mtbr member
    Feb 2005

HTMP: is this trail legal??

There is a trail from the southern most antenna that drops down to link with with westridge, evertime I go up there is seems like someone (rangers, etc) have pushed more debris blocking access to that trail, what is the deal, that makes one of the best loops in the park?
    Thanks

Bodhisattva
    We refer to that as "Salsa" for reasons which are not entirely clear.

It's never been legit to the best of my knowledge, but nobody's ever taken the time to block it off either until recently.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

It is not an official trail

It is not an official trail, and I have seen it blocked off several times over the past seven years. In order to make sure that mountain bikers are viewed favorably, I believe that mountain bikers should avoid using that trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

What are the use regulations up @ the towers themselves??

Last weekend, the trail was blocked by the 'main' ST. The left side cut around the bushes is now also blocked. There is also a 'blockage' by the first steep rock section, just down as the ST starts.
    Blocked as in someone went through A LOT of trouble to make it inaccessible.
    You really don't get that much more ST going this way, but the ability to finish the climb is the real reason to do this section of trail in the first place IMHO. You can access the WR trail not far past the SC/MC junction (ie: the real marked trail).
    If the trail is closed to bikers and hikers, fine.
    But put up some sign to that effect for crap sake.
    Throwing logs across ST is not official, and in my book is total crap.
    As far as that being a 'negative' on MTN bikers...............I don't see it.
    If you can take the time to drag crap on the trail, you could just as easily post an 'official' sign.
    That is unless of course the one putting the blockage up has no official right to do so.
    I guess a conversation with a RANGER would be in order.

C.

slow
    I prefer to ride that trail (as opposed to riding the portion of the Westridge trail from the marked entrance near Mill Creek / Spring Creek junction) because I use the towers as a goal, wanting to finish the climb. Also, that trail cuts out a nasty single track climb and makes a great loop. I don't think it has ever been an official trail, but has become a social trail. If it is off limits, a sign should be posted. I can live with climbing to the towers and then descending back down the road to Westridge for the Wathen loop.

According to public records, the land on which the south towers sit is owned by CSU. Maybe they are the ones blocking it, and not a county ranger. Perhaps it is a liability issue?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I am glad they opened up blue sky, but this 100 yds of trail should be open

This link just makes more sense, I would pitch in some man hours to help make this an offical trail, also another rant of sorts, people spent so much time with BST, but some of the trails in HTMP (I am thinking MC) need the water bars fixed and or added to decrease erosion, seems like we should take care of what we got as well, but anyway...

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by twelve_volt_man
    This link just makes more sense, I would pitch in some man hours to help make this an offical trail, also another rant of sorts, people spent so much time with BST, but some of the trails in HTMP (I am thinking MC) need the water bars fixed and or added to decrease erosion, seems like we should take care of what we got as well, but anyway...

Careful what you ask for. Although the water bars on Mill creek are pure shite and NOT the way they should be built, I absolutely do not want to see it go the opposite way like that of the blue sky sidewalk. I mean come on, 1 rock from coyote ridge to soderberg...? sheesh

[doing torrential raindance as we type; bring on the errosion]

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Careful what you ask for. Although the water bars on Mill creek are pure shite and NOT the way they should be built, I absolutely do not want to see it go the opposite way like that of the blue sky sidewalk. I mean come on, 1 rock from coyote ridge to soderberg...? sheesh

I must have missed that one. I don't remember any rocks. I'm praying for the monsoon's to settle the bottomless dust so I can at least ride it, instead of swimming in rock flour.

Back to topic. FWIW, that "trail" was there when I first riding HTMP in the mid/ late 80's and would have brush/logs thrown across it from time to time on the West Ridge side to prevent the opposite loop. I do believe the area around the Tower's has always been private, so renegading a trail is probably not in our best interests. The county has agreeded to revisit the closure's of the W side of DB due to a lot of lobbying. It would all be in our best interests to keep it clean for the next couple of months while the county reviews their policy ( by fielding responces from the other user groups about the "bad bikers".

I don't necessarily agree that we even need a new trail, even though the linkup is perfect. I prefer to ride the opposite direction, up the upper Service Road. Then N on the West Ridge to the SR, down Mill Crk to Loggers, up to Carey Springs, up to SR, down to Herrington to Spring Crk and back out the upper SR.

I try to avoid as much "road riding" as I can and try to max out the single track. If you "have" to ride all the way up to the road to the Tower's from the lower lot, fine. A perfect loop would be ideal , but what're we talking what, about a 400yd backtrack to get the "official" West Ridge junction ?? It's one thing dealing with the government/ park land, it's a whole different story with private property and the liability issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

I will try to find out info

obd,
    I think the point is that we FIND OUT EXACTLY what the story is with the access.
    At this point we are all just guessing, so the info (by all of us) is essentially useless for making a decision.

How you like to ride and how I like to ride don't mean a squirt of piss relative to what the legality of what we ride does.

I agree, we need to be mindful and courteous.
    Let's do it WITH the facts also.

Off Topic:
    While we are at it, can we get the entrance from Hunters trail to the BSB trail opened up or redirected.
    Not sure who cut the transition, but it is POOR from a flow and erosion standpoint IMO.
    That bush on the NE corner is a 'goner' if the transition is not revised.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    I must have missed that one. I don't remember any rocks. I'm praying for the monsoon's to settle the bottomless dust so I can at least ride it, instead of swimming in rock flour.

Back to topic. FWIW, that "trail" was there when I first riding HTMP in the mid/ late 80's and would have brush/logs thrown across it from time to time on the West Ridge side to prevent the opposite loop. I do believe the area around the Tower's has always been private, so renegading a trail is probably not in our best interests. The county has agreeded to revisit the closure's of the W side of DB due to a lot of lobbying. It would all be in our best interests to keep it clean for the next couple of months while the county reviews their policy ( by fielding responces from the other user groups about the "bad bikers".

I don't necessarily agree that we even need a new trail, even though the linkup is perfect. I prefer to ride the opposite direction, up the upper Service Road. Then N on the West Ridge to the SR, down Mill Crk to Loggers, up to Carey Springs, up to SR, down to Herrington to Spring Crk and back out the upper SR.

I try to avoid as much "road riding" as I can and try to max out the single track. If you "have" to ride all the way up to the road to the Tower's from the lower lot, fine. A perfect loop would be ideal , but what're we talking what, about a 400yd backtrack to get the "official" West Ridge junction ?? It's one thing dealing with the government/ park land, it's a whole different story with private property and the liability issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Trail Is Closed

OK,
    Got the official word on the trail. IT IS CLOSED (to any multi use).
    Signs are on order, but will probably still be a bit before they are implemented.
    The Ranger would appreciate 'word of mouth' assistance on helping to educate on recent trail closures (H Rock trail, H Fall, and this single track).
    The verbage he used was "education, not enforcement at this point"
    They are being very casual and cool about this, so I (personally) think we should respect and honor that.
    The Service road is still open to Multi Use, so the climb aspect is still intact.
    I would prefer to see signs personally, but frankly the Rangers have been nothing but accomodating.
    I see it as one good turn deserves another.
    Hope that helps.
    Anybody with questions can contact Todd @ 970.498.5601

my .02
    C.

slow
    Thanks for the update. Will spread the word.

FleshwoundGravityResearch

Trail Closures