mtbr member

How is the Bicycle Village “Deals on Wheels” sale?

I’ve never talked to anyone who has been to the big tent sale they currently have slated for March 7-8th in Aurora. Wondering if it’s worth the drive or it they’re just making deals on all their low end bikes and old apparel? Anyone have any beta so I’ll know if it’s worth the 1.5hr drive?
    "Get busy living, or get busy dieing!"

Goat of Legend
    Haven't been to that one but did get a new set of Enduro Humvee Manpres from the one in Littleton for $30...retail is around $90.

mtbr member
    bicycle village is the worst....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead
    bicycle village is the worst....

They are better then derby they really suck..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klein_Christopher
    They are better then derby they really suck..
    Does hungryhead work for Derby? The Derby Bicycle shop on 104th is the closest bike shop to my house, but they seem to have the worst attitude ever. It's like "Oh you need something, here it is, going to buy anything else? No? Then GTFO." Not to mention their prices seem to be the most expensive in the area. I gave them a chance because of their proximity, but I tend to avoid that place now.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    lol - no bicycle shop would ever hire me to work on bikes! I really have no idea about the bicycle village in aurora - i had an 'experience' with the shop on wads/bowles which has caused me to boycott all bicycle villages.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead
    lol - no bicycle shop would ever hire me to work on bikes! I really have no idea about the bicycle village in aurora - i had an 'experience' with the shop on wads/bowles which has caused me to boycott all bicycle villages.
    I had 2 really bad experiences at the Bicycle Village at Wadsworth and 92nd in Broomfield.
    LMB

mtbr member
    My wife worked at that BV location for a bit. It was really disorganized. She stayed long enough to get a couple of pro-deals and quit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They do have a bunch of high end bikes at great prices but who in their right mind would buy an S-works stumpjumper at retail let alone 30-40% off?

Sign up on their website and they will send you a coupon for 50% of any clothing item. At least get a nice jacket or bike short for half price.

I am not a big fan of BV but at least they are not rude and condescending to me when i need to return something or ask a simple question.
    Some items i will buy there because their prices are impossible to beat and other items I will support my LBS.

I am sure this is where everyone starts the support your local LBS, I will support a LBS put i refuse to pay over retail for products unless it's under special circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt-Rode
    I’ve never talked to anyone who has been to the big tent sale they currently have slated for March 7-8th in Aurora. Wondering if it’s worth the drive or it they’re just making deals on all their low end bikes and old apparel? Anyone have any beta so I’ll know if it’s worth the 1.5hr drive?

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I'm digging that 50% off coupon they sent out today. I think that might be enough to make me go check the sale out.

Got single track/speed?
    I bought my 2 kids Specialized Hotrock MTBs and BV gave me the best deal of any Specialized dealer in the area. Went to the (absolute zoo) tent sale last year with my 50% off coupon and bought a jersey. It was too small and took it back after the sale and they gave me 50% off any other jersey I wanted.

Seemed to be pretty cool people in Aurora.

Now, if you want to talk lame, don't go to Treads in Parker.

-Chuck

hehe ...you said "member"
    Their selection on MTBikes has always seemed quite limited to me, but like Chuck(joga) said, I have bought all three of my kid's bikes with deals/coupons at screamin' deals. I would trust them to tune my kids bikes (they offer life-time tunes if bought there) but I'd rather teach my kids to do it themselves with me teaching them ... They love to get to wrench on their bikes with me in the garage ... Guess I'll take being cool for as long as I can

Never been to one of their tent sales, but if you're a crowd person - go for it. I'd rather sign up for their web-coupons and go to the store at my conveniece. Better yet, support your LBS and get what you want without the corporate BS/markup/attitude. I love my LBS (GM Sports) where I can get a wheel tuned while drinking a cold one with the techs who are working on my bike.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    BV Aurora has been excellent for the past few years (since I found the store). The people are waiting at the front door to help customers, and the service department rocks! The service guys (Steve O and Grom in particular) are amazing. I've had my tri bike race prepped several times by both of them. Last summer they helped me build my singlespeed, and maintained my Titus Racer X (race prep too). I bought my kids bikes there as well. I always find great deals on tubes, spare parts and clothing at BV Aurora which is my LBS!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've shopped at the 92nd&Wads location (Westminster, btw - not Broomfield). I've found their staff to be friendly and helpful. To a certain degree I value that above pricing. I try to support the 'lbs', but when they give me bs and attitude I spend my dollars elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by co_Intense
    I've shopped at the 92nd&Wads location (Westminster, btw - not Broomfield). I've found their staff to be friendly and helpful. To a certain degree I value that above pricing. I try to support the 'lbs', but when they give me bs and attitude I spend my dollars elsewhere.
    You're right. I work up the road in Broomfield, so was thinking Broomfield. Just don't get service there. I've had 2 major issues with work done on my bike at that location. It might be worth it though to use the 50% off coupon. There are quite a few exclusions though on that coupon (Not valid with any other offer, Limited to inventory on hand, Select items and brands not included, Excludes wheelsets, components, electronics, and wetsuits). They should just change it to read "Only valid on old crap we want to get rid of." They're apparently also having future ones in Colorado Springs and Boulder as well.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 02-26-2009 at 09:56 AM.
    LMB

Team Inflexible
    I need to give a shout out to the Colorado Springs BV and have attended the past 2 tent sales. I will say the stuff inside the tent is crap but use your 50% off cupon to buy an expensive jacket or shorts. Last year I used it to buy some Oakley Half Jacket. I was going to buy a bike rack but the one I wanted got sold.

I have always gotten good service (sales) and its the only place I know I can buy 3 tubes for 9 bucks. Plus some of my riding buds work there.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Last year I picked up an old rental Fisher Sugar for $199 at the tent sale. After about $120 for disc brakes, a new bottom bracket and some touch-up nail polish for the paint I have a bomber $320 rig that runs great!

I'm planning on picking up another old rental this year, if anything I can use it for part swap outs.

If your looking for anything good, I recommend getting there very early. The line builds quickly and the still functional old rentals I'm after are the first to go.

mtbr member

Bicycle Village

Love 'em or hate 'em, the Bicycle Village "Deals on Wheels" sale is worth checking out. Yes, it's a zoo! But if you know what bike you want and they have it on sale, you'll get a good deal. Ditto on the "50% Off" coupon for a single accessory or clothing item. I go every year to buy a new helmet, get new shoes or pedals, snag a hydration pack or whatever else I might need. Find your item on sale, then buy it for 50% off. Doesn't get much better than that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anyone interested in carpooling from Boulder to their tent-sale?

I am looking for a 56cm 2008 roubaix comp triple (road bike). When I called BV, they could not say what was in inventory (sigh, it seems like they just want to bring you in).

Can someone who goes Sat. give me a heads up if this model is being sold? Thx

Moosehead
    +1 to BV Aurora for good sale pricing, service, and wrenches. They have a well-stocked, big floor of road, tri, mtb, and kids bikes and gear. They did all the warrantee replacement footwork, breakdown/rebuild, and shipping no questions asked on my broken frame - and I didn't even buy the rig there. I also enjoy smaller, boutique shops, but BV delivers for many. Definitely worth checking out their tent sale.

Old fart
    Never had a complaint with BV. Great deals on bikes everyday. Helpful staff, though sometimes they dont talkk to you unless you ask them something.

I enjoy the tent sale for generic things. Seats, locks, clothes, helmets. Though the email they sent out announcing the tent sale looked like it had some great bikes. Of course the one time I went to Aurora for the tent, I ended up buying something inside instead.... I just wait for the Springs, and buy what I need. Tube prices are a def plus from BV!
    fav quote from an ebay auction: "will not make you numb in the taint."

Shread Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Does hungryhead work for Derby? The Derby Bicycle shop on 104th is the closest bike shop to my house, but they seem to have the worst attitude ever. It's like "Oh you need something, here it is, going to buy anything else? No? Then GTFO." Not to mention their prices seem to be the most expensive in the area. I gave them a chance because of their proximity, but I tend to avoid that place now.
    LOL, yeah Derby Bikes sucks the big one! I remember when I went to look at the Giant Reign X 0 a few years back. I asked to take it on a test ride and they were all sketchy and like well are you going to buy it??? I was like , ummm, well maybe if I like it but I want a test ride. Then I took it for a test ride and the Cranks were *crunchy* and he tried to say it was the demo pedals. He adjusted the pedals and realized it was the crank bearing or something that was crunchy. Either way, those guys suck! Their attitudes suck and they hardly seem like bicycle enthusiast. As for BV in Westminster they've treated me pretty darn good and their mechanics have been cool so far.

As for the tent sale, it's pretty good and you usually can score some decent stuff from what I remember. Worth checking it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Picked up a trek fuel 80 rental for my wife for $199. Gotta say I'm pretty happy with that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipk
    Picked up a trek fuel 80 rental for my wife for $199. Gotta say I'm pretty happy with that.

anybody else get any good deals on anything???

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    BV in Colorado Springs is awesome. Even though I have not shopped their in a few months, I have had nothing but good experiences with the people their. The techs are good, and the other sales floor staff is pretty knowledgeable, too. The tent sale is busy, but worth it.
    Let's all start a mrsalty is a whiny biatch thread...