Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Horsetooth conditions.

My buddies and I are coming down this weekend from Wyoming to check out your trails. We are looking to do 15-20 miles. Were thinking about Horsetooth/Coyote Ridge/Devil's Backbone area. Is this clear of snow? I think it should judging by the weather we have been having in Cheyenne. Any condition updates or suggestions would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    You are good to go, pretty much everything is dry & riding great, all through the weekend! A great ride IMO would be to park at Blue Sky lot, or across the street at the Canyon Grille (no parking fees there, plus after ride beers await) ride up the road to HTMP lot, climb Southridge service road to Wathan, down Wathan, up Spring Creek to the ist trail turn off, Herrington, climb up, turn left at the top, continue to Towers road, up Towers to Mill Creek, down Mill Creek to Loggers, left on Loggers to continue down Mill Creek, take that all the way to the valley, turn right when you get to the valley on the singletrack, then take that all the way back to the Blue Sky lot. The trail does split into Nomad (right) but either one takes you to Towers. Probably a good 12 miles or so with lots of ripping descents!

Have a great ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    You are good to go, pretty much everything is dry & riding great, all through the weekend! A great ride IMO would be to park at Blue Sky lot, or across the street at the Canyon Grille (no parking fees there, plus after ride beers await) ride up the road to HTMP lot, climb Southridge service road to Wathan, down Wathan, up Spring Creek to the ist trail turn off, Herrington, climb up, turn left at the top, continue to Towers road, up Towers to Mill Creek, down Mill Creek to Loggers, left on Loggers to continue down Mill Creek, take that all the way to the valley, turn right when you get to the valley on the singletrack, then take that all the way back to the Blue Sky lot. The trail does split into Nomad (right) but either one takes you to Towers. Probably a good 12 miles or so with lots of ripping descents!

Have a great ride!
    Would you recomend Bobcat Ridge or is that too small of an area for a decent ride? A mix of technical and flowy would be good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Do the HT route Inkpad mentioned, more bang for buck if you are driving down here for a day. Bobcat's good, but will leave you wanting more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Would you recomend Bobcat Ridge or is that too small of an area for a decent ride? A mix of technical and flowy would be good.
    Ginny trail at Bobcat is a real fun trail. Ridden as an out & back it is about 7.5 miles with about 1500' of climbing going up (it's all uphill up, all downhill down). I would say it about 60-70% tech / rocky with some fast, flowy stuff thron in. Up is fun as it can get pretty tech & re-tries climbing make it interesting. If you take your time it will take a bit over an hour going up, unless you do it non stop, no resting, then about 40+ minutes minimum (fastest, top 10 times range between 30-40 minutes). The descent is fast & tech, one of my favorites in the Ft Collins area. If you pin it down, figure anywhere between 13-15 minutes if you know the trail or remember it well from the climb. fastest times are in the high 11's, low 12's. You could always do this trail one day, then ride HTMP the next day, or even the same day!

Beer Me!
    IMO I would avoid bobcat. I enjoy the trail, and there is a horse trail option for the climb (this is climb only) that adds on some milage, but its a bit loose and a grunt. Good trail, but if you havn't done the otherstuff around Fort Collins i would go for that first.

No one has mentioned Blue-Sky, Devils Backbone. For 20miles you can get quite a bit of trail in with a few moderate/easy climbs. Park at the same places inkpad mentioned and just go south rather than north when you hop on the trail, you will pass under the road and can make it an out and back. The farther south you go the more technical it will get (generally). If you want to do a lolly-pop you can ride out to indian summer which has a solid but easy climb, from the parking lot out and doing indian summer i think its in the 12 to 15 mile mark. This is a staple "go-to" ride around here.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys. Hit me up if you ever want some inside/local info on Curt Gowdy or Vedawoo. Are the trails gonna be crowded since it's a Saturday or will the fact that we are in November keep most people off? I suppose it depends on weather...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys. Hit me up if you ever want some inside/local info on Curt Gowdy or Vedawoo. Are the trails gonna be crowded since it's a Saturday or will the fact that we are in November keep most people off? I suppose it depends on weather...
    Blue Sky trail mentioned above is probably the busiest trail, as it is the most rider friendly trail around, meaning not overly tech & not a lot of climbing, which means also not a lot of descending. Ginny @ Bobcat will be the least busiest, followed by the Horsetooth trail system. What type of riding are you looking to get out of the weekend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    Blue Sky trail mentioned above is probably the busiest trail, as it is the most rider friendly trail around, meaning not overly tech & not a lot of climbing, which means also not a lot of descending. Ginny @ Bobcat will be the least busiest, followed by the Horsetooth trail system. What type of riding are you looking to get out of the weekend?
    I'd like to get a decent ride in 10-20 miles (Got a smoker with me so it might be closer to ten miles) but wanna see something new. Haven't ridden much in Fort Collins area so wanted to take a break from my Wyo Trails (which might have snow in some spots). Would like a decent mix of flow and tech with dome decent climbs and descents. Basically a good"little bit of everything" ride, or as close to that as possible. Not a big fan of swerving around loose children running on the trail either. =)

Beer Me!
    ^^^Inkpad's original rout is super solid, has a bit of everything, and includes some excellent triail, but involves some actual climbing.

Bluesky (while the most crowded) may be the best for your black lunged company, as it doesn't involve hardly any sustained climbing, though not much tech. The blue sky to indian summer loop may be a good one to get a easy/moderate climb in, and a little bit of rocks on the decent. Best way to do indian summer is to ride past the first trail fork, to the second (south side about a mile away from the north entrance) and do it south to north, the decent is much more enjoyable that way.

You may want to also consider the valley loops (HTSP and Lori), and mix in Kimmons climb on the north side. These are fast hard pack with hardly any tech, but the speed keeps it fun, Downside is this is commonly used by the equestrian's, and newer riders..

A lot of choices, I think you will enjoy anything you pick. 2 of my bikes are in pieces (winter maintenance week) but my trusty SS is up and running. I will send you a PM if i am heading out.

Make sure to hit up one of the many amazing breweries we have in town!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    ^^^Inkpad's original rout is super solid, has a bit of everything, and includes some excellent triail, but involves some actual climbing.

Bluesky (while the most crowded) may be the best for your black lunged company, as it doesn't involve hardly any sustained climbing, though not much tech. The blue sky to indian summer loop may be a good one to get a easy/moderate climb in, and a little bit of rocks on the decent. Best way to do indian summer is to ride past the first trail fork, to the second (south side about a mile away from the north entrance) and do it south to north, the decent is much more enjoyable that way.

You may want to also consider the valley loops (HTSP and Lori), and mix in Kimmons climb on the north side. These are fast hard pack with hardly any tech, but the speed keeps it fun, Downside is this is commonly used by the equestrian's, and newer riders..

A lot of choices, I think you will enjoy anything you pick. 2 of my bikes are in pieces (winter maintenance week) but my trusty SS is up and running. I will send you a PM if i am heading out.

Make sure to hit up one of the many amazing breweries we have in town!
    Cool and thanks for the info guys. If you are ever in SE Wyo not too far from FoCo, hit me up and I can send you a map of Vedauwoo I made for the bike shop. 60 miles of single track 40 miles west of Cheyene and 30 mile 25 miles west of Cheyenne at Curt Gowdy State Park (Rated Epic by IMBA). Thanks for sharing the knowledge! ...and yes...I will hit up a brewery for sure...

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    I did a big'ish ride in HTMP/Lory last Sunday (beautiful day) and saw more deer than people.

Blue Sky will feel more crowded than HTMP, but not by much this time of year.

I'm in agreement with Guerdonian - do Blue Sky/Indian Summer. If you're still feeling good, ride North toward the HTMP/Lory valley trails (Nomad, East/West Valley Trail). If you're feeling REALLY good, head up Tower or Sawmill (a great singletrack alternative climb to the Tower service road).

mtbr member
    How would starting at Coyote Ridge trailhead then going to Devil's Backbone area, down to Laughing horse and back be?

mtbr member
    How would starting at Coyote Ridge trailhead then going to Devil's Backbone area, down to Laughing horse and back be?
    Might be more fun to do Blue Sky to DBB & back. Coyote is fun & chunky, but you get some nice flow & distance adding in BS trail. I like them all, just trying to give options. What kind of bikes you all bringing?

mtbr member
    I appreciate the options for sure. You guys are the experts so I am leaning towards what you suggested initially. Since I live in a state with only 500,000 the large crowds are something I am not accustomed to haha. That is my only concert but since it's so late in the season maybe it won't be so bad.
    I got a camber comp 29er and my two other buddies ride hard-tails, they are decent riders.

mtbr member
    I think I am gonna take your suggestion and start at BS, hopefully I will be warmed up by the time we get to Rimrock and Indian Summer Junction, maybe do a loop and turn around or keep goind south if my buddies are up for it. Looks like I will get a solid mix of trail types if I take that route.

slow
    I think I am gonna take your suggestion and start at BS, hopefully I will be warmed up by the time we get to Rimrock and Indian Summer Junction, maybe do a loop and turn around or keep goind south if my buddies are up for it. Looks like I will get a solid mix of trail types if I take that route.
    What did you end up riding, and how did you like it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    What did you end up riding, and how did you like it?
    We ended up @ bobcat ridge. Im gettin drunk in old town now (on my phone)!. We post full report tonight.

mtbr member
    Ok, so I said I would report back. Here is what we did:

When we got to the Bluesky TH is seemed kinda packed so we told ourselves we would drive up to Bobcat ridge and see how it looked. Not many people in the parking lot (and we got a late start) so we thought we could do the 9-10 ride or whatever it was. We wouldn't have had time for the Bluesky whole ride (20 miles or so)? Plus one of our rides wasn't up for going that long.
    The "Powerline Road" trail or whatever it was called was a beast. That warmed me up and them some. Probably for the better since I would rather be warmed up for the actual single track section. Where that road intersected with the single track really reminded me of where I normally ride here in Wyoming at Curt Gowdy State Park.
    I really enjoyed the more technical single track sections. I tend to like flowy single track mixed with random and technical pop-ups and rock gardens. I like to make a game with my buddy to see who can clear certain sections. What we couldn't clear we turned around and repeated.
    Where the trails starts to go down became pretty technical. I couldn't clear all of it, but I was able to get most of it and I really enjoyed coming down. Lots of sharp, jagged rocks that made me a little less-confident but we had fun going over the wood bridges and large boulders/rocks in the trail.
    At the end of the trail we took a right on a little 1.3 mile long section, which was fun, but didn't have the features we like to ride on.
    Overall a very fun trail. I also wanted to do Bobcat today in case I am able to come down and do Coyote Ridge later on in the season when Bobcat might have snow. Might not get to ride anything near FoCo for the rest of the season but my next desination in Coyote Ridge/Blue Sky and that area. Thanks for the info, guys, your insight really helped up pic what we wanted to do!
    Looks like it's gonna be in the 60's tomorrow so I plan on shredding Curt Gowdy, which is a little closer to me. Normally the place is full of snow right now so I have to take advantage!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Horsetooth conditions.-2012-11-17_13-16-49_483.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oh ...and we only saw two other riders (and a few equestrian people) the whole ride.

Beer Me!
    Bad ass dude! Glad you had fun, that uphill is a beast for sure. One of my favorite parts of bobcat is the solitude; you usually only see a couple people and thats it.

Didn't do any riding today spent it pulling pivot bearings on the enduro, and as a result pritty much gutting the whole bike. Poor thing was beat to hell and I payed for it. Shoot me a line next time your in town.

slow
    Ok, so I said I would report back. Here is what we did:...
    Thanks for the trail report. I don't care for that Power Line climb at all, but I like the rock features right after you leave the road. They remind me of Gowdy, as well. Nice to hear what an out of towner thinks. Glad you had a good ride. Don't forget how close we are when Gowdy / Pole Mountain / Vedauwoo are snowed in.

mtbr member
    Likewise Guerdonian and thanks, sgltrak. If you guys are up north of the border hit me up for info of you need any. I have ridden Vedauwoo for 8 years and Gowdy for give. I surveyed Vedauwoo trails for the Forest Service and I help build/repair trails at Gowdy. I know some hidden gems in both areas. If you guys want my map I made for the bike shop in Laramie, PM me and shoot me your e-mail address. My Vedauwoo map is the most comprehensive map of the area you can find. Thanks, again guys!

mtbr member
    Love me some Bobcat... 2007/2008 Pics

The geographical features at the Mahoney Park area are pretty cool and the westward view from the tree-bench before the Ginny Trail descent is great!

EDIT: I didn't realize I still had bar ends installed in that first pic. I am not proud of this. lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Horsetooth conditions.-135_549838142853_2537_n.jpg  

Horsetooth conditions.-374_629770308153_7329_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Picking up my bike tomorrow in Fort Collins. Was thinking about taking it for a spin while in town. Forecast says high of 59, anyone know if trails are clear?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast