Thread: Horsey Heads Up

mtbr member

Horsey Heads Up

I came across this on the Douglas County Open Space site.
    Mountain Mettle Endurance Ride - Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 75 horse and rider pairs will compete at distances from 15 to 50 miles on the Sharptail and Indian Creek Trail systems. It appears they will be using Ringtail, Trail 800 and Steven's Gulch as part of this. More information here. www.mountainmettle.com
    Plan your rides accordingly.

On the positive side, I rode 800 to Ringtail yesterday and the equestrian groups have done a great job of clearing trees on Trail 800 and Ringtail.

On the negative side, while I was trying to get the 10ft wide puddle to drain off Trail 800 by Steven's Gulch, about 10 or so riders either rode or walked on the outside edge of the puddle. Guess what folks, that just makes it wider. That is trail damage that is being done mostly by bikes. I heard the comment by more than one rider that they "didn't want to get their bike dirty" If you're afraid to take your precious bike and shiny spandex through a 3" deep puddle, it's time to trade your knobbies in for a road bike.

Kudos to the three riders that did manage the puddle without incident or whining.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So they could race horses on the trails but mtbrs couldn't have an official group ride doing the Morrison monster???? Yes. I know we're talking two seperate open space organizations (Jeffco and Douglas County). But it is rather ironic.

Msurk

mtbr member
    ....this Saturday
    Less yap, more dig

mtbr member
    Rode the Indian Creek loop today (one day after the horse race) and was a little surprised to find that the trail is in great shape. I expected some torn-up areas, sandy spots, widened areas and lots of horse apples from all the equine traffic. Actually found the majority of the trail showed no sign that 75 horses had been over it 24 hours previously.

I was wondering if maybe they had cancelled the race due to weather on Saturday. Late in the ride we encounter a rider who was out picking up flags and signs from the race, and she confirmed that the event was run on Saturday as planned.

I have to say the equestrians did a good job of running a low-impact event. We had a great ride!
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    That's great to hear. It sounds like there may have been less than the 75 planned for the race. Thanks for the update.
    Less yap, more dig

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN
    Rode the Indian Creek loop today (one day after the horse race) and was a little surprised to find that the trail is in great shape. I expected some torn-up areas, sandy spots, widened areas and lots of horse apples from all the equine traffic. Actually found the majority of the trail showed no sign that 75 horses had been over it 24 hours previously.

I was wondering if maybe they had cancelled the race due to weather on Saturday. Late in the ride we encounter a rider who was out picking up flags and signs from the race, and she confirmed that the event was run on Saturday as planned.

I have to say the equestrians did a good job of running a low-impact event. We had a great ride!
    Good to hear, I went out there Friday afternoon because I thought it would be tore up for a while after the horses on Saturday. I thought I would have to wait for a good rain before returning, but I'm glad to hear that is not the case.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Agreed that Ringtail & Indian Creek where in great shape and showed no real trail damage as a result of this event ... except some seriously stinky horse poop .. some of whom appear to have digestive issues!

I would note that on a whim (not a smart one), I dropped down Stevens Gulch Sunday AM .. BIG MISTAKE. It's a muddy mess .. best to avoid it for the foreseeable future.