mtbr member

How things looking at Palmer or the Chutes

Doesn't look like Colorado Springs got the snow this week that Denver did.
    Wondering if Palmer Park or the Chutes/Stratton have are good to go.
    Yield to downhill

I did it all for the kudo
    It just depends on what your expectations are... Both are ridable, but both still have allot of ice. I was not able to make the last Wednesday night ride, but I was informed that three of the five riders that rode Palmer took pretty bad spills due to ice and two of them actually called it quits because of it.

I'm with stupid
    Palmer has camo ice. Its brown and looks just like the trail but slick as hell so just watch out it will surprise you.

mtb'er
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Palmer has camo ice. Its brown and looks just like the trail but slick as hell so just watch out it will surprise you.
    "camo ice" I love it, that is a perfect description and Palmer and the Chutes both very icy in spots. Ute Valley is in pretty good shape, some mud if warm.

mtbr member
    Buckhorn and jacks had ice on steroids yesterday was super slick compared to a few days ago

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Totally. I was out yesterday afternoon and the camo ice was freaky. I ended up walking some sections, which almost seemed worse. On the return to the car, I even took a large section of road so I didn't have to worry about the ice.

Ute is in much better condition.
    baker

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    It just depends on what your expectations are... Both are ridable, but both still have allot of ice. I was not able to make the last Wednesday night ride, but I was informed that three of the five riders that rode Palmer took pretty bad spills due to ice and two of them actually called it quits because of it.
    Yeah, I've never see the ice that bad before--at least when it's shiny you expect it but the camo stuff was particulary harsh. I didn't crash, but I had some crazy dabs and close calls. The worst thing is that we were riding in 15 degree temps--the ice would be even more slick in 40 degree temps! Unfortunately, the ice is only on about 5% of the trail (usually in the corners of course), so studs would be a waste of time.

The "green mile" on the south side of Tempelton is clear so you theoretically could do out and backs there--probably not worth a drive from Denver though.

gotta get up to get down
    fun times all over palmer park today... definitely still patches of camo ice though

hittin jacks tomorrow... pm me if anyone wants to meet up
    Last edited by p_DuBs; 01-13-2012 at 08:55 PM.

the Chain Guy
    I am riding Ute tomorrow morning but early. I am hoping to hit the trail by 8:30.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I rode Palmer midweek, some of that ice is glacier, other parts are like mid-summer. Grin and bear it, at least you'll be on your bike.
    Colorado Springs, CO

ENDO!!!
    Definitely watch out for the "camo ice" on Palmer Park!
    Just circles turning circles....