Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

How many fat bike riders?

Really want to extend my riding season… Thinking about selling a kidney and picking up a moonlander for snow riding. How do they do in the front range?
    Front Range, Colorado
    Yeti SB95c
    Yeti ARC c
    9:zero:7 190mm

mtbr member
    I have a buddy who rides one almost exclusively and loves it.

Personally, I'm going for a Yampa. The ones I've demo'd with my buddy are a good 15 pounds lighter with nearly identical setups.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I agree! Not sure if I can clear it with the wife though. Already bought two new bikes this year....
    Front Range, Colorado
    Yeti SB95c
    Yeti ARC c
    9:zero:7 190mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I also have a good friend with a Moon Lander that he rides a lot and loves it. He just bought a carbon Bear Grease as an alternative and will keep the Moon Lander more for camping.

I have a Al Fatback, and I love it. As you know, fat bikes are not just for snow. I have thought about selling my HT and FS 29ers and just keeping the fatback. I find myself turning to it for most of my trail riding especially in the fall. I have also considered a carbon or Ti replacement, but I haven't cleared the mental hurdle of the delta between selling what I have and buying new, and at 31# for a 20" frame and a nice component mix I am not sure how much an improvement I will see.

Bottom line, you want one, and your wife will quickly determine that divorce or murder are too expensive.....

My cup runneth over

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Fat bikes do great in front range, and of course it is going to extend your riding season. Just ask yourself 1st if you are willing to ride by yourself or have some friends with fat bikes. Don't let people on here convince you that you can ride a fat bike as fast as your other bike, so if you ride with 4 guys and are all the same pace once your on the fat bike you will not keep up. It is obviously getting more popular so sure we will run into more people with them soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I have a buddy who rides one almost exclusively and loves it.

Personally, I'm going for a Yampa. The ones I've demo'd with my buddy are a good 15 pounds lighter with nearly identical setups.
    Lighter, yes, but 15 lbs lighter, really? Wouldn't you have to build with their carbon rims ($$$$) or <100mm rims to lop off anywhere near that much weight? I still want one.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Lighter, yes, but 15 lbs lighter, really? Wouldn't you have to build with their carbon rims ($$$$) or <100mm rims to lop off anywhere near that much weight? I still want one.
    The super, ultra, uber, lightweight_everything build of the Yampa is around 21 lbs, so this is technically correct when comparing to the bone stock Moonlander at 37 lbs.

Meanwhile you can buy a Moonlander, a Pugsley, and winter riding gear .. and still have almost $1,000 in your pocket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Really want to extend my riding season… Thinking about selling a kidney and picking up a moonlander for snow riding. How do they do in the front range?
    Before you sell a kidney - head over to Golden bike Shop and "Ren-Ta-Fatty" for this weekend!

*** Lunchtime loop freshies ***

How many fat bike riders?-img_0022.jpg
    Last edited by calzonical; 11-22-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: adding pic

Home of the Gravedigger
     photo 003_zps15bdbcec.jpg

I decided to build a Pugs rather than the stock build. Mine came in at 32 lbs. In the end, it probably would have been more economical to buy a stock build that is only 2 lbs heavier. I know there is all this push to save weight with fatbikes. Maybe light fatbikes are better...I don't know, I have plenty of fun on mine just the way it is. There are so many fatbike shops now. Check out Golden Bike Shop, Alpha, and Pedal of Littleton. They will get you a new ride and maybe you will only need to donate plasma instead of waking up in a bathtub full of ice in Mexico with no Kidney.

The 5th knuckle
    The fat bike only a mother could love

Reebdonkadonk - Reeb Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I love the REEB! They are a local company, and the frames are welded in downtown Denver. It's about as Front Range as it gets.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by jkaber View Post
     photo 003_zps15bdbcec.jpg
    That thing looks awesome. What rotors are those?
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Chronic 1st-timer
    ^ Look like 'Alligator Windcutters'
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Home of the Gravedigger
    Yes, they are cheapy Alligator Ti-Nitride coated rotors....I think they were like $12 each! I think they work better than Avid and even seem alot straighter too.

Motion activated
    ^ Wow, only twenty bucks at price point. [Edit: looks like I'm too slow]

These guys look pretty interesting for a fat bike if you're on ice a lot and don't mind the weight.

Grip Studs™ Screw-In Tire Studs | Traction in Ice, Snow and Dirt | Bicycle Tire Studs

I've got a big meaty set of studded tires for my moto to try out this winter (not grip studs). Just waiting on a wheel set to mount them. I'd hate to think what would happen to any body part that came in contact with them. - instant mince, just gotta pick out the bone chips.

mtbr member
    I got a cheap motobacane Fatbike via Bikes Direct and love it. Too much fun, and only $900.

mtbr member
    OH man..... I am a "wishful" fat bike person. I will get one one day, for now I pretend with what I have and it still puts a smile on my face!

BLKSS29RGD
    A 20" (Large) pugsley just hit CL this AM for cheap. I'd grab it if I did not just get a Mukluk.

Wednesday night Littleton area ride - $1 burger night at Gunther Toodies, and they make a heck of a good veggie burger - maybe we should try to get a Weds early eve ride going??

Motion activated
    Are snowbikes any good for jumping and technical riding? I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to build little booters out of snow. Or are they more for getting some quality exercise with the wheels on the ground?

BLKSS29RGD
    They actually work very well as an all around trail bike. Lots of good info on the web about them. Mine has been a gas on the dry trails. They really excel in technical riding, both up and down.

Motion activated
    I'm a big fan of big tires on the front range trails in dry conditions (used to run a 2.8 front @ 1500g and 2.4 rear @ 1000g ). But is there enough grip (condition dependent I know) on snow for jumps, stoppies and technical climbs etc? The FAT tires look to be more about floating on the snow than actual traction.

Goofing off?
    I am a fat, bike rider. I need to shed 10 or so pounds.

DHMTBR.com
    I did a video shoot with the Colorado Springs based Fat Bike company called Boreals Fat Bikes. They show that these rigs are not just for the snow!

Last edited by csgaraglino; 11-25-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Edit Co name
    Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Yup, follow me on Google+
    https://plus.google.com/+ChrisSgaraglino

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by richccc View Post
    Fat bikes do great in front range, and of course it is going to extend your riding season. Just ask yourself 1st if you are willing to ride by yourself or have some friends with fat bikes. Don't let people on here convince you that you can ride a fat bike as fast as your other bike, so if you ride with 4 guys and are all the same pace once your on the fat bike you will not keep up. It is obviously getting more popular so sure we will run into more people with them soon.
    Question is...Have you ridden one to qualify this judgement? I've been GPS tracking my rides for the past two years and some of my fastest climbing times(Hello Kitty, Hayden) have been on my 31lb Salsa Mukluk. Same on some downhills. My fastest time down Box o Rox has been on my Mukluk and that's going against myself on my Niner Jet9 and Kona Satori.

I will say when it gets really fast, rough in chunky. I'm faster on my Jet or Satori. Perfect example is two regular mtb folks stopping and talking to me about my fatty at Lair the Bear. I smoked them up the climb...met a buddy up top and hung out while they came riding along and then smoked em down. I'm not trying to be a zealot for the Fatty, though I do love mine but curious if "your in the know" of how a fat bike rides or are you just assuming?

For the OP: I think what I said above points to how I feel about the fatty. The biggest advantage is the additional traction especially on the climbs. Depending on tire selection, gearing selection and rider fitness there is no reason that you can't ride a fat bike on most trails in the Front Range with your buddies on regular bikes. I ride mine regularly on the TITS night rides that are regularly posted here and I'm right where I usually am in the pack on my regular mtb.

Here's a ride full of PR's done on the Fat Bike..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast