mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hope you had fun out there in that wind today

As I was driving into the headwind this morning roadies were plowing their way through the 40 mph gale. They actually looked like they were enjoying it!

Up on Spring Brook it was a typical high wind day: steady wind, bigtime gusts, then huge gusts that would literally knock me over. I was trying to capture the abundant wildflowers that have burst up in the past week. The dominant color today was purple--carpets of purple.

I shot wide to get the overall coolness of this season's wildflowers but close up the detail is staggering, in that these little guys go about their ephemeral lives with no one around, really, to appreciate their beauty.

Up in this meadow the gusts were incredible. It was cool to see/hear them coming from down there (howling sounds and grass flattening as the gusts approached). I'd turn around and let them slam into me and watch them blow their way up the hill. Sometimes gusts would be coming from two directions, meet and swirl together up the hill.

I appreciated the carpets of blue but also the singular little guys. This one sprouted up on top of a 12" tall very thin stalk. I had to hold it to get the shot.

On my way back I held my arm out the car window with a 45mph tailwind and felt no breeze at all. Bikers were still riding into the wind. One guy was struggling at maybe 3 mph, his lady behind him finally got covered in a gust-driven pile of debris and got nearly blown over as I drove by. Good times!
    Last edited by xcguy; 05-31-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Awesome pictures

Free your heel...
    Rode Pueblo, the wind was even more brutal then normal. No wild flowers but the cactus is blooming.

^^worst ninja.....ever.
    I rode through there this morning too around 7am....simply beautiful!!! And yes, it was quite windy today!!! Very very nice pics! I didn't really notice it until I got past the bridge on Dowdy....and I just had to stop for a minute and stare! Thanks for sharing with everyone.
    Brought to you by and coming from: The department of redundancy department.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just me and my training partner the wind.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Just me and my training partner the wind.
    I always figured riding into the wind was just another way of climbing. Just a tougher workout but all good. Unless you get blown off the trail or into traffic!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

lucky enough
    nice shots, I guess we can thank all the spring snow and rain for the flowers.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine