View Poll Results: How well do you ride switch?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • I ride equally well with either foot forward

11 21.15%
  • I can ride well, but not as confident with the other foot forward

10 19.23%
  • I ride some stuff with either foot, but I prefer to ride with my dominant foot forward

16 30.77%
  • I have tried both ways, and prefer to ride with my dominant foot out front

15 28.85%
  • Whats switch?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    friend of Apex

How well do you ride switch?

Not really talkin about boards, per se. Although for me the correlation between the two exists. On a board, its hard for me to jump and land switch stance without a spin of somesort, my body just wants to turn out of it. On a bike, I am just not as confident with the right foot in front while in the air.

How well can you ride your bike DH with "the other foot" out front compared to your dominant side?
    Is there a difference?
    What kind of difference is there for you?

Banji, the cat with opposable thumbs, can ride switch like a ninja...

the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

~Disc~Golf~
    I find that I can switch my feet depending on what's coming up (right/left turns, rocks/roots etc) It feels almost neutral to me, but on the straight-away coasting and jumps, I subconsciously have my right foot forward more times than not.
    Also, if I have to 'tripod' or slide and ditch, it will be to my left most often.
    *Edit - I ride goofy on a board (right foot forward) - I wonder how that translates to others' riding styles as well?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Stiff yet compliant
    In everything except cycling I am right foot dominant. When coasting on a bike I need to have my left foot forward.
    Never really occurred to me until I saw this poal.

Bad Andy
    Left foot forward on board and bike.
    I can ride both switch, but not too well on the board, and just doesn't feel right on the bike, except in corners (appropriate foot down).
    Last edited by andychrysler; 02-10-2009 at 09:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Hi fellas - new to this forum.
    Definitely not new to biking...
    I am right foot dominant but coast with my left foot forward as a habit. I can power out of a coast faster this way

mtbr member
    If you're right foot dominant, it would make sense that you prefer your left foot forward... Just like riding (surfing, snowboarding, skateboarding, etc). Think about everything else as well, like throwing a ball with your right hand (you step FORWARD with your left foot,) golfing or shooting a hockey puck right handed (your left foot is forward), or even kicking a soccer ball (you step forward with your left foot first).

Am I crazy to think right foot dominant translates to left foot forward for most activities?

mtbr member
    *Correction*

Am I crazy to think that RIGHT SIDE dominant translates to left foot forward for most activities?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hmm, I'm right-handed/right side dominant, and I prefer my right foot forward while biking. I'm trying to break that habit though, and consciously ride with my left foot forward on occasion.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    *Correction*

Am I crazy to think that RIGHT SIDE dominant translates to left foot forward for most activities?
    I'll buy that.. I've become pretty comfortable with either foot, but I still prefer to ride left foot forward because it feels like the right foot is loaded to throw in a power stroke if needed.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndonchen
    Hmm, I'm right-handed/right side dominant, and I prefer my right foot forward while biking. I'm trying to break that habit though, and consciously ride with my left foot forward on occasion.
    That's the key...don't get "lazy". After a short time, you'll feel comfortable either way. I think what your foot dominance is most easily diminished in cycling, than say snowboarding (especially surfing - so hard to switch in surfing).
    thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    That's the key...don't get "lazy". After a short time, you'll feel comfortable either way. I think what your foot dominance is most easily diminished in cycling, than say snowboarding (especially surfing - so hard to switch in surfing).
    thoughts?
    Agreed 100%. Retraining muscles to respond differently is always difficult, but more so with something like surfing, where there is a much greater difference between which side is doing what. There is less of a 'balance switch' on a bike than a surfboard, so it's a good idea to try and use both sides equally if you can.

!Vamos, flaco!
    I'm goofy footed and naturally have my right foot forward when not pedalling. When I remember, I practice bunny hopping curbs and doing lil drops "switch" so that I don't get thrown off when it happens on the trail.

A big part of it is mental. I was a pretty serious skateboarder when I was younger and, half of doing anythnig switch was wrapping your mind around it and getting yourself to believe that they're the same. That, and practice, which you've got to force yourself to do, like riding blus and green switch slosh.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Heathen
    Right foot forward on bike and skateboard. Never been snowboarding.

I also make turns slightly different depending on direction. Even after racing flat-track for years as a kid, turning right feels better.

Hands though, I'm mostly ambidextrous.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide

Not crazy, I worded the poll a bit differently than I should have, but I can't edit it.
    I'm the same way = right handed, like my left foot forward mosta the time on the bike/board.

I can, um *flow*, down the hill on my bike either way, but getting off the ground and feeling good in the air is tough with righty up front. Rock gardens are a bit sketchy riding switch, too.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Goat of Legend
    Right Handed here.

On the board, snow, skate, or surf...always right foot forward, otherwords Goofy footed

On the bike...I favor my left foot being forward

Inflexable...
    Just as in skiing it depends on which direction I am turning or leaning. Right forward when turning left and left forward when turning right...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

hehe ...you said "member"
    Funny, until reading this I never would have made the connection, but I'm right foot forward (mostly) on my bike and I just started boarding this year - goofy as well. I kick a ball better right footed, but jump off my left foot to dunk a basketball. wow ... this is sort of making my brain hurt ...
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

eci
    i can ride switch better than you can ride regular

Thread Terrorist
    I didn't think Switch Bindings still existed... I still use mine!

so, to answer your question... I ride Switch very well
    Attached Images Attached Images

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Right Handed here.

On the board, snow, skate, or surf...always right foot forward, otherwords Goofy footed

On the bike...I favor my left foot being forward
    Trippy...I'm like you..until bike ridin' - Jake7 kinda fits my profile to w/ jumping off of the left foot!
    Any Kinesiologists out there?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    I didn't think Switch Bindings still existed... I still use mine!

so, to answer your question... I ride Switch very well
    BTW those are gay... FLAME me if you wish -- there are no NO 'switch' bindings - that's retarded

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    BTW those are gay... FLAME me if you wish -- there are no NO 'switch' bindings - that's retarded
    Well snowboarding itself is ghey - so I don't really see what the problem is having ghey bindings too.

Thread Terrorist
    Ghey ghey ghey.... You may be ghey if: you drive one of these:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...minations.html

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Well snowboarding itself is ghey - so I don't really see what the problem is having ghey bindings too.
    If that's the way you feel then- touche'..but that word is gay(so my linguistics must be also)...so is 'ghey'

BACK TO THE DISCUSSION!! - I did not mean to derail this - carrion

Living the High Life
    Let see

Right Handed
    Normal on a board (left forward)
    Goofy on a bike (right forward)
    Left footed in soccer

I can write legibly left handed but I'm slow at it
    I can play soccer right fully footed actually, I just kick further left footed
    I ride switch OK on a board (I can link turns and go off very small jumps)
    I can ride left foot forward on a bike, but when it gets steep I got back to right

Man I'm conflicted
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast