mtbr member
    May 2005

How is Keystone for XCish stuff?

We've all seen how gnarly Keystone is for the big/DH stuff but how about for the not-so-big stuff? We're advanced riders/no armor/4" travel bikes kind of guys and were wondering if there is enough stuff to make a trip up there worth while .
    After a summer of long climbs we are thinking some lift-assisted runs would be fun. Thanks for any ideas on this.
    Jim

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Keystone has plenty of great XC type stuff - lots of twisty, winding singletrack that is perfect for any style of rider. In fact, this type stuff makes up the bulk of riding that Keystone has to offer. The new "big bike" type stuff is substantial, but is more the exception than the rule.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice. Thanks for the information. If the weather isn't too bad I think we are going to hit it tomorrow.
    Jim

Inflexable...
    XC riding is great as stated above....and the forecast is...

Hi Temp:
    38/ 53F (top/base)
    Lo Temp: 27/ 36F (top/base)

Sky Condition:
    Mostly cloudy and cold with scattered rain/ snow showers and isolated thunderstorms possible in the morning. More heavy showers are possible. Snow levels are expected to be near 10,500 feet again, with snowfall accumulation mainly near and above 11,000 feet, and mainly in the morning. Scattered showers and thunderstorms are possible in the afternoon. Showers and thunderstorms end in the late evening.

Precipitation:
    50% chance for rain and snow showers in the morning, dropping to a 30% chance by afternoon - snowfall potential; 1 inch of accumulation above 11,000'.

respect the wildlife
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboCO
    We're advanced riders/no armor/4" travel bikes kind of guys
    There is plenty of good stuff up there for you. Go right off the top of the lift to start on the green runs - Girl Scout to Suzes to Let it Ride, you may be surprised how fun they are. Mosquito Coast (blue) is great as well, lots of speedy, twisty stuff through trees. If you like to go fast, it's really worth checking out the blue runs on the (skier's) right side of the mountain, though you have to take Jack Straw road (or a black run) to get there.

You can try some of the blacks too, a lot of the terrain is totally doable for a strong 4" bike and a good rider. Fun, too - lots of challenging rock gardens, roots, etc. You guys should have a great time exploring the mtn. You may even find you want to go buy a bigger bike and some armor for next time

Have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks again for the details. The weather is the only thing holding us backat this point!

Bite Me.
    Don't limit yourself to just the lift service trails either (although there's plenty of good stuff on the mountain) - you can get some great rolling XC singletrack without too much vertical by checking out the Ranch Loop/Aquaduct trail around the Keystonie Ranch golf course. It's free too. Weather is pretty sh**ty now though.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboCO
    ...advanced riders/no armor/4" travel bikes
    that sounds a lot like my first trip up there a couple of weeks back...
    while i enjoyed it, i think once a year is enough for me. i hit some blue, black, and even double diamond (rode around the jumps) and it was a good time. not something i'd do that often (as a XC/all-mountain rider) but worth a trip up.

if you get a chance, hopefully you'll get to watch a skilled DH'er hitting those jumps in the trees... crazy impressive.

enjoy.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I went up there for the first time a last weekend with my girlfriend. The black stuff (TNT) is fine on a more cross country bike and we did some of the lower double black stuff (Wild Thing). There was some hike-a-bike on Wild Thing but it was still lots of fun.

I liked being able to watch people riding some of the crazier stuff. Cool stuff and makes me want armor and a downhill bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0