Thread: Hiking

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Hiking

I am planning a solo trip out to Colorado the last weekend in October. I will be flying into Denver unless Southwest flies into another city in Colorado. I am looking for a cool small town with a 12 or 14er to hike alone. In the town I would like a little night life and some great views. I am coming off a divorce and this is my time away.

Thanks!!

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33 View Post
    I am planning a solo trip out to Colorado the last weekend in October. I will be flying into Denver unless Southwest flies into another city in Colorado. I am looking for a cool small town with a 12 or 14er to hike alone. In the town I would like a little night life and some great views. I am coming off a divorce and this is my time away.

Thanks!!
    Dude, sorry to hear about the divorce. Been there. It gets better.

I'm pretty sure SW also flies into Colorado Springs. Easier airport to deal with.

I live in Salida, which is pretty much the cool small town with 12 or 14er that you describe. Two hours from CoSprings Airport, Three-ish from DIA.

We have many, many awesome hikes. Bad news: I don't think you're going to be getting up above about 11,000 feet without snowshoes or skis at this point. I am hunting elk in a week, so I've been doing lots of hiking. I have a pretty good idea where the snow line is, and at least around here it's about 11,000 feet. And there's snow predicted here Tuesday night and again for the weekend. I think high country snow is kind of the rule right now in CO. Two weeks from now it's likely to be quite a bit more.

But there's lots of amazing country to see lower. Around here we have good trails starting as low as 7,000 feet right from town, and we have tons of higher stuff... every elevation between 7K and 14.5K.

Also, since you are posting this to mtbr, I assume you could be a mountain biker. Here in Salida you could rent a bike and do a killer ride.

Assuming you drink beer (highly recommended for the newly divorced) we have three awesome brew pubs here. And a craft distillery.

So there's my recommendation. Here.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You sir are the man!! I will just fly to Denver and drive up. What would be your hotel of choice? I am going to book the flight for this Thursday - Monday.

Thanks Tom P!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Totally agree with Tom.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33 View Post
    You sir are the man!! I will just fly to Denver and drive up. What would be your hotel of choice? I am going to book the flight for this Thursday - Monday.
    Woodland Motel (woodlandmotel.com), unless you want to kind of do the fancy. There's a restored 1800s hotel right downtown called The Palace (Salida Palace Hotel). It's pretty sweet, and you can take your pick of six (6) drinkeries within a one block radius. The Woodland is also relatively close to downtown, a 5-minute drunken stumble. All the other lodgings other than B&Bs are out on highway 50. Not too far, but not downtown (which is where you want to be).

PM me when you are going to be here. I'll buy you a beer.

mtbr member
    Last week of October will still be ok for mountain biking on the front range centennial cone or buffalo creek as well. Just a thought...I live out in Golden where much of the front range mountain biking is in the metro area. I'm down to show ya around golden!

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Tom has the best suggestion. Woodland is a good budget suggestion, I have stayed there, it's basic, if that's what you want. There's a hostel right downtown too, or there used to be, if you want a social spot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Salida is a great town, not to far from crested butte or black canyon of the gunnison either.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    ... There's a hostel right downtown too, or there used to be, if you want a social spot.
    Thanks for reminding me. It's still there. Good hostel too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am heading to Salida this Friday. Tom has been a huge help for me for this trip! I will definitely be doing two hikes one on Saturday and one on Sunday with consumption of beer all weekend. We (Tom P) are waiting out to see if a snow storm rolls through to see which hike to do. If I have to I will rent a bike and ride at the lower elevation. I am going on a solo trip and feel like 20 guys are coming with since you are all helping. Thanks a ton!!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    That Tom guy is a nimrod.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    That Tom guy is a nimrod.
    No, I'm a jag-off. Big difference.

Motion activated
    Tom, if Salida isn't paying you, they should be.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    [QUOTE=TomP;10745573]
    Also, since you are posting this to mtbr, I assume you could be a mountain biker. Here in Salida you could rent a bike and do a killer ride.

QUOTE]

Tom, you seem to be the local expert on Salida trails. What trails are running right now? Was thinking about getting down that way this weekend. I've only ridden Monarch to Silver Creek and Monarch to Greens in the area so far.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan12210 View Post
    ... Salida trails. What trails are running right now? Was thinking about getting down that way this weekend. I've only ridden Monarch to Silver Creek and Monarch to Greens in the area so far.
    The weekend is a bit of a question right now. It is wind blowing light snow out there right now, really chilly too since the air is kind of humid.

Best guess is 1) all the low stuff (Ark Hills Trails like Frontside and Backbone, Methodist Trails like Little Rainbow and Lost Trail) will be totally dry. 2) Cottonwood will be fine, upper part may have some snow though. 3) Rainbow between Bear Creek and Sand Gulch should be fine, possibly bits of snow in perma-shade areas.

I was up at the Rainbow Trailhead on Silver Creek Sunday elk scouting. There were people riding. A little bit of snow, a little bit of mud, but totally good to go. How much is accumulating there right now? Probably more than here (none) but enough to screw it up for the weekend? Another little weather blip is due through here Friday-Saturday. So, that may or may not be much fun.

Crest, Starvation, Silver Creek Trail, Greens, Agate, Fooses... pretty much done unless you're a fat bike adventure hound. Colorado Trail from highway 50 north to BV? Maybe.

Saturday starts Elk/Deer 2nd Rifle Season. Wear orange stuff.

mtbr member
    Southwest doesn't fly into the Springs, unfortunately. Limiting it to that Airline pretty much means you are flying into Denver, or you could fly into Albuquerque to hit SW CO.

Aspen is about 4 hours from Denver. Its got everything.

Durango and Telluride are both good choices as well. Durango I think is 4 hours from Abq.

Of all those, I think the scenery is most awesome around Telluride. Or, the drive from Durango through Silverton and Ouray is unreal. Good hiking is around pretty much at any mountain town, but the night life is probably best in the ski type towns.