Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

How is Buffalo Creek right now?

We might head over to Buffalo Creek today but with the snow on Thursday evening, thought I would see if anyone was over there on Friday or had thoughts on what conditions would be like. Thanks ahead of time.

mtbr member
    It will be perfect, I can almost guarantee it.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It will be perfect, I can almost guarantee it.
    I would echo this statement.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hero kitty litter. Hero snow. Hero sand. Go getcha some!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks. We headed out there today and it was perfect. Was nice and warm thru-out the middle of the day and then a little chilly as the afternoon wore on. Snow only in the odd shady places. Great day of riding right after a snow day. You have to love CO for that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Rode out there yesterday(down shinglemill, up baldy, down gashouse and up morrison/shinglemill). The dirt was absolutely perfect shy of the extremely isolated wet patch in the trees. First time riding that route/those trails. Very fun for a mid distance ride.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I did a big loop out there yesterday and everything was perfect except for the CT West of Shinglemill. It was sloppy for quite a few miles. I have to remember to skip that section! Doh!! No trail damage just spray from the melting snow got me wet and cold.
    2012 Rumblefish Elite, 2015 Minnesota 2 Fatbike, 2010 Superfly 100 Carbon, 2014 CAAD 10 roadie

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Also road there yesterday. A fun loop is up Nice Kitty, to Buffalo Burn, to CT and down Shinglemill. Conditions were awesome. Set a new PR on the shinglemill descent (including pulling over for a group of 3) and almost broke into the teens in strava ranking LOL.

Trips for Kids Denver
    One of these times the entire downhill run will be wide open for you!
    2012 Rumblefish Elite, 2015 Minnesota 2 Fatbike, 2010 Superfly 100 Carbon, 2014 CAAD 10 roadie

BLKSS29RGD
    It was perfect this last Sunday.

mtbr member
    Can anyone comment on how much snow BC ended up with and the odds of it being dry by Saturday afternoon?

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by bart.taylor.sucks View Post
    Can anyone comment on how much snow BC ended up with and the odds of it being dry by Saturday afternoon?
    someone asked the same thing in another thread. My answer:

Well, I was at Buffalo Creek yesterday. It looked like this to start:
    <iframe src="//instagram.com/p/gJDVJyjgui/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

And this when we ended:

<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/gJDHMRjguT/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

If it's warm and sunny, you might be alright.

BLKSS29RGD
    just checked w a friend that lives nearby BC - they got 1 inch of snow. Things are already almost dried out. Weekend will be awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trialsguy315 View Post
    just checked w a friend that lives nearby BC - they got 1 inch of snow. Things are already almost dried out. Weekend will be awesome.
    Perfect! Thanks.

Paste eater
    FWIW, it was very spotty. We got caught 6 miles from the parking lot up near Black Jack. There was close to 3inches in some places and still snow. By the time we got to Pine there was 0 snow.

mtbr member
    Snowed pretty good last night and into the afternoon here in Summit. Any word on whether Buff Creek stayed dry?

mtbr member
    good to go as of today.

How is Buffalo Creek right now?-untitled.jpg

BLKSS29RGD
    PERFECT today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    PERFECT today.
    It was great yesterday except for the huge groups of people stopped all over the trails/intersections

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    It was great yesterday except for the huge groups of people stopped all over the trails/intersections

Just folks out having fun and getting some exercise. I was out there and had zero issue. everyone yielded as needed, and made room if they were stopped. A stranger loaned me a tool that I didn't have that I needed. What's not to like?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Just folks out having fun and getting some exercise. I was out there and had zero issue. everyone yielded as needed, and made room if they were stopped. A stranger loaned me a tool that I didn't have that I needed. What's not to like?
    Agreed, I was out and had nothing but positive interactions with people. It was a 60 degree day in November and there are still lots of Boulder area trails closed, big crowds were to be expected.

Honestly, once we got out of the parking lot, we didn't see that many people and those we did were all like minded people having a good time. What a great day to ride, our group had a blast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    Agreed, I was out and had nothing but positive interactions with people. It was a 60 degree day in November and there are still lots of Boulder area trails closed, big crowds were to be expected.

Honestly, once we got out of the parking lot, we didn't see that many people and those we did were all like minded people having a good time. What a great day to ride, our group had a blast.
    Parking lot is always crowded, I've never encountered that many people on the trails before though. Ran into one group (5 or 6) just stopped in the middle of the trail with no easy way around, and two other groups (10+) blocking trail intersections, bikes everywhere etc. I really don't care... just a little inconsiderate.

Rocks belong
    Rode BC on Sunday afternoon.

It. Was. Beautiful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Was there much snow last night and this morning? I'm hoping to head up there for the Big Loop this Sunday morning...

mtbr member
    It was perfect Saturday too, albeit a little cold to start.

mtbr member
    I've got some vacation time to burn and I was thinking about getting out there tomorrow or Friday during some of these warmer days. I don't have much in the way of "I AM NOT A DEER!" livery other than a not-so-bright red windbreaker. Bad idea?

mtbr member
    I wore blue and black and didn't get shot at. Much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
    I've got some vacation time to burn and I was thinking about getting out there tomorrow or Friday during some of these warmer days. I don't have much in the way of "I AM NOT A DEER!" livery other than a not-so-bright red windbreaker. Bad idea?
    Go by Walmart and get a cheap mesh orange hunting vest. You can probably get one for less than $10 and that's a cheap investment to reduce your chances of getting shot. There were probably 6 hunters going down shinglemill from the lot to the road Saturday. Some might consider a vest overkill, but I'd rather be that than just plain killed.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
    I rode last Sunday and saw no hunters. I heard shooting near the Buck Gulch TH, but you hear shooting there year round.

I wouldn't wear your deer or elk costume but your brightest jersey should be sufficient. I wore a bright red long sleeve jersey and didn't feel too paranoid.

Formerly Carlos9
    Is there a Buffalo Creek map available out there that's shows distances or trail lengths from intersections? Or if I throw route up here, can someone tell me the distance? I have limited amount of time on Saturday and want to make sure I can get back on the road in time to get home...
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool Boy View Post
    Is there a Buffalo Creek map available out there that's shows distances or trail lengths from intersections? Or if I throw route up here, can someone tell me the distance? I have limited amount of time on Saturday and want to make sure I can get back on the road in time to get home...
    How long are you looking to ride(distance/time)? I'm sure some people would be happy to suggest some routes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan12210 View Post
    How long are you looking to ride(distance/time)? I'm sure some people would be happy to suggest some routes.
    2.5-3 hrs... I usually do the same route (543-shinglemill-morrison-543-gashouse-miller gulch-Charlie's-homestead-sandy wash) but feel like changing it up. I'm riding with someone who can handle the distance but isn't that quick. Not that I am but he's a bit slower than me! Anyway, I just don't want to stuck an hr from the truck because we bite off more than we can chew.

Can you list the trails on that loop? It looks very similar to the route I was considering but the map doesn't show all the names!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    2.5-3 hrs... I usually do the same route (543-shinglemill-morrison-543-gashouse-miller gulch-Charlie's-homestead-sandy wash) but feel like changing it up. I'm riding with someone who can handle the distance but isn't that quick. Not that I am but he's a bit slower than me! Anyway, I just don't want to stuck an hr from the truck because we bite off more than we can chew.

Can you list the trails on that loop? It looks very similar to the route I was considering but the map doesn't show all the names!
    Nice Kitty, Colorado trail, Tramway,Green mt loop, Redskin, Gashouse,Charlies, Sandy wash downhill to TR

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Little shorter than the route you listed, but starting at the shinglemill lot, going down shinglemill, up baldy, down gashouse, up morrison is a good ride. I think it's 16 miles.

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by eggdog View Post
    Nice Kitty, Colorado trail, Tramway,Green mt loop, Redskin, Gashouse,Charlies, Sandy wash downhill to TR
    Perfect! I think I'll do this exact loop!

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan12210 View Post
    Little shorter than the route you listed, but starting at the shinglemill lot, going down shinglemill, up baldy, down gashouse, up morrison is a good ride. I think it's 16 miles.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    This is probably around a 35 mile ride....not sure how fast you are but knocking that out in 2.5 to 3 hours is a pretty strong pace.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    This is probably around a 35 mile ride....not sure how fast you are but knocking that out in 2.5 to 3 hours is a pretty strong pace.
    Yep. When I've done that loop, we've gone down Tramway to Gashouse ending on Sandy. Never included the Green Mtn loop, but that would certaintly add mileage!

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Not that fast!!! Thanks for the heads up... But I,m confused?! Eggdogs link to Strava shows it as 25 miles... Not saying you're wrong, just wondering what the discrepancy is?

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Yep. When I've done that loop, we've gone down Tramway to Redskin & Gashouse ending on Sandy. Never included the Green Mtn loop, but that would certaintly add mileage!
    That is the other route I was considering. How long is it if you cut out Green Mountain and Redskin and just head up [down?] Tramway to 543 and up Gashouse or Baldy and down Sandy Wash?

Rocks belong
    That is the other route I was considering. How long is it if you cut out Green Mountain and Redskin and just head up [down?] Tramway to 543 and up Gashouse or Baldy and down Sandy Wash?
    Just edited my post. CT >> Tramway >> 543 >> Baldy >> Charlies >> Sandy. I don't think I've ridden Redskin.

The loop I've described is 23-25 miles. Nice ride. You'll be tired but not worked to exhaustion. Have beer at the vehicle!

Formerly Carlos9
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Just edited my post. CT >> Tramway >> 543 >> Baldy >> Charlies >> Sandy. I don't think I've ridden Redskin.

The loop I've described is 23-25 miles. Nice ride. You'll be tired but not worked to exhaustion. Have beer at the vehicle!
    Sweet, thats just the distance I was looking for! I may have a beer at the top of Baldy too Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Not that fast!!! Thanks for the heads up... But I,m confused?! Eggdogs link to Strava shows it as 25 miles... Not saying you're wrong, just wondering what the discrepancy is?

This is the loop minus Green Mt and Redskin

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Buff creek w/ Catherine and Keith, Pine, CO near Pine | Times and Records | Strava

Formerly Carlos9
    Ha, thanks! It appears you've ridden every possible combo of trails at Buffalo Creek!

mtbr member
    Is the hunting season over?
    Or, could I be still hunted?
    thx.

Rocks belong
    24.1mi
    I was close with my 23-25 mi guess

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hello! Hoping to get out there on Saturday, does anyone have any recent trail condition info? Snowy or good to go?

Thanks!

Formerly Carlos9
    Rode this loop today... What a blast! Nice Kitty is a great addition to Buffalo Creek and the section of the CO trail to Tramway is awesome too. Nice to be in the trees out there. Thanks for the map!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

recent snow??

Anyone been down to Buf crk with the recent snow? wondering how the conditions are down there for a potential ride on sunday...

Motion activated
    I drove 285 from Denver to KP last night and there was about 1-3" of snow most of the way.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast