mtbr member

How to link up Palmer Park trails

Was wondering if I could get advice on how to link up the best trails in Palmer Park. I live only about a mile from the park and I have been riding up there on some exploration rides. So far some of my favs are Edna Mae and Kinnikinnik and other parts that I don't know the names of. Haven't hit Templeton yet. I've heard it has some pretty tricky moves on it. I bought a map of the park from a local shop and would love to hear how to link up the best parts.

Anybody willing to share their favorite loops?

Ben

Post or PM a scan of that map and I'll show you my favorite loops.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

Hairshirt Rider
    Ben, the beauty of Palmer is the number of variations you can do once you figure out the trails. As far as templeton goes, it works in either direction and always provides a challenge. Definitely a few places where you will probably walk your bike for short sections. It will probably make you bleed at some point. I recommend riding the whole loop in both directions. Then start exploring the trails that peel off templeton up to the top of the mesa or down to the trail below. Since you live close I also recommend hiking there. You'll see some options that you'll probably miss when riding.

Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook
    Post or PM a scan of that map and I'll show you my favorite loops.
    So are you back in the Springs for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    So are you back in the Springs for a while?
    Yep. Moved to the Denver area and I come down every day for work.

Still try to hit up PP at least once a week.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I too would be interested what people's fav trail loops are as I ride around once a week and since I am new to the area I am sure I am doing it the hard way and there is more fun routes.

J

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Heres afew to look at. You can tell we like Palmer Point. prolly do some variation of these this evening.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11199166

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10031564

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/9547875

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Are there bad loops in Palmer Park??? I can't think of any trails that wouldn't be good to link up!

I think Loudpawlz has the right idea though--Templeton clockwise and then counter-clockwise. I've ridden that trail a thousand times in the last 16 years and never get bored of it.

Anyone want to ride out there next Tuesday night (5/25/10) weather permitting?

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Anyone want to ride out there next Tuesday night (5/25/10) weather permitting?

Under the Amoeba's? With family coming in for my sons HS graduation I prolly wont be able to pull it off but I'll try.

Kristians right, No bad loops up there. Still working my skill level up towards Templeton though so we dont do much there yet.

Curtis

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C
    sons HS graduation
    Congrats!

I hope to ride Palmer someday!
    Old Codger

banned
    Oct 2008

Palmer Park Mtb Race-May 22

Don't forget that there is a bike race at Palmer Park this Saturday, May 22nd.

www.sandcreeksports.com

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Congrats!

I hope to ride Palmer someday!
    Thanks! we are proud of him.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Leaving to go ride Palmer in about 30 min so hope the rain stays away

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Under the Amoeba's?
    With it getting darker so much later, we probably wouldn't need them. My last night ride in Palmer Park was riding down the Edna Mae stairs--easily the most nuts trail I've ridden in the dark.

Living Large in Germany
    Sep 2008
    This is my normal route that I like to ride--I'm not super technical and prefer not to push my bike so I tend to stay off of T-Gap & Edna Mae.

I start out maizeland/academy parking area and go up the GreenCrest-Meadows Trail which turns into the GreenCrest-Castle Trail. I take the hard right up on the Castle Trail and climb up and then meander over to the Lazy Meadow Trail and pick up the GreenCrest-Lazy Trail and hop on the single track on the East side just after the 1st power line pole. At the first cut off I go left and jump over to the Balanced Rock Trail and climb up to the Pine Knoll Trail which turns into the Palmer Point Trail which I take back to Mesa Rd. Going North on Mesa Rd I get on to Lazy Land Rd and immediately take the left onto the Palmer Point Trail and take that all the way to the Lazy Land Parking area. From there I pick up the Palmer Point Trail again and follow that for a bit. Before getting to the stables I take a right onto the Sawgrass Trail and climb back up the Pinhight Trail back to the Palmer Point Trail. Take that past the stables over to the Paseo Rd Parking Area and take the Grandview Trail up to the South Canyon Trail. Take the hard right onto the Cheyenne Trail and climb up to Grandview West Trail. Take a left at the first fork onto Cheyenne Trail South and continue when it merges back onto Grandview Trail. Take this until you can go left onto the Cheyenne Trail again and follow this until the Scrub Oak Trail back to the Grandview Trail. I pop out at Sentinel Point and take the road over to parking area 15, South Knoll. I pick up Kinnickinnick and either go clockwise or counter clockwise back down to parking area 6 across from the dog park.

Crap this is the first time I sat down with a map and figured out which trails I was riding on and that is a bit confusing without a good map. I got mine over at Ascent Cycling on Powers BTW. With the exception of one section at the beginning of the Cheyenne Trail I've cleared all these trail sections at one time or another--once again not a great technical rider but this route keeps me more on the bike than not.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    With it getting darker so much later, we probably wouldn't need them. My last night ride in Palmer Park was riding down the Edna Mae stairs--easily the most nuts trail I've ridden in the dark.
    You thinking just an after work ride? I usually ride PP a couple times a week after work. 5:30ish to 7:00ish. If thats what your thinking count me in, Oh wait unless you plan to hit Edna Mae staircase.

Curtis

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    You thinking just an after work ride? I usually ride PP a couple times a week after work. 5:30ish to 7:00ish. If thats what your thinking count me in, Oh wait unless you plan to hit Edna Mae staircase.

Curtis
    Yeah, I usually get there at 4:30 and ride until dark, but we can do multiple meeting times. I'm up for riding any of the trails--we don't have to ride the gnarly stuff. Actually, if the concensus is to ride the smoother trails, maybe I'll bring the SS and play around with that.

Grams Light Bikes
    we don't have to ride the gnarly stuff
    I thought that was the only fun part?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    I thought that was the only fun part?
    It's not the ONLY fun part--it's just usually the only fun part I focus on

Grams Light Bikes
    It's not the ONLY fun part--it's just usually the only fun part I focus on
    Did T-Gap backwards today, a few hike a bike sections (mostly pulling up the backside above the houses), pretty entertaining!

Can be thrilling when you haven't done the Park in a long time.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN
    Anybody willing to share their favorite loops?
    No. There's been enough braiding and gardening already.

WTF People - follow the existing line or ride somewhere else.