Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    When you're lying on the side of the trail with a stray bullet in your back, I doubt you'll be too worried about who's responsibility it is or was. Preventative maintenance is the best bet for this case.
    Uh yeah, that's why I said I may start riding with blaze orange on in NF in the fall. I would think about who's responsibility it was if I was shot; as in "the idiot who did this needs to go to jail because I don't look a thing like a deer".
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have seen people shooting across the CO Trl on the east side of 126. We saw some deer running through an open area and thought it was pretty cool, until we got around the bend and saw about a half dozen orange vests about 1/4 mile away, near the road. That was a few years ago, and expeciallt this time of year, whether riding in BC or on CO Trl heding back towards the Platte, I always encounter people with rifles.

An orange helmet sock/cover would be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    none of you guys have been shot at before?

come on, get real, get over yourselves, it's actually a nice rush, how quick can you hit the deck?

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Actually, I've dodged a drive-by in LA in the late 80s and it wasn't a nice rush, nozzle. When a sawed off is pointed in your direction and people around you are hit, it isn't all that fun or funny.

But, if that's what you consider a nice rush, funny man, then I'll gladly provide those for you anytime you like. You wanna get "real" now, or just keep talking stupid?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have been shot, it's not fun or funny.

ridin dirtay
    thread title: "Hillbillies in Buff Crik"

the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Motion activated
    As mentioned before it's illegal to shoot across a road and from your car/truck.

There is a least one shooting range in Buffalo Creek area.

I don't have any issue with responsible target practice or hunting. But for F's sake clean up your sh!t. All the established shoot areas in Pike look like a dump - shells & brass everywhere, shot up trees and other junk.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post

come on, get real, get over yourselves, it's actually a nice rush, how quick can you hit the deck?
    Not even the least bit funny. Down on the Limbaugh trail by Mt Herman we regularly have bullets zing over our heads and on occasion actually lodge into trees. It's a scary and sobering experience, and has happened much to often. They are not directly trying to shoot at you, they're just not aware of your presence on the trails.

The only person who can ticket them is the LEO, and for us in the Springs, their is only one of them for a huge district (El Paso and Teller, maybe more?). If alcohol is present, then he cannot do anything, since that would be dealt with by the Sheriff.

Myself, family, friends, hikers (with kids), volunteers during trail days, forest service workers, etc., have all had the issue, and not much can be done, since legally they aren't in the wrong. On occasion the LEO can catch them and write tickets for safety reasons. We got one shooting range closed because it directly pointed down range at the trails and was so heavily trashed. We did a cleanup one day at the site and got 50 trash bags of debris, shells, etc., and then the FS came in and did additional work.

I have also have been purposely shot at by an irate landowner when I was rock climbing near on his property (it was leased not owned).

Apr 2012

remember son your not in Jefferson county anymore, park county is alittle different kinda place, everytime I'm in park county I expect to see and hear guns
    Once spoke to the sheriff up there when he pulled up and wanted to know if we'd heard any shooting. He made it obvious that dealing with drunks shooting illegally in the BC area was one of his top priorities, and asked us to call immediately if we ever saw or heard anything. Most of the people shooting up there are from the Denver area.

The Notorious S.L.O

How screwed would you be...

if you actually caught a stray round in the further reachs of BC, beyond cell phone range, riding solo on at best a pair?
    My first aid kit is not at all prepared for that kind of injury.

I alway expect to hear gunshots while riding BC, and I am seldom disappointed.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

somehow still alive
    I don't mind a few extra lbs.... I carry a full size .45

But I carry concealed (almost) everywhere I go.. So it's not really an issue for me to carry that full-sized hand cannon.
    Not what you think.

My videos

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyw00d View Post
    But I carry concealed (almost) everywhere I go.. So it's not really an issue for me to carry that full-sized hand cannon.
    Ah crap...

You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyw00d View Post
    I don't mind a few extra lbs.... I carry a full size .45

The NPS has tested tasers® at the Golden Gate National Recreation Area
    and has shown them to be quite effective at subduing belligerent pet
    owners. As a bonus, apparently taser® operators are immune to
    prosecution.

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    The NPS has tested tasers® at the Golden Gate National Recreation Area
    and has shown them to be quite effective at subduing belligerent pet
    owners. As a bonus, apparently taser® operators are immune to
    prosecution.

those things are sweet!

I also don't carry to be a bad ass... I don't expose it or draw it without intent to kill. and I have no intent to kill a belligerent pet owner or someone ignorant of laws.
    Not what you think.

My videos

I'm with stupid
    Oh come on guys your too serious, cut ripper roo some slack.....give war a chance (some have been there and know the rush he speaks of). lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Oh come on guys your too serious, cut ripper roo some slack.....give war a chance (some have been there and know the rush he speaks of). lol
    ya, and some people burn themselves with cigarettes but neither would I consider a "hoot"

somehow still alive

Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    the best way to get an investigation and follow ups is to call the DOW game warden. they will do far more than the local authorities can or will.

much appreciated that you made a stand. be careful though, guns make people more stupid than they already are!
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by zukrider View Post
    be careful though, guns make people more stupid than they already are!
    this. be careful out there. most shooters that I see tend to feel more gutsy when they have steel in their hands... where as most of the people who carry concealed try to avoid those conflicts because they don't want to draw, cause they understand the potential repercussions.

Your best bet when interacting with someone who's illegally wielding steel is to just get their plate # and call it in.. don't risk confronting them.
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I don't think most hunters and target shooters are antsy to shoot someone. I worry more about people who take a 2 hour class and then stick a 45 down there pants and go drinking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    I don't think most hunters and target shooters are antsy to shoot someone. I worry more about people who take a 2 hour class and then stick a 45 down there pants and go drinking.
    Why would you worry about that? In the history of concealed carry, not a single crime or accidental shooting has been committed by someone with a legit CCP.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    Why would you worry about that? In the history of concealed carry, not a single crime or accidental shooting has been committed by someone with a legit CCP.
    That's right... not a single crime... just hundreds of them instead!

VPC - The Violence Policy Center - Concealed Carry Killers

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    I agree. But I'm not saying they're antsy to shoot someone, I'm just saying that they feel and act like they're much tougher.

Also:
    1. I don't drink. And back when I did, I certainly didn't carry when I had alcohol in my system.
    2. I'm not some yahoo who took a 2 hour class. I'm a disabled vet, ex-military man, who was trained to carry into combat and have my side arm always ready and available for protection of myself and/or my fellow soldiers, and now as a civilian to protect myself and my family.

Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303 View Post
    That's right... not a single crime... just hundreds of them instead!

VPC - The Violence Policy Center - Concealed Carry Killers
    Thanks for sharing that info. I haven't had an opportunity to fully digest it, but a quick scan shows a few things. First, my earlier statement wasn't accurate. Second, the data is presented in a way as to mislead. For example, to count every gun-related crime in AZ as a CCP crime, just because every legal resident has the right to open carry is wrong. Plus, many of the incidents are double or triple counted across the various categories. Many (maybe most, but haven't read them all so I can't say for sure) are crimes of passion and the CCP wouldn't affect those incidents one way or another.

The numbers are for the last five years. If you take out the multiple counts, instead looking at each incident only once and look at annual averages, the number is very low. Low enough as to be statistically insignificant. You have a far greater chance of suffering gun violence by a thug in Chicago than you do by a CCP gun owner throughout the entire country.

While I misspoke earlier, I stand by the point I made: concern over potential gun violence by a CCP gun owner is unjustified. Unless you're going through a messy divorce or your wife catches you cheating on her, that is.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    mudge - I'm not saying that all guns are bad or anything, and you make a couple interesting distinctions. I disagree with your assessment of the numbers, but those are open for interpretation. I do think it's absolutely fair to count gun-related crimes in AZ by people that commit them, because AZ made the law saying CCP is for everyone who can get a gun - that's the law, so those users ARE given a CCP by default. So counting crimes committed by those owners is just as fair as counting any other state that issues a CCP to a citizen. Again, the point wasn't that all gun-owning CCP owners are evil people - far from it. I just get annoyed when people use terms like never - always - not one - etc, when that's absolutely false. I certainly wasn't trying to outlaw guns with the numbers, just point out that many gun advocates throw out BS numbers to support their hobby - mostly because they are ignorant of the real numbers and repeat what they've heard or read on NRA propaganda pieces. I totally support the 2nd Amendment!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast