Bodhisattva

Horestooth Mtn Park Tonight

Some of the Boulder/Lyons peeps mentioned coming to Devli's Backbone tonight. There's a group of us riding HMP 15 minutes north of DB. We'll be leaving Mtn High Cyclery at 5pm and meeting at the new Soderburgh lower parking lot at 5:30 if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    don't you think it's going to be awfully wet up there. i could still see snow yesterday. southern exposures should be fine but alot of the drainage areas and northern exposures may be very soft (read trail abuse). if your planning on sticking to the fireroads then who cares but be careful of the trail conditions.

Bodhisattva
    Nope. A member of the group did a scout ride last night and said moisture for the most part is minimal. The exception is Wathen which we'll shy away from and some of the flats in the valley.

mtbr member
    If you would be kind enough to post the trail conditions tomorrow I'd appreciate it. I was thinking of hitting that either Sat. or Sun. weather permitting. I see where someone has been up there but I'd like the full trail report tomorrow if someone could muster it up. Edit to add : THANKS

mtbr member
    ^just wonderin' what that ride's like? distance? ST? tech? wet? does it hook with HT yet?

gracias

Bodhisattva
    HMP was fabulous. Very little moisture or mud. We pretty much rode everything except Audra Culver & Wathen.
    Started at the new soderburgh lot. Up Towers to Stout to Loggers to Carey to Spring Creek to Herrington to Stout over to Horsetooth Falls and back down.

Ride time 2.5 hrs. Mucho primo.

Mostly singletrack except the initial fireroad climb. And, no, it does not yet link to DB. We're told that will be competed by year's end, although I'm guessing it might go into '06.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    HMP was fabulous. Very little moisture or mud. We pretty much rode everything except Audra Culver & Wathen.
    Started at the new soderburgh lot. Up Towers to Stout to Loggers to Carey to Spring Creek to Herrington to Stout over to Horsetooth Falls and back down.

Mostly singletrack except the initial fireroad climb. And, no, it does not yet link to DB. We're told that will be competed by year's end, although I'm guessing it might go into '06.
    Thank you, much appreciated. Gonna try and hit that this w/e. Have a good one.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

Sounds like a good ride; I'm jealous. But you did not do even 1/3 of the trails up there. You have to try out all the good downhills, like Mill Creek, Spring Creek, West Ridge, and Saw Mill. Let alone you could climb all those and throw in Wathen and Horsetooth Rock (up).
    Oh Well, looks like there is plenty for us to show you still (which means I better start getting back into it so I can help).

Bodhisattva
    Yeah. Duh. What I meant is that we covered at least part of all the above. At this point I've ridden just about all those trails although I have not yet done them all in both directions (and definitely not on the same day) and I know there's still some hidden goodies cause Dave took us on the "cow path" last night which I hadn't done before. Muy bueno.

Doing EVERYTHING...that would be Epic !!!!!!!

Time is not a road.
    Does it hook with ? Horsetooth? It's all accessible at different points, but HT only connects with Soderberg, Audra Culver, Wathan and Westridge, with a direct off-shoot to Spring Creek. From SC, you can connect to Eastridge, Mill Creek, Harrington, Sawmill, Loggers and Stout (does that about cover all of them?). The "cow path" shoots off of Stout and connects with Spring Creek near the Falls area.

We rode primarily the north east side of the park, from the new Soderberg trailhead area, though, this doesn't connect to the Soderberg trail(??).

Much of Stout is singletrack, in fact, if people don't start getting out and riding it more, it's gonna be overgrown. Descending Spring Creek, we found some mud, one small stream crossing (very). Horsetooth Falls has lots of water in it right now, so if you're one of those "nature" types, it's good time to ride.

Wathan and Mill Creek are probably still pretty wet.

The sandier sections of Stout, Loggers and Spring Creek were very tacky - traction was excellent.
    Last edited by chad1433; 05-06-2005 at 02:16 PM.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Does it hook with ? Horsetooth? It's all accessible at different points, but HT only connects with Soderberg, Audra Culver, Wathan and Westridge, with a direct off-shoot to Spring Creek. From SC, you can connect to Eastridge, Mill Creek, Harrington, Sawmill, Loggers and Stout (does that about cover all of them?). The "cow path" shoots off of Stout and connects with Spring Creek near the Falls area.

We rode primarily the north east side of the park, from the new Soderberg trailhead area, though, this doesn't connect to the Soderberg trail(??).

Much of Stout is singletrack, in fact, if people don't start getting out and riding it more, it's gonna be overgrown. Descending Spring Creek, we found some mud, one small stream crossing (very). Horsetooth Falls has lots of water in it right now, so if you're one of those "nature" types, it's good time to ride.

The sandier sections of Stout, Loggers and Spring Creek were very tacky - traction was excellent.
    What you talkin bout Willis? Does what hook with horsetooth?

Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433

Where is eastridge? Does it connect with westridge?

slow

Horsetooth Mountain Park Map

See the following for the official map.

http://www.co.larimer.co.us/parks/htmp_map.htm

What is currently known as the Towers Road used to be called the Eastridge Trail if I remember correctly. And yes, that does connect with West Ridge, just below the final towers climb.

Also, the cow path that Squeaky mentions is not an official trail, and therefore is not on the map.

Took the wife up there this morning (Friday) and rode lower Stout to Sawmill to Nomad and into Lory to Arthur's Rock parking lot. Then back from there along Nomad to the parking lot. Lower Stout was good, Sawmill had a few really wet sections near the bottom. The extension of Nomad into Lory had 3 or 4 really wet sections. Everything was much drier than when I rode Tuesday, so most trails should be good for the weekend.

Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    See the following for the official map.

http://www.co.larimer.co.us/parks/htmp_map.htm

What is currently known as the Towers Road used to be called the Eastridge Trail if I remember correctly. And yes, that does connect with West Ridge, just below the final towers climb.

Also, the cow path that Squeaky mentions is not an official trail, and therefore is not on the map.

Took the wife up there this morning (Friday) and rode lower Stout to Sawmill to Nomad and into Lory to Arthur's Rock parking lot. Then back from there along Nomad to the parking lot. Lower Stout was good, Sawmill had a few really wet sections near the bottom. The extension of Nomad into Lory had 3 or 4 really wet sections. Everything was much drier than when I rode Tuesday, so most trails should be good for the weekend.
    Ok, I never heard it called eastridge, just tower road, or middle service road (what a few of us refer to it as). I know the cow path, ridden that one. Conncts Stout to Horsetooth Falls