Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hiking

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Hiking

Hiking on multi-use trails. What is the appeal?
    Last edited by pdumas; 04-22-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Goat of Legend
    To explore places I can't by bike. To be with my family who don't enjoy bikes the way I do. To let my kids enjoy what they've found on the trail. To slow the pace and relax, I could go on, I don't do it enough but here's to discovering more hiking only trails this year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    To explore places I can't by bike.
    Stick to those places and I think we've found a solution!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pdumas
    What is the appeal?

(edit: sorry, I had to ask. really.)
    To be able to stand on the summits of 38 Fourteeners (I stopped at 38). Maybe that wouldn't appeal to you.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    To be able to stand on the summits of 38 Fourteeners (I stopped at 38). Maybe that wouldn't appeal to you.
    i used to hike a ton and even traveled around the world to do hikes. Then i discovered biking. I've only been on one hike since that time (2 years ago) and that was to summit mt elbert because everyone was telling me how great 14ers were. I spent the entire hike picking bike lines and eyeing up huck spots.
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Because bikepacking REALLY doesn't appeal to me.

killin clear creek
    Stick to those places and I think we've found a solution!

DING DING DING.... we have a winner. I'll never understand going walking on a trail filled wit hbikers (same way I don't get road biking aside from commuting I guess) If I go for a hike... I'm not gonna see ANYONE, much less have to worry about bikes.

Hiking on a bike trail (read: multi-use) is like skiing on a snowmobile trail to me.

I know a lot of folks here aren't fans of sleds likely, but it's UNREAL where you can go on them, the adventurous exploration side of things is just amazing sometimes. Getting away from everyone else is really cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I really have no ill will towards hikers (my lady friend is not into biking), and my original post isn't meant to rile anyone up. Didn't expect such serious responses, so I apologize if I offended anyone.

What is a fourteener? If it's 14,000 feet of elevation, I'd rather take my bike, even if I had to get off a lot. There's always the way down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I updated the question: what is the appeal of hiking on multi-use trails? Obviously I understand its important to keep trails open to multiple uses (we bikers might have few options otherwise), but if I were in to hiking I would choose to avoid bike heavy trails. Seems like the best hiking wouldn't be doable on a bike anyway.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

What is a fourteener? If it's 14,000 feet of elevation, I'd rather take my bike, even if I had to get off a lot. There's always the way down.
    Ummm... you're showing your ignorance here, man. On a lot of 14'ers you'd be hiking your bike up AND down.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I updated the question: what is the appeal of hiking on multi-use trails? Obviously I understand its important to keep trails open to multiple uses (we bikers might have few options otherwise), but if I were in to hiking I would choose to avoid bike heavy trails. Seems like the best hiking wouldn't be doable on a bike anyway.
    pdumas:

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Ummm... you're showing your ignorance here, man. On a lot of 14'ers you'd be hiking your bike up AND down.
    Of if that's the case, I'm definitely not interested in 14'ers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    pdumas:

Ha! I have to admit, that's pretty funny. Well played.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife
    DING DING DING.... we have a winner. I'll never understand going walking on a trail filled wit hbikers (same way I don't get road biking aside from commuting I guess) If I go for a hike... I'm not gonna see ANYONE, much less have to worry about bikes.
    This is exactly why hikers want to keep mountain bikes off trails.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Free your heel...
    As I understand the question why hike a trail that you can ride it. I like hiking but only on trials that I can't or wouldn't want to ride on. Climbing 14ers is a great experience but hiking Pikes Peak seems pointless because the whole thing is rideable in both directions and a really fun shuttle. When I'm hiking and I see bikes on the trail I always regret not having made the choice to ride.

Why go snowshoeing when you can skin up and ski down?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hopsalot
    Why go snowshoeing when you can skin up and ski down?
    This one I don't get. My friends wife skis and they bought each other snowshoes when I was offering up an AT setup.

killin clear creek
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    This is exactly why hikers want to keep mountain bikes off trails.

well, hopefully they'll have as much luck as road bikers would keeping cars off the road!

concretejungle... 100% snowshoes are fun at times, but an AT setup is vastly superior!

oh, and shoeing in ski boots BLOWS!!! At least with board boots it's a little better, but splitty's are the way to go there!
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle
    This one I don't get. My friends wife skis and they bought each other snowshoes when I was offering up an AT setup.
    Really?

You guys can't figure this out?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...For-Women.html

That's cheaper than ANY decent BC skis you can come up with... not to mention bindings, boots, etc.

I mean *I* would rather skin up/ski down almost every time... but to think that EVERYONE would prefer that is not really putting much thought into it.

Rigid in Evergreen
    I don't hike much, but sometimes it is good to see (and understand) life on the other side.

mtbr member
    Why hike on multi-use trails?

Because it's close and convenient.
    Because I'm injured or sick.
    Because my bike is out of commission.
    Because a friend/family wants to hike.
    Because I like that particular trail.
    Because I want to sneak up on some wildlife.

A few observations for those of us who do both though. It never fails, I always end the hike reminded how important it is to be polite and in control when I'm on my bike. Those suckers move fast and look heavy when you're on foot. Also, the first mile or so seems sooooooooo slowwwwwww.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Your question still needs refinement, because you equate "multi-use" with "bike heavy". I avoid hiking on bike heavy trails because I don't enjoy it as much and my dog wouldn't enjoy it as much. But there are plenty of trails that could have both bikers and hikers and still be pretty peaceful for both, because the numbers are small.

Also, your question could be twisted the other way. For ex., a place like kenosha pass, especially in the fall, is hugely popular with both hikers and bikers, and one could ask bikers "what is the appeal of biking on a trail filled with hikers"?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If there's anyone on this forum who knows about biking then hiking it's me. Because of a lingering injury I'm now a full-time hiker (please, let me heal up enough to even entertain the thought of riding again---I actually dream about riding )

When I first realized I was gonna have to hike to enjoy the outdoors, I thought, OK, let's check out trails I've never checked out because they're "hiker only". The first one was at Mt. Falcon (don't remember the name) but clearly I remember the relief of not having to worry about some biker coming up on me on a blind corner and the attendant panic on both sides (if indeed the bike rider gave a ****).

What I really miss about riding is the fitness, the technical aspect, the blending of man and machine, and the miles I could cover. A two hour hike is just a bunch of walking walking walking walking to cover not many miles, as opposed to riding two hours (you do the math). I'm just glad I saw all the splendor afforded the biker who can really get out there.

Why not start riding again, you ask? I was pretty messed up after my last crash and, quite frankly, I appreciate being 90% a whole lot more than the pleasure I got biking. When you all have as many miles riding under your belt as I have you might be able to make a similar call.

If you're mid-20s, well heck, you've got decades of coming back from injuries to decide whether you want to become a full-time hiker. Hopefully it's later rather than sooner.

Mostly, I see trails from a biker perspective. Hikers have no idea what it's like to ride. I see both sides. For now, hiking's all I got. And I do gravitate towards hiker only trails. Mainly 'cause I've seen every multi-use trail we have locally, a million times, I need something "new". (and not get harrassed by you ******* bikers )
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    If there's anyone on this forum who knows about biking then hiking it's me. Because of a lingering injury I'm now a full-time hiker (please, let me heal up enough to even entertain the thought of riding again---I actually dream about riding )
    My original post wasn't meant to be mean spirited and I'm surprised it's got this many responses because it's not really a fresh topic. I thought I was in safe company. Like I said, my lady friend is not a biker and likes to hike (and I hate it when she asks me to hike). But obviously there are many folks who, for whatever reason, are not able to ride, and if hiking is what you've got, more power to you.

killin clear creek
    Quote Originally Posted by pinerider
    Why hike on multi-use trails?

Because it's close and convenient.

Because I want to sneak up on some wildlife.

Serious question, is it really that far to get to trails that don't have a bunch of bikers? (keep in mind, never been to falcon or dakota, or most of the trails you guys mention, I ride clear creek scummit or grand)

I get that some spots are just pretty spots, but There are dozens of trails that are pretty cool where I'll never see a biker, from my place or lower, if I want to go hiking. Is it mostly that people just go to the same trails that they know or just that EVERY trail that's close is relatively well used?

As for sneaking up on wildlife, wouldn't that be easier on a trail without a bunch of loud bikes on it?

I know it's against my normal style, but actually serious, maybe I just really underestimate the amount of people not willing to drive 10 minuted further.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    But obviously there are many folks who, for whatever reason, are not able to ride, and if hiking is what you've got, more power to you.
    p dum as - then what was the point of this thread? Same reason we ride the multi-use trails i guess- they are there and they are a quick escape from the close by city? We pay for them as do the hikers and equestrians (those are horse riders) and im damn sure gonna ride my share-

Trust me mGe's rides involve plenty of hiking as do spikes! :
    Hiking-jones-pass-ride-049.jpg

Hiking-jones-pass-ride-055.jpg

Hiking-jones-pass-ride-035.jpg

And these were only at 13'000' +
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast