described above; people are idiots and in this case these idiots had guns. I may ride with blaze orange in these types of areas from now on.

    I had one instance back in Wyoming where my White helmet (could have been my face I suppose) darting through the trees was mistaken for the rear end of a deer by a hunter who was a terrible shot thankfully.

    Fluorescent colors, wear a bell or hell make enough noise and you might discourage hunting in that area
  • 11-05-2012
    zorro
    When I lived in crested butte, there were a couple trails (near strand) that I wore loud colors and sang even louder. Definitley don't wear the deer antler helmet. Can get scary sometimes for sure.
  • 11-05-2012
    hitechredneck
    Hunting season = I have a bit of extra weight in my pack so I can shoot back...... ave to keep the redneck image up after all.
  • 11-05-2012
    btadlock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post
    We need to sacrifice a horse. If people think a horse got shot, there would be a crackdown on redneckery in the area for sure.

    If it's one of us (mtbr's) I'm afraid nothing will happen.

    If one of use are shot, I am certain that something will happen.....an annual celebration by the horse and hiker crowd.
  • 11-05-2012
    cbrock450
    We also took a picture of his license plate. I was told that a forest service employee can write him a ticket if we have his license plate and he said if he can read the plate the ticket will go out.
  • 11-05-2012
    lubes17319
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Hunting season = I have a bit of extra weight in my pack so I can shoot back...... ave to keep the redneck image up after all.

    Weight-weenie isn't just for bike parts.
  • 11-05-2012
    brokefork
    There are jerks in the hunting crowd and the mtb crowd as well. Difference is hunters can make deadly mistakes. Hunting season is pretty much year round for a lot of different species so everyone needs to be alert to the dangers. I would suggest that especially in the fall when big game season is on that people wear bright orange vests. They are light and very easy to see. If the area you are riding in is open for hunting then they have every right to be in that area, so even though we might not like it, that's the way it is.
  • 11-05-2012
    Mothra
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post
    you can shoot a gun anywhere you want on forest service land

    Not exactly. You have to be at least 150 yards from any road, trail or developed site.
  • 11-05-2012
    TheRage43
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    I had an interesting conversation with a hunter about blaze orange. He said it was stupid for hikers/bikers to be out in the forest without it this time of year. I said how would non-hunters even know it was hunting season? Ride all fall with a blaze orange vest?

    Besides, one of the first rules of shooting is be sure of your target and what's behind it. I think the responsibility absolutely lies with the hunter. But as described above; people are idiots and in this case these idiots had guns. I may ride with blaze orange in these types of areas from now on.

    When you're lying on the side of the trail with a stray bullet in your back, I doubt you'll be too worried about who's responsibility it is or was. Preventative maintenance is the best bet for this case.

    Also, know your laws people. I'm pretty sure its illegal to fire a weapon from within a vehicle, and I also found this:

    Can I shoot a firearm in a National Forest? YES. However, there are federal regulations.

    A firearm may not be discharged in the following National Forest areas:

    1. Within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area; or

    2. Across or on a Forest Development road or an adjacent body of water, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge; or

    3. Into or within any cave. [36 CFR 261.10 (d)]

    Note: Some forest or districts have additional restrictions on discharging a firearm. You are advised to check with the authorities in the areas you will be visiting.
  • 11-05-2012
    hitechredneck
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Weight-weenie isn't just for bike parts.

    your correct but I tend to to prefer a "all mountain" weapon
    Product: Model M&P340 CT - No Internal Lock