Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hop Heads Unite

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hop Heads Unite

Went into Total Bev (on Sheridan at 92nd) this morning ostensibly to get one Sierra Nevada Torpedo as I've been in a one-beer-a-night mode because if I have more in the coolerator, well, I will drink more and that's a fact.

Turns out they had a Shmaltz Hoppy Beer 12 pack sampler on sale for under $12 and I couldn't resist. Haven't even popped one but if any of you know and like this beer, today only is the sale.

I'm most interested in Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A at over 10%.

Hop Heads Unite-1-dsc_7392.jpg
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So I've tried all four from this 12 pack and I like all of them. The Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. (Rye IPA) is stellar but probably will cost $10 for a four pack.

I stopped by Avery's Tap Room on the way back from Boulder today. duganA is on tap, a season affair. A taster is all I can handle and still drive so I savored its two oz goodness. The couple next to me got an 8 pack of tasters. He was a Hop Head, she was more of a brown ale type.

Next time I'll try either The Reverend or Hog Heaven. Old Jubilation might be on tap the next time!

Hop Heads Unite-1-dsc_7799.jpgHop Heads Unite-2-dsc_7801.jpgHop Heads Unite-3-dsc_7808.jpgHop Heads Unite-4-dsc_7827.jpg
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

a dad
    Jan 2004
    grabbed a mixer pack of that too recently and felt it was all good..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I stopped by that Total Bev (at 92nd and Sheridan) just to see if they had any more 12 packs. Yup, went up $2 to $13.98 (still on sale though) but I still had to have another one.

The Bittersweet Lenny's was $11.98 in the cooler for a four pack. The others were $8.98 for sixers. Lessee, I got three of the Lenny's for...uh...ah...I suck at math!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Get Stoned

Speaking of hops - nothing like full body West Coast Hoppy goodness in a bottle. I always have a variety of Stones in my fridg-a-rater. Just gotta.

Hop Heads Unite-img_20130822_184704_370.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hop Heads Unite-img_20130822_184700_161.jpg  

Hop Heads Unite-img_20130822_184710_531.jpg  

Last edited by rodey; 09-03-2013 at 08:17 PM.
    Let's go SIOUX!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rodey View Post
    Speaking of hops - nothing like full body West Coast Hoppy goodness in a bottle. I always have a variety of Stones in my fridg-a-rater. Just gotta.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130822_184704_370.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	829182
    Is it my imagination or did you show us three pics of the same setup? Doesn't matter, I got thirsty just looking at them!

Did you ever go to the Stone brewery out in Escondido? Someone here said it was the best tap room he'd ever seen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yep - posted three times ( accidentally ) but figured what the he!!. Three is always better than one. Yes I have been at the Brewery in Escondido - I am not the same guy who said he went there but I have been there. By far the best tap room I have ever been in - and I have been to a few. ;-)
    Let's go SIOUX!!!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by rodey View Post
    Yep - posted three times ( accidentally ) but figured what the he!!. Three is always better than one. Yes I have been at the Brewery in Escondido - I am not the same guy who said he went there but I have been there. By far the best tap room I have ever been in - and I have been to a few. ;-)
    Man that pisses me off I lived close by and worked right down the street from that place for years and never made managed to go in.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Man that pisses me off I lived close by and worked right down the street from that place for years and never made managed to go in.
    When I lived in San Diego Stone didn't exist. Back in "The Olden Days". I was riding a totally rigid Stumpjumper at the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    When I lived in San Diego Stone didn't exist. Back in "The Olden Days". I was riding a totally rigid Stumpjumper at the time.
    Olden Days? I am still riding rigid - only its not a stumpjumber - its a 18 year old steel GT single speed. ;-)
    Let's go SIOUX!!!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Here's a nice set of taps I ran across in Portland last week.

Hop Heads Unite-photo-1-.jpg

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Speaking of hops... there are hops growing wild in them thar hills.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    SHHHHH!!! Keep them to yourself. Mine at the house got pummeled by the hail. I need to get up there and harvest some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    SHHHHH!!! Keep them to yourself. Mine at the house got pummeled by the hail. I need to get up there and harvest some.
    You had better hurry... a lot of them were getting *really* ripe. But there were still quite a bit in prime condition...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Are you sure those are hops?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    Are you sure those are hops?
    Absolutely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm on my third 12 pack of that Shmaltz Hoppy brew. Of the four types in this sampler, two are 5.5%, one is either 6.3% or 6.8%, the R.I.P.A. is 10%. I like 'em all. I usually don't buy beer less than maybe 6.7% so it's kinda different drinking a 5.5%. I thought it would taste "less" maybe not as satisfying as a higher alcohol beer but that's not been the case. It just doesn't give me as much of a buzz which is actually a good thing.

I still haven't seen it anywhere else. Not Superior, not Hazels, not the liquor store next to Soopers on 136th. I might have to buy a couple more and stash them in a dark closet. For a rainy day!

mtbr member
    Umm you started this thread with a "one beer a night" theme. Funny! I have to admit I haven't had any Shmaltz beer, that I remember. Avery is great, and I am looking forward to them moving to Gunbarrel, right off the LoBo bike path. Ahh the Trail of Beers.

Note a saying amongst homebrewers, "hops die young." Hoppy beers are not the best for cellaring.
    My brain's living room is my stomach.

mtbr member

Hop Heads Unite

Anyone else hit up J Wells in Boulder? Dude knows his hops. Damn good beer!

Front Range, Colorado
    So what years did you live there? I faintly remember blowing past a dude on a fully rigid red Stumpjumper down Noble Canyon circa 2001' ish.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    So what years did you live there? I faintly remember blowing past a dude on a fully rigid red Stumpjumper down Noble Canyon circa 2001' ish.
    If that had been me, anybody could have been blowing past me. I never was a good descender. But it wasn't. I'd moved back here by then. SoCal was fun while it lasted but as I told my friends there "I have to get back to the world" meaning home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Here's a nice set of taps I ran across in Portland last week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	831047

_MK
    How was the beer? I hear tell Portland is crazy with brewpubs like we are here.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy View Post

Note a saying amongst homebrewers, "hops die young." Hoppy beers are not the best for cellaring.
    Cellaring beer?

Come on...

Front Range, Colorado
    If that had been me, anybody could have been blowing past me. I never was a good descender. But it wasn't. I'd moved back here by then. SoCal was fun while it lasted but as I told my friends there "I have to get back to the world" meaning home.
    I hear ya it is hard to stay away from "home". So what years were you there?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy View Post
    Umm you started this thread with a "one beer a night" theme. Funny! I have to admit I haven't had any Shmaltz beer, that I remember. Avery is great, and I am looking forward to them moving to Gunbarrel, right off the LoBo bike path. Ahh the Trail of Beers.

I'm always reassessing my needs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast