Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Hot Strava...awesomeness or Evil?

So over the last year or so the rides tracked on Strava here in the FR have blown thru the roof, especially in the Golden area. the lookout road climb had always been a biggie but now there are tons of UH and DH segments on dirt all over Chimney, WR, NTM, STM, etc. Initially I was hooked, I was riding better when I knew I was on the clock. Since however, realized its clearly a double edge sword. Was ascending last week, some ***** comes whipping around, saw me and shouted "STRAVA! coming thru"...didn't bother to yield and blew by. not a huge deal, wide section of the trail, but got me wondering what the FR will be like when the entire FR is full of Stravons killling each other for the KOM. oh well.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Hmmm, Apex #2?

mtbr member
    It's an interesting point. There's definitely something going on. I had never heard of Strava before until recently. Something is up lately. On 1 ride I had at least 5 separate incidents of people blowing by me while I was climbing without even bothering to slow down. Most were on narrow sections too. 2 guys even went 3 feet off trail in the grass to go around me without slowing down. I'm not sure if it's Strava or what, but I've never seen so much brazen disregard for not just trail etiquette, both other people's safety. Usually 95% of my trail interactions with other trail users and riders are positive. I've never really let the few bad apples bother me. There are jerks in every crowd. Lately it's been happening more and more. I thought one guy was actually going to run over me. One guy clipped my bars as he was passing.

Interesting you mention it, because I wonder if the bad interactions I had in this thread were a result of that Strava contest.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

slow
    It will most likely become more of an issue as more people start using Strava. I find myself pushing harder when I know I'm on a timed segment, but not at the expense of courtesy, safety, and trail etiquette. There have been recent descents on which I thought I was going to have a good Strava time, but encountered other users and had to yield or stop or follow someone slower. No problem. There will be another chance tomorrow.

It does help to ride at 5:30am though.

Apr 2012
    Strava is pretty fun. Adds a whole new dimension, just to see how you stack up when you think you're riding fast.

But dang, ya still gotta yield and all that jive.

I noticed you can 'flag' a segment as dangerous. Seems like just about any segment, on-road or off, could be considered dangerous if people are trying to ride it as fast as they can while it's open to the public. Strava could have a problem there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Strava is just another way for people to "brag" to their friends about something that their friends don't care about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Strava is just another way for people to "brag" to their friends about something that their friends don't care about.
    Never heard of Strava til now. So what you're saying is it's cycling's version of Facebook?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno View Post
    Never heard of Strava til now. So what you're saying is it's cycling's version of Facebook?
    yep, pretty much, but on steroids, since it allows you to compete with friends and other riders. it has that quality of Facebook where you are embarrassed how much time you spend there, but still can't put it down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I remember when riding was just riding, it was fun.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Sounds really dumb. I predict it will be wildly popular.

mtbr member
    Hum... Sounds like a perfect opportunity to mob a popular trail where this is happening and screw up threir times, yeah?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think if you're on a public two way trail and it's not a declared race (IE: other users have a heads up on what's going on) there are only a few places where a race pace is appropriate. That is, places with a long sight distance, or places with little use. (and even then you should always assume someone is on the other side of a blind spot). Blowing by people and not adhering to the common rules of the trail for any reason is a black eye for the sport, not to mention dangerous.

Moderator Moderator
    Strava. Making your trails wider since 2010.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno View Post
    That's exactly what I was going to say... Cycling's version of Facebook.

Free your heel...
    Sounds like a roady thing.

Lets keep it on the road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    here we go again...
    let me guess....
    1) people aren't yielding
    2) trails are getting wider
    3) riding "used" to be sooooooo much funner
    4) it is the fault of people on long travel FS bikes...

I love these Front Range threads...

mtbr member
    First I ever heard of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Cup View Post
    So over the last year or so the rides tracked on Strava here in the FR have blown thru the roof, especially in the Golden area. the lookout road climb had always been a biggie but now there are tons of UH and DH segments on dirt all over Chimney, WR, NTM, STM, etc. Initially I was hooked, I was riding better when I knew I was on the clock. Since however, realized its clearly a double edge sword. Was ascending last week, some ***** comes whipping around, saw me and shouted "STRAVA! coming thru"...didn't bother to yield and blew by. not a huge deal, wide section of the trail, but got me wondering what the FR will be like when the entire FR is full of Stravons killling each other for the KOM. oh well.
    Don't let one idiot become the face for hundreds or thousands of other responsible riders. I use Strava and I don't ride any slower or faster than I did before I used it. I still yield and stay on the trail.

It is amazing though how a little competitive drive can alter people's ethics. I have had the same experience with XC racers on training rides refusing to yield because they were trying to hit a personal best. Does that make them responsible for all the trail damage and rudeness on the trail, no it just makes that person and anyone else putting their ambition over trail etiquette irresponsibly selfish.

My guess is those people rode this way prior to every using Strava.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    It does help to ride at 5:30am though.

Shhhh.

I like strava - but use it more to see my progress over a season. I could care less about KOM or competing with other people.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    I think it is a pretty cool tool / app. Since I never liked computers on my bikes, it is cool to see how many miles you have ridden, feet climbed & so on. Have to admit though, sure is fun to compare times against your friends & fellow cyclists, there are some fast mofo's out there, though I do have a couple KOM's What I will say is that as mentioned, it is never an excuse to not yield to other users, no matter what. Pretty uncool to blow by someone on the DH just to make a timed run, that's what DH races are for.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    Don't let one idiot become the face for hundreds or thousands of other responsible riders. I use Strava and I don't ride any slower or faster than I did before I used it. I still yield and stay on the trail.

It is amazing though how a little competitive drive can alter people's ethics. I have had the same experience with XC racers on training rides refusing to yield because they were trying to hit a personal best. Does that make them responsible for all the trail damage and rudeness on the trail, no it just makes that person and anyone else putting their ambition over trail etiquette irresponsibly selfish.

^^^This, so much. It's pretty sad that there are far too many d0uchen0zzles out there that are gonna be all like...

The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Team Velveeta™

Agreed. A butthole is a butthole, regardless of the device he's got mounted on his handlebar or the social networking site(s) visited.

It is interesting how technology is evolving. Fifteen years ago we were talking about how the rise of the internet and the faceless "socializing" that it would ultimately promote would change society. I did my masters thesis on what is known as thin communication media (where face-to-face is the richest media, phone is a little lower, and text is thin). I decided back then to use my real name in discussion forums and not hide behind a handle, and to make every effort to allow "real life" to be woven into my online life. Meaning actually meeting people that I knew from the cyber world when possible.

Online life can be isolating. We can use online relationships as a surrogate for actual relationships. Thin media discussions can (obviously) turn into flame wars between people who really wouldn't be so rude and aggressive to each other if they were in the same room. I think being aware of that and doing what is possible to reduce it is important.

Strava is extending the internet into real life. Not necessarily having a positive effect, but that seems to be part of the package. In general, I think it's good to have some of this silly internet crap we do have an extension into reality. Kind of like the Flash Mob phenomenon. I think it's cool in general.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member

I have had these encounters you mention as well, but the app definitely can promote bad behavior in the wrong people. I've never before had 5 incidents on 1 trail before. I've certainly never felt like I was about to get completely run over. I've never really complained about people not yielding or some idiot because they were always isolated incidents. I've always had such great interactions on the trail with hikers, equestrians, and especially other mountain bikers. I don't even know if it's Strava necessarily, I'm just making a point that I've seen more of it lately, and I don't know why. It's an interesting discussion. I'm sure that the app can be incredibly fun and introduce a more social aspect to mountain biking even when you're riding solo. However, most multi-use trails you should never be pushing 100% speed on. That's what the resorts are for. There's just too many people (unless you're going at off hours).

Either way, I'm still not going to let it ruin my ride, or ever make a complaint thread about it...but since we're talking about it...I'm not really a big fan of the app. I've been tracking my mileage for the National Bike Challenge on endomondo (cause it gets me motivated to get out and ride more), but I'm not really interested in competing for best times on multi-use trails. That's what races are for (and they're closed off for a reason). Trail politics between different user groups are already touchy. Do we need another spark to fuel the fire? I can't wait for the first incident when some mountain biker runs over a hiker because they were using Strava and trying to get the best time. There are a lot of blind corners on the Front Range. That will be awesome for us all.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Sounds really dumb. I predict it will be wildly popular.
    This is so true it's scary. People expecting uphill to yield to the rider flying downhill simply because they yelled Strava? Go sign up for a freaking race, there are tons of them in CO.

*And along TomP's theory actually being on the same trail as the other racers would increase the communication level.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    here we go again...
    let me guess....
    1) people aren't yielding
    2) trails are getting wider
    3) riding "used" to be sooooooo much funner
    4) it is the fault of people on long travel FS bikes...

I love these Front Range threads...
    What?? no blaming it on the 29er crowd?
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast