Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

How Wet are the Wet Mountains?

Was thinking of hitting Snowslide/Cisneros for the first time this weekend. Does anyone know the local conditions? I know the southern mountains had a fairly light snow year and it's been a warm, dry spring. Still, these trails top out around 11k feet so I'm concerned. I'd hate to be turned back.

Any intel will be appreciated

Fischman
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    I can see the Wet Mountains from my place and they look nearly as dry as everything else around here. Just a little hint of snow around the peaks is all I can see. You might hit some snow on some northern exposed areas, but I doubt it.

Tell me about the route you plan to take...I'll be doing as much exploring as possible down that way this summer.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

The plan is to . . .

Start at Lake isabel, head up the recreation area road to the Cisneros trail, take Cisneros up 6 or 7 miles until it meets the Greenhorn Mountain Road, follow the road SE about a mile until the Snowslide trail, take it back down to Hwy 165 and loop back to the car.

If that goes well, I may do some more exploring in the area (St Charles Trail, Dome Rock, Lion Park, etc) at a later date, but there's still a lot more undone on my to do list that will probably take precedence (Monarch Crest, Rainbow Trail, Kenosha Pass, Buffalo Creek, Summit Co).

mtbr member

Summit report

yo, living in Breck, I can tell you that it will be a few more weeks of warm weather before we are even riding the flumes. It is melting fast up here, but there was a hell of a lot to melt! Road biking it and heading to Moab (like the rest of the state) are the best options right now west of the divide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Wet Mountains are east of the divide

Quote Originally Posted by breckseth
    yo, living in Breck, I can tell you that it will be a few more weeks of warm weather before we are even riding the flumes. It is melting fast up here, but there was a hell of a lot to melt! Road biking it and heading to Moab (like the rest of the state) are the best options right now west of the divide.
    FYI, the Wets are roughly between Pueblo and the Sangre de Cristos (Westcliffe). They are east of the divide. A really cool area. Check it out sometime.

Gravy Boat Regatta
    Quote Originally Posted by Fischman
    Start at Lake isabel, head up the recreation area road to the Cisneros trail, take Cisneros up 6 or 7 miles until it meets the Greenhorn Mountain Road, follow the road SE about a mile until the Snowslide trail, take it back down to Hwy 165 and loop back to the car.

If that goes well, I may do some more exploring in the area (St Charles Trail, Dome Rock, Lion Park, etc) at a later date, but there's still a lot more undone on my to do list that will probably take precedence (Monarch Crest, Rainbow Trail, Kenosha Pass, Buffalo Creek, Summit Co).
    Did you go? is it dry?
    Hi

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

No, I didn't go but . . .

When I made the plans, it was before that snowstorm we got last week. I got word that it was snowing pretty hard above 8,000ft. Given that the trail starts above 8 and goes all the way above 11, I wasn't willing to risk the drive. I did the next best thing, however, and headed over to the Lion's Canyon trail, which starts at the Oak Creek Campground about 12 miles south of Canon City. Only about 3 miles of singletrack, but it turned out to be pretty good. The climb is vicious, but when you turn around, it makes for a pretty rippin' downhill. Even there, I ran into a good amount of snow (the canyon is on a northern exposure and heavily forested, so a lot had yet to melt). Since I barely hit 9,000 feet and ran into more snow than I expected or would have liked, I'm sure I made the right decision not to do Snowslide/Cisneros--these trails remain on my to-do list.

As for the ride I did--given it's short duration, I wouldn't recommend making a trip just for it, but definitely bring the bike if you're headed to Canon for some other reason. The campground looked pretty nice too--some great sites in a beautiful wooded area.

Fischman