Thread: Hops and Pie

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hops and Pie

I read an article this morning in the Denver Post where the owners of H&P contacted five breweries and lined them up to each get a freshly emptied barrel from Makers Mark to age some brews, then tap their respective brews at H&P on March 16. Sounds good to me!

Hops and Pie collaborates with five breweries in whiskey barrel-aging

I dropped by their place at 3920 Tennyson on the way back from Denver.
    I got to taste their house IPA, from Strange (Hops & IPA) and it was very very good. Never been to Strange. Three sips was all I could do, if I'd been at home I'd have finished it and had another but...

A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Thats my home away from home..

No other taphouse in Denver has a selection like theirs. Their 22 taps are ALWAYS rotating, which is rare. Love that place, been going there since the beginning, sometimes there were just a few of us in there and the owners would just pour taster after taster.

While I am super happy they have done well, its tough to get a seat these days.

The food is really good too...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I described the place to the bartender as "Falling Rock North" and she smiled. My pics show some seats available at 2pm on a weekday afternoon but I could just picture it SRO.

The closest real taproom to me is Big Choice in Broomfield and that's still at minimum 10 minute drive. No running through a taster lineup while I'm driving but those three sips I had out of that Hops & IPA were sure good.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

a dad
    Jan 2004
    For better or worse, I can walk to Hops and Pies.. SRO is very common almost every night of the week. You have to go during the off hours to get a seat at the bar. Too bad they already expanded once, I don't think they will be doing it again.

They are also working on their own beer, supposed to be pouring it in the fall..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    I'm glad Hops and Pie is as busy as it is every night of the week, b/c it means they will be around for a long, long time for my family and I to frequent one night a week (or so). It IS our favorite place to eat - and for me to get a tasty and new/different beer each time. Their food is great. Their Reuben is the best meaty sandwich I've ever had. Pizza is awesome too. They have a wide variety of gluten free (and egg free / vegan) options which works perfect for us since our children are both allergic to wheat and eggs. Basically everything on the menu can come in a gluten-free and egg free option.

NW Denver (Highlands, Berkeley, Regis, etc.) is very lucky to have Hops & Pie in the neighborhood!

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrause View Post
    I'm glad Hops and Pie is as busy as it is every night of the week, b/c it means they will be around for a long, long time for my family and I to frequent one night a week (or so). It IS our favorite place to eat - and for me to get a tasty and new/different beer each time. Their food is great. Their Reuben is the best meaty sandwich I've ever had. Pizza is awesome too. They have a wide variety of gluten free (and egg free / vegan) options which works perfect for us since our children are both allergic to wheat and eggs. Basically everything on the menu can come in a gluten-free and egg free option.

NW Denver (Highlands, Berkeley, Regis, etc.) is very lucky to have Hops & Pie in the neighborhood!
    Totally agree on all you said.. the sandwiches are really good.. we try to make it once a week as well..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I shoot a lot of places like this and am concentrating mainly on the beer selection. The smaller newer places might just have food trucks (nothing wrong with that) and great beer. H&P has "killer food" as the bartender described it, and great brews at the same time. Good for families.