Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Light freak

How low can you go?

Received an email this morning from a new customer in Anchorage, Alaska

"Glad to have your light on my head as my other one crapped out early on. This is getting towards the “fun / no fun” temperature limit for me. At these temps there is a lot of rolling resistance in the system – stiff tires, thick grease, Michelin-man clothes and general lack of initiative all of which conspire to make you feel even more out of condition than you are."

I often question my sanity as I am getting out of my warm bed and climbing into my cold car to make the drive to the trailhead. I would be lucky if my car would even start at those temps

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Then you remember that wonderful crunchy sound the snow makes when you ride over it, and you can't wait to get to the trail.

Candlestick Maker
    That's d@mn cold! Properly dressed, I'm ok down to about 10F. I'd definitely be a huge Michelin man at -10F.
    baker

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You gotta figure that once you're moving 5-10mph, the effective temp on your face is -20 or lower. Way too cold for me. I worked up in Crested Butte/Gunnison a long time ago where the bank's thermometer would routinely read -30. One morning it read -49. Good times.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Did a snow bike ride early December during the cold spell. 1hr 16m of moving time. Outside temp on my car, which is pretty reliable, was -1.

not actually bad :)
    I have commuted 2 different times at -25 (wind chill).
    The 1st was also a blizzard. Wife offered to come get me, I said - nah - it'll be fun. That's back when I was younger and tougher (and dumber), and lived in Arvada - about a 1/2 hour ride.
    2nd was a couple years ago, and I bike/bus/bike commuted only about 20 minutes total on bike.
    Brrrrrr.
    It's a heat wave here right now - saw a guy riding in shorts at 7:15am today.
    Old Codger

old skool newbie
    I like how the email says it's getting towards the fun / no fun temparature limit. So -10 is not cold enough. Its all relative.

I don't like it when the snot in my nose freezes.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    -10F? Positively BALMY...

mtbr member
    Heat wave!!

mtbr member
    I do a lot of work up in AK. It always amazes me how many people I see riding in Anchorage no matter what the weather. Anchorage does have a pretty good bike path system and they even have a snow blower vehicle dedicated to the bike paths.

When I work in Nome up close to the Arctic circle I see a few people riding when things are really nasty. -30 degrees and windy they are still commuting.

One year I got to talk with a couple guys doing the MTB version of the Iditarod after they finished in Nome. Hardcore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Salvagetti Bicycle Shop | One Use for a Surly Pugsley

My buddy bought a pugsley and had it shipped down to his "summer" job in Antarctica this winter...yes, what I said is correct. He's down there now, and I'm sure every day beats any one else's cold unless they've been down there. I'm pretty sure it's not entirely uncommon to see -50 down there in their summer months.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

I just had to see what would come up.....

I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Now older but less slow!
    For me, about 5F is the lowest. Coming from the Midwest a sunny mid winter day around 10F can be quite pleasant as long as there is no wind.
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 01-06-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Alaskan in exile.
    -10F isn't that bad. I was born and raised in Fairbanks, and used to bike-commute to work in temps colder than that. Heck, my high school X-C ski meets weren't cancelled unless it was colder than -25F!
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I had a friend move to the Boston area a few years ago. Our rule was that we didn't ride in lower than +25 F. He joined a club out there and they'd meet in any winter weather. Finally he told them "the thermometer has to be reading above zero F for me to ride with you guys" as they rode off in below zero temps.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

slow
    I have had several nice rides between 0 and -5f over the years, but my limit is negative double digits.

Made the mistake of riding my Trance when it was -9f. Caught some air and the shock stuck down upon landing. Never was the same after that.

banned
    I rode home from work a couple of weeks ago at -15f and it was worth absolutely no fanfare, let alone its own thread. Keep posting new threads though because it'll be great to learn more about how awesome your lighting systems are.

BTW, this Cateye does just fine in -15f:

..ouch
    @scar.. been meaning to ask you - have your lights seen much testing for moto use? Wondering if they throw enough light for higher speed applications.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    I rode home from work a couple of weeks ago at -15f and it was worth absolutely no fanfare, let alone its own thread. Keep posting new threads though because it'll be great to learn more about how awesome your lighting systems are.

Im sure the "folks" that made your light are happy to hear your story.

I will keep supporting a local guy who is one of us and who makes his because that is what he likes to do, and oh- supporting his girls along with a full time job.

but keep rockin the cateye
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Lowest I saw last winter was -22F on the commute to work in Fort Collins. It warmed up to -15F by the time I got to work. Biggest issue was my breath would freeze to my glasses whenever I stopped. My hands were toasty with the Bar Mitts and thin windproof gloves. PI winter shoes were good for the 20 min. commute, but my feet would have been done in another ten minutes. I regularly ride in the 0 to -10 range in the mornings and it really isn't that big of a deal if you dress right. I double up the (thin) windproof layers on top & bottom and use a balaclava on these days.

My cup runneth over
    A couple of years ago I went running in -16F just to see how it was and it wasn't such a big deal RUNNING - ha, biking I can only handle down to +10F.

mtbr member
    Bass! How low can you go?
    Death row what a brother knows
    Once again, back is the incredible
    The rhyme animal
    The incredible D! Public Enemy number one!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Just when you thought he couldn't go any lower, he does.

insert sarcasm here

Chicken, I don't post much, but you sir have inspired me. You really are a giant pile of dousch.

Your bike is incorrigible
    At what point does brake fluid start to get too viscous? I remember reading about it in some article on Ididabike, but I can't recall. Probably a fair bit lower than I'm actually willing to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast