Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

how do you secure your in garage stored bikes?

yesterday i came home and found someone attempted to get into my garage. it is detached garage with man door in the back. prying marks around the lock. got scared by someone most likely, as otherwise dont think there is problem to pry that door open. so i am wandering how people secure bikes in the garage. taking bikes inside the house is no option as we have quite a few of them. so i am thinking some kind of alarm, loud alarm installed in garage with motion sensors. was thinking of locking bikes to the concrete floor too, but i think its more important to secure the doors, so you are aware when someone breaks in. without it they have all the time inside to break any type of lock you might use. the lock seems to be good idea for when you accidentally forget to close garage door to prevent someone just run in and grab the bike. anyways, interested to hear how other people secure their bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I just put a u-lock on my front wheel and frame, so at least if someone snagged it they would not be able to ride away and would have to damage bike to remove. Made the dumb mistake on Colfax of not locking front wheel and came back and about 15 bikes had front wheels missing.

Twin Six METAL Team
    All of my bikes hang vertically along the back wall of my third garage. I have eye bolts mounted at each end of the row of bikes, with some heavy-duty pad locks and 1" braided cables that I run through the frames. Perfect? Probably not, but it'll slow them down a little. I also keep the overhead door locked, and the side door has the knob lock, as well as two deadbolts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Pretty soon we are going to move most of our bikes to the garage (about 22 of them, the rest stay in the living room and shop) and I'm very worry about thief's even if we live in a really safe part of town.

For now I place a film on the small windows above the garage floor so is difficult to see inside but that will be render useless if somebody see inside when I have the door open, so I'm thinking "Curtains" even plastic ones like they have on "meat shops" but will be difficult to install since the automatic door open upwards..

Trips for Kids Denver
    I started by taking pictures of all the bikes and adventure gear in the garage and declaring the value up front on my homeowners insurance.

I cable lock all the bikes to the high/low racks that I use for storage also.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    twowheelfunman has the first part right. Take photos and put them on your homeowners policy.

Signs are inexpensive deterrents.
    High voltage
    Beware of Dog
    Security Service Stickers on windows
    NRA stickers

and dummy cameras are pretty cheap too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    twowheelfunman has the first part right. Take photos and put them on your homeowners policy.

Signs are inexpensive deterrents.
    High voltage
    Beware of Dog
    Security Service Stickers on windows
    NRA stickers

and dummy cameras are pretty cheap too.
    Add motion detector lights, and ADT sign in the front yard to this list. A great Pyrenees that lives in the garage helps too. They are good down to about 10 below and love the cold garages.

mtbr member
    I had 3 bikes stolen from my detached garage 2 weeks ago (thread is in this forum). We have an ADT sign on the back gate which they went through - so that didn't stop them. We have a motion detector light (which was working the night it happened) on the alley side next to the gate - that didn't stop them.

Too little too late.... The day after my bikes were stolen I bought a bunch of padlocks and now a thief will have to spend time cutting 3 padlocks to get to where my bikes ought to be. This should hopefully deter - or else at least slow down and make some noise.

By the time I save up enough $ to purchase another bike, I hope to have another motion detector light above the side door into the garage; I should notice this going off from my bedroom. I will also have a thick chain link and lock setup for my bike in the garage.

My wife and I are deciding if we want an actual alarm system installed - Personally, I think this is the best way to keep thieves from getting away with our stuff and potentially get caught.

If you are a home owner, it could cost a lot to tap into your home insurance policy to claim a bike. It is proving cost INeffective for me to claim all 3 bikes under our home owners (partially b/c of my next sentence). Luckily though, we had a "personal item policy" on my wife's bike - so we will easily claim that with fewer negative effects to our home owners (hopefully).

IMO, as far as insurance goes - I recommend looking into setting up a "personal item policy" if you have a spendy bike or two. I'm wishing I got around to establishing one for my nice bike.....but nothing I can do about it now.

