The Notorious S.L.O

Hope for Humanity, solid guy on Craigslist

Letís just say buying/selling on craigslist can be challenging, from no shows to total misrepresentation of items.

I was looking for a hitch bike rack, found one, set up the meet, told the guy I would be in a white Jeep Wrangler, and on my way to Wesminster I go. I get about two miles from the house, he e-mails me to call. He asks if I plan to use the rack on the Wrangler, if so, it will not work. He was selling it because it would not work on his Wrangler, would not fit in the receiver because of the spare tire.

Saved me a trip down the hill, pretty cool.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    Ah, but he's wrong! I've got a Wrangler with a hitch rack and it works fine. You have to go get an 8" extender and install that. Then the hitch. The rear won't open all the way with the hitch installed, though, but with it down partially, the door will open enough to get some things (Camelbak, shoes and other gear) behind the rear seat. I typically just put the gear in the backseat.

One note, the maker of the extender says using it lowers your weight limit by 30%, which isn't an issue even with a 4 hitch rack.

Something like this: Hitch Extender for 2" Trailer Hitches - 8" Long Hidden Hitch Hitch Accessories 80307

I drilled a hole in my factory receiver and used a J-bolt to keep the extender from moving around and make a solid rack system, since I don't tow with the Jeep and likely won't be removing the extender.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hope for Humanity, solid guy on Craigslist-p8072293.jpg  

www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Ah, but he's wrong! I've got a Wrangler with a hitch rack and it works fine. You have to go get an 8" extender and install that. Then the hitch. The rear won't open all the way with the hitch installed, though, but with it down partially, the door will open enough to get some things (Camelbak, shoes and other gear) behind the rear seat. I typically just put the gear in the backseat.

One note, the maker of the extender says using it lowers your weight limit by 30%, which isn't an issue even with a 4 hitch rack.

Something like this: Hitch Extender for 2" Trailer Hitches - 8" Long Hidden Hitch Hitch Accessories 80307

I drilled a hole in my factory receiver and used a J-bolt to keep the extender from moving around and make a solid rack system, since I don't tow with the Jeep and likely won't be removing the extender.
    Yeah, that would work, I was trying to stay away from the extender, found a Yakima 4 bike that fits w/o the extender.
    Oh yeah, he yielded to me when I was climbing, too!
    Last edited by btadlock; 07-14-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."