Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    153

    How do you stay connected?

    I'm new to the area and staying connected has never been a problem on my previous trails. A lot of the riding I do is by myself and I've found my cell phone more often than not doesn't get reception out the trails.

    What are you guys using to stay connected, especially in an emergency situation?

  2. #2
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan The VW Tech View Post
    I'm new to the area and staying connected has never been a problem on my previous trails. A lot of the riding I do is by myself and I've found my cell phone more often than not doesn't get reception out the trails.

    What are you guys using to stay connected, especially in an emergency situation?
    Welcome to the neighborhood.

    Recent thread on this subject:

    Surviving a night out, injured in below freezing temps and high winds?

    (It has some sleeping/bivvy bag-motorcycle-injury scenario-firearm content, but the stuff about locators is pretty informative)
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  3. #3
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,655
    I don't worry about it. Of course, I was riding bikes way before mobile phones/GPS/Spot trackers/etc were ubiquitous.

  4. #4
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,253
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I don't worry about it. Of course, I was riding bikes way before mobile phones/GPS/Spot trackers/etc were ubiquitous.
    Good point.

    Back in the good old days, I just rode with a dog all the time. If I got hurt I'd just grab the dog's collar and yell "Lassie, go get help!"
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  5. #5
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,836
    I ride often in places where I don't have reception. Bring a cell phone just in case, though. There are lots of places up in them thar hills where you can text but not call. Also, be aware enough to tell people where you're going, your route, etc.

    Oh, and get a CORSAR card, too. YOu can get them at REI or with a fishing/hunting license. It's basically search and rescue insurance.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  6. #6
    Adventurous Hacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    426
    Part of the joy of moiuntain biking out west is the opportunity to get fully dis-connected.

    Of course that comes with a greater degree of risk and personal responsibility (which may also enhance the experience).
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    153
    A couple years ago, back home during our (local volunteer mtb advocacy group) yearly XC race fund raiser there was a guy who managed to inhale a wasp during the race. He chugged water hoping to drown it it down but it crawled up and it stung him in his esophagus a few times. His throat started to swell closed and he was having a rough time breathing. 2 other racers stopped and had cell phones, one called 911, one called a spectator there with them and told them to get emergency people down there asap. That guy literally had his life saved by people ridding with cell phones. Ever since that race I have never ridden without a cell phone again. I throw it in my pack and either turn it off or put it on airplane mode if I have a virtual trail map saved on it, but I never ride without it. I'm just not used to it not working if I NEED it to.

  8. #8
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,655
    Well... to be honest - you may simply have to get used to it not working. There are a lot of remote places out here and IMO you shouldn't *COUNT* on electronic doohickies working.

    Sometimes a map and compass and the knowledge to use them are more valuable than any electronic gadget.

  9. #9
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,253

    Cell phone == luggage, be careful.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Well... to be honest - you may simply have to get used to it not working. There are a lot of remote places out here and IMO you shouldn't *COUNT* on electronic doohickies working.

    Sometimes a map and compass and the knowledge to use them are more valuable than any electronic gadget.
    The man speaks wisely.

    Quite surprising considering who he is.

    It's just the reality of the world out here.

    #1. Cell phones need line of sight. To have line of sight to a tower wherever you happen to be up in them thar hills, there would need to be one on every little ridge top. Once you've crawled around out there you realize, just because the mountain looks like one smooth slope with a couple little wrinkles, it ain't. It's all full of little draws and gulches. From the ridge top you can often get enough signal to text, but not enough to make a call unless you're pretty close to civilization.
    #2. Population density out here just isn't what it is in, uh, more populated places. You can expect to get coverage in the cities and for the most part along the US highways and many of the state highways. But once you get very far from those things, there just plain is not enough incentive for the cell companies to build a bunch of towers. Lots of them would not get used for months at a time, if not more.
    #3. Even if you do get cell coverage from some of the places that are way the heck out there, it takes time often to get help to you. If you're dying because of an allergic reaction and you can't stay alive for more than half hour (sometimes longer), well, you're gonna die.

    I was on my way to Moab a couple months ago. I was with a paramedic (off duty of course) and we came upon a rollover accident on I-70. Cars stopped, jeep on its roof, the whole deal. There was totally cell coverage. We stopped because my friend needed to see if he could help even though he wasn't in his home territory. Turns out things were more or less OK, didn't look like the driver was in danger of dying or anything...

    So we get back up to 80 mph. We drive for 10 minutes. Then, after all that time, there goes the ambulance, probably coming from Green River, UT.

    My point? Even on an interstate highway, with somebody placing a call right after the accident, that person was at least 40 minutes from somebody getting there to help.

    So, if you're going to play outside here in the big open west, be prepared to take care of yourself. Don't expect your cell or any other damn thing to save your life. Don't take stupid chances. Bring food water and clothing.

    That is all.

    Once again, welcome to the neighborhood.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  10. #10
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,655
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    The man speaks wisely.

    Quite surprising considering who he is.
    Damned by faint praise.

  11. #11
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    The real question is whether you're an air-cooled or a water-cooled VW tech. If water-cooled, it's AMFYOYO, but if air-cooled, there will be a disturbance in the force & I will personally save you or have one of my minions do it.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,844
    I guess my simple answer to the original question is I don't. I still rely on the old, this is where I'm going and this is when I'll return if going solo.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  13. #13
    Stiff yet compliant
    Reputation: Moustache rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF View Post
    The real question is whether you're an air-cooled or a water-cooled VW tech.
    He is an air cooled VW tech. Here is his picture as proof.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do you stay connected?-caveman.jpg  


  14. #14
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider View Post
    He is an air cooled VW tech. Here is his picture as proof.
    Rock and stick, eh? That would make him a water cooled VW tech.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  15. #15
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    I ride often in places where I don't have reception. Bring a cell phone just in case, though. There are lots of places up in them thar hills where you can text but not call. Also, be aware enough to tell people where you're going, your route, etc.

    Oh, and get a CORSAR card, too. YOu can get them at REI or with a fishing/hunting license. It's basically search and rescue insurance.
    You can get it online: https://dola.colorado.gov/sar/orderInstructions.jsf

    I do mine 5 years at a time.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MtbRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    910
    Yup, the way I handle it is I tell people where I am going, ride within my limits, and I bring my cell phone along in case I have coverage. If I am going on an epic ride I try to bring a few friends along. And I carry an epi-pen during wasp and bee season (though I am not at all sure I would be brave enough to use it on myself)

    Seriously though, for most weekday rides, you are going to be close enough to the populated areas of the Front Range that the odds of someone happening along before you die of exposure or bleed to death are pretty high.

    I am amazed at the number of folks out there who worry about how to defend themselves if they are attacked by mountain lions, or what to do if they get injured and don't have phone coverage, or how to avoid getting lost if their GPS malfunctions... it is a wonder they ever leave the pavement.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

  17. #17
    The 5th knuckle
    Reputation: jaycastlerock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,609
    I just ride with enough people to take care of my butt. One to help me get my bike to the nearest road, one to pick me up at said road, one to put my bike in the car and take me to the hospital, and one to pick me up from the hospital and take me back to my car. Works pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

  18. #18
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,836
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN View Post

    I am amazed at the number of folks out there who worry about how to defend themselves if they are attacked by mountain lions, or what to do if they get injured and don't have phone coverage, or how to avoid getting lost if their GPS malfunctions... it is a wonder they ever leave the pavement.
    Me too. I ran into a guy in the forest just today that was geocaching. Older guy, up from Denver, didn't know where he was in unfamiliar terrain. Battery on his GPS had died and he didn't have a map. Seriously? Bring a map and figure out how to use it man! Fortunately I was there to help him out. He had no idea.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    153
    I don't rely on a cell phone, it doesn't get reception, hence this thread, but you guys are probably right, there's no reason to try to be prepared for the just in case, it's a lot more logical to live in fantasy land and pretend nothing can ever happen then it would be to just toss a locator beacon in my camebak and hope I never have to touch it.



    I do appreciate the replies that have been on topic and helpful. That first link to the other thread had a lot of good info in it.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,844
    +1 for "fantasy land" brah
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,145
    Denial is not a river in Egypt. I have a spot locator, never had to use it, but nice to know it's there. Aren't you glad you asked for advice on this forum?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MtbRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    910
    1) Let someone know where you are going and when you will be back. Check in with them when you return.

    2) Know where you are going. If you've never been there, get a map, a trail guide, read a trail description, look at the area on google earth. Do this even if you are going with someone who has been there dozens of times and "knows the route". When you are riding, stop at significant junctions or landmarks, look at your map and make sure of your route.

    3) Bring what you need to fix your bike for common mechanicals. Bring a layer of warm clothes (even in summer you can get caught in weather). Bring adequate water and food for your ride, plus a little.

    4) Take a buddy with you. It is more fun to ride with someone and you have backup.

    5) By all means take your cell phone, your GPS, and your SPOT. But batteries and signals fail (as you have already found out). So having the LOW tech stuff that does not fail is important. Because some places you can't "stay connected". And electronics are no substitute for adequate planning and good common sense.

    6) Let someone know where you are going and when you will be back. Check in with them when you return.

    Is that more useful for you?
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

  23. #23
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN View Post
    1) Let someone know where you are going and when you will be back. Check in with them when you return.

    2) Know where you are going. If you've never been there, get a map, a trail guide, read a trail description, look at the area on google earth. Do this even if you are going with someone who has been there dozens of times and "knows the route". When you are riding, stop at significant junctions or landmarks, look at your map and make sure of your route.

    3) Bring what you need to fix your bike for common mechanicals. Bring a layer of warm clothes (even in summer you can get caught in weather). Bring adequate water and food for your ride, plus a little.

    4) Take a buddy with you. It is more fun to ride with someone and you have backup.

    5) By all means take your cell phone, your GPS, and your SPOT. But batteries and signals fail (as you have already found out). So having the LOW tech stuff that does not fail is important. Because some places you can't "stay connected". And electronics are no substitute for adequate planning and good common sense.

    6) Let someone know where you are going and when you will be back. Check in with them when you return.

    Is that more useful for you?
    GOTWA. It's not just a bankrupt airline.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,844
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    Aren't you glad you asked for advice on this forum?
    I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic. Dude comes in and asks for advice cause he heard second hand that someone swallowed a wasp at some race he was at. Doesn't get the answers he wants apparently. Posts a b!tchy response in which he comments on using a beacon. Obviously he had his answer already. What do you want?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  25. #25
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,253
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN View Post
    ...6) Let someone know where you are going and when you will be back. Check in with them when you return...
    What if there isn't anybody on earth who cares if you live or die other than three cats and your mortgage lender?
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •