mtbr member
    May 2008

Hit by a car may need a lawyer in FTC any suggestions ?

I got hit on Friday and my bike is now in the shop, anyone know a good lawyer just in case ?

Anyone have experiences to share or advice ?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I hope you're alright.

Why do you think you need a lawyer? Are you so nice that you want to share a percentage of any settlement from the person who hit you or your insurance company?

Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Judging from the past few weeks here, there's gotta be at least ten or fifteen ambulance chasers right in this forum.

nopavement
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew7
    I got hit on Friday and my bike is now in the shop, anyone know a good lawyer just in case ?

Anyone have experiences to share or advice ?

Thanks
    Yeah, my suggestion would be keep off the road, and stop looking to sue somebody.

This is mtbr, not roadbikers in spandex.
    Shut up and ride!

respect the wildlife
    Assuming there is a police report then the insurance companies should take care of it, based on whoever's fault it was. I don't see why you would need a lawyer unless the driver was at fault and uninsured.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by birddog99
    Yeah, my suggestion would be keep off the road, and stop looking to sue somebody.

This is mtbr, not roadbikers in spandex.
    Riding on the road has nothing to do with "looking to sue" someone. He got hit and doesn't want to be screwed over by the driver's insurance company. It is the insurance company's job to give him as little money as possible. The OP said just in case which implies that he wants to have an attorney in line should he need it, say, should the insurance company try to screw him over.

A lot of mountain bikers also ride their bikes to work; I so happen to be one of them. Riding to work is healthy, fun, inexpensive and good for the earth. You should try it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am alright just a little sore and my bike is out of commision.

I don't want to sue anyone, I Just want my bike fixed, I'm not really concerned about the shift I missed, I hate insurance companies and I don't want to get screwed or have to argue for months.

No spandex here, I was just riding home from work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Unless it is in the hundreds, the insurance adjuster will probably try to shortchange you. Heck, I got rear-ended at a red light and they still tried to shortchange me on everything. When I mentioned getting an attorney, suddenly things straightened out but they had no room to argue- I was stopped at a red light. I'd recommend getting an attorney if you think they are even trying to mess with you. You should ask for the missed shift pay and get your bike fixed/replaced. Hopefully you don't have any nagging injuries.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Was this on Horsetooth Rd, near Fort Collins High?

Glenn D.

mtbr member
    Remenber that a lawyer is going to charge about 30% of whatever you recover, or charge you hourly. Either way, you need to consider how much you may be "getting screwed" because it could cost you more in the end to go through an attorney. Given that you are just a little sore and are talking about a the difference of a few hundred, maybe a few thousand, be sure to weigh your situation and consider the offset if you go down that road.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am alright just a little sore and my bike is out of commision.

I don't want to sue anyone, I Just want my bike fixed, I'm not really concerned about the shift I missed, I hate insurance companies and I don't want to get screwed or have to argue for months.

No spandex here, I was just riding home from work.
    Then you just have to suck up that hate and make a claim.

Get organized, have your accident report and make the phone calls. If one of you was issued a citation use that if appropriate. If you don't want to sue and/or don't want your own bill from an attorney I suggest the pro se legal work.

In the modern information age you just don't want your name in the courts' databases and you don't want to be bringing legal actions when not truly appropriate.

Accidents happen, it's never fun and you don't want other parties to be winners on your behalf. I hope all's well and you're healing fast.

Good luck and have patience and a smile when dealing with the other parties here.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It was on Horsetooth next to FCHS

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It was on Horsetooth next to FCHS
    I saw the aftermath with the police cars, firetrucks, ambulance and smashed bike. Glad to find out that the rider wasn't hurt too bad (I'm assuming).

Glenn D.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Drop me a private email.

I am a personal injury lawyer and can tell you how to handle the insurance company yourself (as a matter of courtesy to all my biking brethren out there).

Some of the posts are correct. You only need to hire a lawyer if your case is one with serious injuries. If you simply know the process and how to back up your claim you will be fine.

I am surprised to hear the comments from people saying you should suck it up as the price of riding. I can't help but think that they would have a completely different take if it was themselves that got pounded.

mtbr member
    Yeah, nobody is advising the OP to take the vehicle owner to the cleaners BUT serious injuries (if no insurance) and the cost of the bike should be a no brainer- definitely get an attorney to at least consult with you once.

Insurance companies are the worst when it comes to fair settlement. Do not leave it up to them. Thanks, jcc456, for offering to give Homebrew some advice.

Goofing off?
    All insurance companies need to be sued so that the high premiums actually go back to the people. From my experience with car accidents, an attorney can help with pain and suffering/ medical stuff, but it may be up to you to settle the repairs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Intenserider2
    All insurance companies need to be sued so that the high premiums actually go back to the people. From my experience with car accidents, an attorney can help with pain and suffering/ medical stuff, but it may be up to you to settle the repairs.
    Couldn't this be an argument on why insurance premiums are so high?????

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

drop me a PM

My wife was hit a number of years ago by a motorcycle, she was injured and had to hire a lawyer as she was being jacked around by the insurance company regarding medical bills and replacing her wrecked bike. That's all she wanted to do. Remember, Ins. COs are in the business of collecting premuims and denying claims. I would ignore most of the posts on this board criticizing you. Forgive them Lord as they know not what they do...a famous person once said. And I am not a pers. injury lawyer but I am pretty close.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc456
    I am surprised to hear the comments from people saying you should suck it up as the price of riding. I can't help but think that they would have a completely different take if it was themselves that got pounded.
    I don't think you read with the accurately I expect from an attorney or my ADD dyslexic self wrote with too much haste. The poster said he/she hates insurance companies and I suggested sucking up the hate because it does no or little good when it comes to negotiating and burying that which does one no good.

Unfortunately I think I know pounding by car too well via smashed foot, mangled knee, cracked vertebra, hip ground to the bone and road rash and other bruises so bad I still shudder thinking of the first few days of it 26 years later.

Thank you.