"I want it now!"
    Having been the target of many home invasions, I've learned a few things over the years. Your best defense is good insurance! You can create deterrents but if they want in, they're getting in.

You have to weigh the financial costs of the deterrents over the cost of your insurance deductible to see if its worth it.

For example, by the time you are done with your contract with ADT its close to $3000 in monitoring fees. When that alarm is activated, that call goes into a police queue and calls are on a priority basis….and a home invasion alarm is not a high priority as most departments are spread thin.

Security lights and fake cameras are a deterrent but the thieves use the large purple recycling bins in the alley to climb up on your roof and disable these devices or simply knock them off the wall.

Angry dog in backyard signs don't work either as they just grab a shovel or other tool in your yard to use if your dog approaches them.

I know I sound jaded, but thieves these days are brazen and will go around whatever you throw at them.

Here are a few things I have done to help eliminate the possibility of having my bikes walk out of my garage:

Metal security door on the outside of garage door (best bang for your buck).
    Bars on the window and window painted over so no one can see the goods.
    Slide lock on the one garage that is not in use with a remote control.
    Bikes cable locked inside garage.
    Zip tie through the emergency release handle on garage door. They will fish a wire through the garage door and the moulding and pull that handle which will release the door opener.
    Garage only goes up to remove car then its immediately lowered. You'd be surprised how many people crawl the allies looking for opportunities.
    Good insurance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    no one really has sound alarm in their garage? i dont mean whole house system, just motion sensor pointed at the bikes and hooked to the siren loud enough to make you leave the space. garage is not big space and loud ring is quite annoying to stand. besides you can quickly get there with your baseball bat or other instrument of choice to at least scare them away. this is what i am thinking to do.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is masking your address (and those of your riding buddies) on Strava if you leave from your house on rides. The less you advertise where thieves can find $$ bikes, the better!

mtbr member
    While you post your garage security, also post your address, it will be easier to find your house, and I already know what I'm up against.
    PS, when is that trip you were planning?

My point is while exchanging ideas about garage security is a great idea, I wonder if we are helping thieves by telling our good ideas on the forums.

Wouldn't it be better to keep our security measures secret?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    1) Homeowners insurance
    2) Castle Law

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I have a dog

He barks a lot, he may or may not tear the living crap out of a stranger entering my house or yard, who knows (I do guarantee that if the UPS man entered my house he would probably get eaten)

No one will enter my yard, he just sounds vicious and I prefer he continues this behavior

I also have kids and don't ever want anyone entering my house or yard

my bikes are locking in a locked garage, my get through a locked door, and then another locked door to get to the locked bikes..

I feel confident in my security system, however, I have pics of all the bikes as well..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Oh, and since you asked, I use poison tipped dart blowers that are triggered by buttons on the floor. If you get past those, there is a patch of sunlight that triggers some spikes that fling out of the wall. Just in case that doesn't get you, there is a large boulder that will roll down and crush you (provided that the natives waiting for you with bows and spears don't get you first).

"I want it now!"
    We all have our own ideas about what security looks like to us. Just as we adapt to their tactics, they adjust to ours.

Just have to make your house/garage less appealing to them then your neighbors with visible security measures….but if they want in, most likely they'll get in.

As far as defending your garage with an instrument of choice…not sure that will hold up in court. Especially a detached garage.

I watched a guy trying to break into my garage from my second story window last January and as much as I wanted to pull out my shot gun, I just called 911 and let the professionals deal with him.

On the bright side of a bike theft, you get a cool new whip for the upcoming riding season!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    Oh, and since you asked, I use poison tipped dart blowers that are triggered by buttons on the floor. If you get past those, there is a patch of sunlight that triggers some spikes that fling out of the wall. Just in case that doesn't get you, there is a large boulder that will roll down and crush you (provided that the natives waiting for you with bows and spears don't get you first).

Before anyone actually gets an idea like this, there was a case in the early 90's in Denver where a guy was tired of getting ripped off over and over, and he set a shotgun with a trip wire in his garage. It worked.

He was arrested, convicted, and skewered in the press by the bleeding hearts in Denver.

Denver Citizens Support Man In Booby Trap Killing - Chicago Tribune

Booby Trap Death Brings Fine - NYTimes.com

mtbr member
    Are there any stats to show where the bikes are being stolen from most often? Are there any areas safe from thieves?

mtbr member

how do you secure your in garage stored bikes?

Get some thick plastic coated braided cable at the hardware store and use crips to make loops at each end. Lock each loop to something secure and have the cable running through all the bikes. I have my cable going there and back, so I can go through frames and then back through the wheels. Also a (dummy) camera in the garage or even over the outside door may help. I also make sure to pull our other car all the way up against the garage door when we leave town so it would be impossible to open the garage door to haul out the large mass of bikes. I also have a lot of boxes stacked up in a way that when the garage door is open, someone on the street can't see the bikes/gear; just looks like I'm a junk hoarder...

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by maddslacker View Post
    1) Homeowners insurance
    2) Castle Law
    We don't have a Castle Law in our state, but I live in the sticks and everyone within earshot knows I have a range in the back yard. I'll fall back on the first suggestion with the addition of motion sensing lights inside my garage and a dog outside. If someone really want's my bikes they'll likely get them. The last bike I had stolen (off my wife's car) wasn't locked although we use a lock now. We also have a BS law that protects Pawn Brokers who buy stolen bikes (you have to pay them the ticket value for your bike). I always thought if I found my bike in a Pawn Shop I'd "test ride" it home and dare the law to come after me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    one simple thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the screws on the hinge side of the door. Many moons ago in downtown Seattle, we were regularly being "visited" and seemed to bypass the deadbold by attacking the hinges - held in by stupid little maybe 1" wood screws.

I decided to rebuild the framing around the door such that there wasn't as big of a gap between the jamb and the framing. When we put the new door in, we were able to use some monster "hinge bolts" like these

SECURITY HINGE BOLTS EB BRASS PLATED STEEL WITH FIXING SCREWS ( 3 pairs ) - Amazon.com

and some sort of buffed up screws that went through the hinge into the studs. saw some pry marks and footprints on the door but they stopped getting into my basement - at least as much as I could tell.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by maddslacker View Post
    1) Homeowners insurance
    2) Castle Law
    CO has "Make My Day" Law

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    CO has "Make My Day" Law

Here's the deal. Even with a Castle Law and legal justification, you can count on Lawyer fees that are a decimal place higher than the value of your bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had three bikes stolen from my detached garage on the alley, during the day, in which the bikes were all locked together with a 30ft cable and U-Lock. The thieves used my own tools (sledge hammer and sawzall) to damage the structure the cable was looped through. I'm not sure how they carried these bikes out the garage door, but they did, while I drove my wife to the airport.

Allsate had no idea how to value a 1996 Cannondale Killer V 500 with XTR parts and Bontrager Race Light wheels. They gave me $2,800 for it, even though it was 7 years old at the time. I also had a Specialized FS Stumpjumper that was a year old, and my wife had a Schwinn Moab with a bunch of upgrades, but it was old. I was adament that the insurance adjuster did not drag her feet, and she took my itemized list of bikes/parts to a bike shop for the value. We had replacement value insurance policy. They gave us the depreciated value of the bikes (~$400 total) and if we bought new bikes, they sent us a check for the difference.

I know make sure I have good homeowners insurance on the bikes. I have a very good insurance guy that also bikes, and has had a bike stolen, so he understands. If you need a good one, PM me.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Here's the deal. Even with a Castle Law and legal justification, you can count on Lawyer fees that are a decimal place higher than the value of your bike.
    I'm not advocating shooting a bike thief. I'm just pointing out that CO doesn't have a "Castle Law", we have a "Make My Day" law which is different and doesn't offer the protection offered in other states.

If I had to choose a weapon to stop a thief, I would choose a dog and a taser and maybe a baseball bat... but the dog alone has worked well for us so far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast