the fat kid

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Honeymoon Week! - Riding destination help near Breck/Frisco/Keystone

Well, here's the story. After a year of blissful marriage, meeting my wife ON teh trail, we've finally secured a condo for our honeymoon in Frisco, CO that was gifted to us by my parents! Since we met on the trail, of course we're going to shred some gnar for a week in (hopefully where we'll want to move to), Colorado mountains!

So, the place is in frisco. We're looking for the best places to ride around that area. We'll surely be visiting Keystone for a huck-tastic good time and apparently Breckenridge has a park too? Aside from freeriding, we would be interested in some good ol single track XC/AM riding too.

Neither of us have ever been out there and really have no idea where to start. Should we bring big bikes and focus on park riding? Or is there miles and miles of xc that we should bring xc bikes for? I only saw one 'epic' on IMBA's site thats about 2 hrs away, which i'd like to try... So really, we're just looking for ideas on where to go and any secret jems of riding that may be hidden out there! I hope you guys can help us out! Thanks!
    I ride faster than I should.

slow
    I'm biased toward XC type riding, but you could definitely stay occupied with XC riding for days on end in Summit County, and since you are willing to drive up to a couple of hours to reach Monarch Crest, you will have no lack of XC type trails to keep you busy, depending upon when you are in our area. Too early in the summer and you may not be able to get to some of the higher rides.

In the summer, there is usually a guide to Summit County trails that is available for free in most shops and visitor kiosks and many news paper type boxes around the county.

Lots of good stuff near Breck. Peaks Trail is rideable right out of Frisco. Don't miss the Colorado Trail from Georgia Pass to Gold Hill, or at least from West Ridge to Gold Hill. Good trails behind Summit Cove and over to the Dredge Boat.

For DH type riding, Winter Park is not far away, so you could head over there for a day.

If it were me, I'd bring an XC bike and then just rent a DH bike for a day at Keystone and one for a day at Winter Park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313 View Post
    Well, here's the story. After a year of blissful marriage, meeting my wife ON teh trail, we've finally secured a condo for our honeymoon in Frisco, CO that was gifted to us by my parents! Since we met on the trail, of course we're going to shred some gnar for a week in (hopefully where we'll want to move to), Colorado mountains!

So, the place is in frisco. We're looking for the best places to ride around that area. We'll surely be visiting Keystone for a huck-tastic good time and apparently Breckenridge has a park too? Aside from freeriding, we would be interested in some good ol single track XC/AM riding too.

Neither of us have ever been out there and really have no idea where to start. Should we bring big bikes and focus on park riding? Or is there miles and miles of xc that we should bring xc bikes for? I only saw one 'epic' on IMBA's site thats about 2 hrs away, which i'd like to try... So really, we're just looking for ideas on where to go and any secret jems of riding that may be hidden out there! I hope you guys can help us out! Thanks!
    When are you coming out? That is a very important piece of information! If it is high summer, you will have a lot more options for riding than early or late season.

There are fantastic XC trails in the Frisco area, you should plan on riding at least some portions of the Colorado trail. Specifically the portion from Tiger Road off highway 9 north of Breckenridge, which has tons of incredible flowy downhill, and the ride from Copper Mountain to Searle Pass which has amazing alpine scenery. I am sure lots of other suggestions will be forthcoming from others on this forum, too.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Bring both

If you're in Frisco, you're <1 hour from all the of the resort DH riding in CO, basically. Lots of threads about that, do a quick search and you'll find tons of info.

On the XC side, there is basically infinite ST in the area, here are some highlights that require minimal driving:
    -CO trail from Breck to Georgia pass (or the other way, lots of loop potential of various lengths along Tiger road)
    -Trails around Breck itself - tons of options, you can make long or short rides and up high quite easily.
    -CO trail from Copper to Camp Hale. Most amazing alpine ST I've ever ridden - above treeline for a significant period of time. Only open in late summer in normal snow years, and you'll need to start early and be ready to retreat if weather rolls in.
    -Two Elk. Most people shuttle but it's a fine loop with pretty minimal actual road riding (lots of paved bike path, though). Cruise through giant fields of wildflowers and then drop into a steep canyon for some fun techy bits (don't fall into the creek, certain spots could be dangerous if you're not on your game).
    -Meadow Mountain. Short (90min?) but super fun if you like riding through Aspen groves.
    -World's Greatest/A10/etc. There are a ton of trails in Eagle (west) that can be good if it's cold out or higher elevation stuff isn't dry.
    -Monarch Crest. A bit of a drive (maybe 2 hours?) but an amazing epic. You'll probably want to pay for the shuttle, it's a bit more epic than most people want if you ride all the way up the pass.

And that's just a start - you will have way more riding than you can possibly do in a week, or heck, a year or two. Try to be there in mid-late July or August to be sure the high elevation stuff is dry.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

the fat kid
    Oh man, awesome! I figured there was some favorites out there.

Suck, i knew i forgot the date. Its June 22-29. Because of my race schedule, i had a SUPER short period of time to operate in. So, what does that dictate? I've heard there can still be snow up high.. and im guessing that means snow/thaw = wet? Does wetness totally kill the trails there or will it still maintain?

Also, the more 'tech' the better. We're currently @ the illinois/wisconsin border and there is LOTS of plain ol' single track, which after a few hours gets insanely boring.... I'm originally from western Pennsylvania and its very technical and rocky in some spots, inwhich i think its very under appreciated in the national riders community, but anywho... I hope that helps, thanks so far for the info!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Most of the best rides in the area have already been listed. The problem won't be finding great rides but deciding which one to do (or do again).

This link is for the town of Breckenridge trails it contains links to the "town map" about 1/4 way down the page- there is more to ride in the surrounding area than is on this map but if you're like me staring at a map is always half the fun.

Town of Breckenridge : Trails

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Might be mud season

Depending on the snowpack and weather, you may or may not be able to ride most of the stuff around Frisco. Keystone is often open by then - but also often not open. The really high up (Monarch, 2 elk, Georgia pass) will all be no-go for sure unless it's freaky dry all spring.

The riding to the west (Eagle) will be good to go by then but it's a ~1 hour drive.

Unfortunately June is not the best time to be there. People who are not from CO do not realize how much snow piles up at high elevations and how long it takes to melt.

Generally speaking, we don't ride wet trails in the Rockies, though there are some exceptions.

-Walt

Oh man, awesome! I figured there was some favorites out there.

Suck, i knew i forgot the date. Its June 22-29. Because of my race schedule, i had a SUPER short period of time to operate in. So, what does that dictate? I've heard there can still be snow up high.. and im guessing that means snow/thaw = wet? Does wetness totally kill the trails there or will it still maintain?

Also, the more 'tech' the better. We're currently @ the illinois/wisconsin border and there is LOTS of plain ol' single track, which after a few hours gets insanely boring.... I'm originally from western Pennsylvania and its very technical and rocky in some spots, inwhich i think its very under appreciated in the national riders community, but anywho... I hope that helps, thanks so far for the info!
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Late June actually is not too bad. We've had great riding on July 4th in Crested Butte, so some higher elevation stuff might be in fine shape by then. Especially since this is shaping up to be a dry winter. Hoping that will change, but you never know.

Buffalo Creek (another epic ride) is not that far from Breck and should be easily rideable in late June. I am sure you will find something worth riding even if you can't hit the stuff above treeline. We have variety here
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Network of XC trails out around Keystone Ranch , jump onto these trails from the Summit Cove neighborhood just off Swan Mtn. Rd. as you're heading to Keystone from Dillon or Dredge Lot on Tiger Rd. in Breck.
    Peaks Trail, I like riding this from Breck to Frisco.
    Bakers Tank in Breck.
    Keystone for gnarly DH, Winter Park for flowy DH.
    Frisco Bike Park! Dirt jump area, pump track and a few bigger lines with plenty of berms and jumps/wood features. Free!
    I'm just repeating what's already been mentioned but hey, they're good trails. I agree with sgltrak, bring your XC or AM bike and rent a DH for lift access.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Given the way things are going with the snowpack this year late June may have a lot of options.

As mentioned, XC riding is endless.

Short list of more technical/rocky trails: Peaks, Burro, Wheeler, Two Elks, Ho Chi Min, Miles and miles of old mining/Jeep roads, Colorado trail from Georgia Pass to Middle fork of Swan.

All these trails require various amounts of climbing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Don't worry about the weather, if your willing to drive up to 2 hours the trails for you will be endless, if there is still snow on the ground you could head down to fruita and grand junction, up to boulder or golden, and endless ski resorts that all will not be covered with snow(maybe some) just check a week or 2 before you come and then post up and you will have a years worth of riding to do. Between Eagle, Vail,Breck,Keystone,Winterpark, Durango,Crestedbutte,Salida,boulder,golden,buffalo creek and I'm sure i missed a few you will not have any trouble finding great rides to do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Unless the snow season gets absolutely huge for the rest of the winter, those dates in June should be fine. It's been a less than stellar ski season so far. Last year after a crappy snow year, the good stuff was riding in May. The stuff above treeline might be a little snowy, but there is still plenty of "epic" riding below treeline. By coming out before July 4th, you will beat the busy tourist season.
    While you may be bored of "plain ol singletrack," it gets far less boring riding singletrack downhills that last 7 miles. If you want big trail day suggestions, check out the trails listed for days of the Breck Epic race. Just remember, your rides will start above 9000 ft and the altitude will kick your ass, adjust accordingly.

Also, order yourself the Latitude 40 map for the area, that will give you a good idea what is up there, probably over 1000 mies of marked trails on the map.
    Last edited by Whambat; 01-27-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: add additional

the fat kid
    Awesome. Thanks guys so much, there really is so much we'll have to figure out whats best. I think being below the tree line would be cooler IMO, so that is better correct? I know about the Breck Epic from 'following' Sonya Looney, (DELICIOUS)!! I found some info about those trails, which after some youtubing looked alright.

The altitude we account for, i know its going to suck since we are @ sea level here :fail:. I imagine it will make our rides shorter which is going to suck, but i think we can make it work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The above tree line stuff is fun, but it just takes awhile to melt snow above 11,500 feet.
    As far as altitude, just realize you will have a 20-30% reduction in VO2 max, you'll just need lower gears and plan on riding slower than normal. Do lots of intervals ahead of time, it will at least prepare you for the sucking wind feeling .

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Awesome. Thanks guys so much, there really is so much we'll have to figure out whats best. I think being below the tree line would be cooler IMO, so that is better correct?
    No - there is very little in this life that is better than getting up above treeline on a bicycle...

3 feet of powder overnight is one thing...

I can't think of the other thing.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat View Post
    The above tree line stuff is fun, but it just takes awhile to melt snow above 11,500 feet.
    No !!!

The snowpack above timberline melts out weeks to a month earlier under the blistering high altitude sun long before the timbered trails ever do. That's why it's so frustrating to get to the best trails in CO.

The few living trees left below timberline, shade the the snow, and keep the below timberline trails from melting out usually into mid-July.

the fat kid
    So basically snow up high don't count out.... yet snow lower don't count out either. but both above and below the trees is epic. Oh boy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave View Post
    No !!!

The snowpack above timberline melts out weeks to a month earlier under the blistering high altitude sun long before the timbered trails ever do. That's why it's so frustrating to get to the best trails in CO.

The few living trees left below timberline, shade the the snow, and keep the below timberline trails from melting out usually into mid-July.

What? Do you live in aurora?

lucky enough
    The best you can do for the altitude is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Drink lots of water and juices before rides and lots of water, etc. during rides. The better hydrated you are the sooner you can switch to beer after a ride!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

the fat kid
    Gotcha. My dakine is 3l and i believe my wifes camelbak is the same... but we'll account for carrying enough water for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

also, what elevation is "tree line" considered to be at?

slow
    ...also, what elevation is "tree line" considered to be at?
    +- 11,000'

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    11,600 actually although it varies with aspect. the whole the snow melts out high before in the trees is pretty inaccurate. Snow melt depends on a lot of factors - slope aspect, snow depth (snow can drift in to impressive depths on leeward slopes, even in dry years like this has been so far).

On average, trails above treeline don't melt out till early July. That's average and it can vary by several weeks on either side.

the fat kid
    So its probably best to say, prepare for some sort of snow. I think it will be a good adventure to drive around and explore regardless if the trails are less than satisfactory. Again, we'll be half prospecting to see if we want to move out there anyways! I'll be excited to see how the lower and higher elevations pan out.

mtbr member
    So, Gearhead......how was your trip?
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

the fat kid
    The trip was good!! I forgot to reply then had to go back out of town, so no time to sit down and extrapolate in this thread. ANyways,

The riding was VERY different than I was expecting! I come from the east coast where we have a lot of technical, aggressive trail systems. So, because of the rocky mountains, I was expecting just more of that. Well, it was VERY open path single track that turned into epic rides very fast! We did start at the Frisco bike park which was a blast! Great little park with some great lines, we spent half the first day warming up there. The first real ride was probably the trail that connects Breck to frisco, which was ok. It was heavily traveled with dog walkers and hikers. The terrain was fairly open and smooth, nothing too exciting. We did a part of the CO trail that lead out of Breck toward the east. That was a big beautiful trail as well. Its no doubt the scenery is what all these trails are for. Another good destination we went to was Pine, near Conifer. It was recommended to us and turned out to be excellent single track. I wanted to get out to Monarch and some others, but time wasnt on our side. We did a lot of other sight seeing and traveling around since we've never really been in the front range before.

All in all, it was great riding.. just not what i was expecting. I'm sure there were more places we could have went to get what we were looking for, but really it only expanded my "trail vocabulary" to know what is what. An east coast'r talking to rocky mtn folk certainly proved to be an educational time!