Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    140

    Highlands Ranch Trails?

    I have an hour + to kill while my daughter is at VBall practice in highlands ranch today. I found a map or two, but have never really heard anything about the trails in HR. Anyone have a suggestions as far as decent routes, or is it even worth bringing my bike?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    521
    There are some nice single track trails up in the HRCA Back Country area.
    You can dounload maps here Trails
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

  3. #3
    Loser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    481
    The HR trails are extremely fun IMO. I ride them 2-3 times a week since they are a few minutes from my house. I would park at the upper parking lot of Mountain Vista High School and do the following route.

    Head south out of the parking lot past the football field and take your first left. Pass through the fence and turn right onto the East West Trail. Climb the East West Trail all the way to the top of 6310 and enjoy the view for a few minutes (this is a good warmup, especially with all the washed out sections from the rains last week). Drop back down the way you came but veer right onto Rocky Gulch trail (you will see the gate on your right as you start to descend), and do the following loop.

    Rocky Gulch -> Buck Snort (cross over to the other side of the East West Trail to get to this)-> Tenderfoot -> Outlaw -> turn around and go back up Outlaw -> Longhorn Ledge -> Cowboy Up

    From there you can drop back down the East West Trail and return to your car. There is nothing technical about this trail system, just miles smooth fun with some decent climbs/descents. Watch out at the bottom of Outlaw. There are a ton of blind corners where its easy to crash into other bikers.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    140
    Perfect, I'll give that a shot. Thank you (both)!

  5. #5
    This place is wasteland
    Reputation: guacamole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    308
    Don't get caught by the trail nazis. HR residents don't wanna share their trails, but that doesn't stop them from riding Jeffco or other trails.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    521
    There is a difference between public and private trails. And g is somewhat correct in that HRCA Backcountry trails and are for Highlands Ranch Residents who can show their recreation membership card. Jeffco trails are public trails therefore everyone has access to them. Different ball game. Some people respect property rights and some do not.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

  7. #7
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,733
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    Don't get caught by the trail nazis. HR residents don't wanna share their trails, but that doesn't stop them from riding Jeffco or other trails.

    pshhh! no kidding _ pm me you can have my HR card! as ill be moving!

    and btw- you just rode the hundo and still have energy!!?? i only swept 50 miles and im kinda cooked- but picking up all that trash and markers will do that to ya!!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1

    Why Highlands Ranch Backcountry Trails are Private/Restricted Use.

    It's pretty simple guys - In ADDITION to paying normal property taxes like everyone does (which are substantial here in HR / Douglas County) residents in HR pay a quartly fee of $127 (that' $508 / year) that's goes STRICTLY to building and maintaining the 4 resident only Recreation Center / Gyms, as well as all the walking/hiking/biking trails and other park facilities and ball fields in HR. I.e. none of these items is funding for and/or maintained by ANY other source of FEDERAL/STATE/LOCAL Taxes. So YES, access to these things is RESTRICTED, including the Back Country and other mountain biking / hiking trails as they are all 100% paid for out of special funding out of local residents pockets. This is NO DIFFERENT, than if you have a special zoning / payment setup in your local neighborhood, wherever it is you live, for say a local swimming pool that you can use and I cannot.

  9. #9
    Loser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by mikester222 View Post
    It's pretty simple guys - In ADDITION to paying normal property taxes like everyone does (which are substantial here in HR / Douglas County) residents in HR pay a quartly fee of $127 (that' $508 / year) that's goes STRICTLY to building and maintaining the 4 resident only Recreation Center / Gyms, as well as all the walking/hiking/biking trails and other park facilities and ball fields in HR. I.e. none of these items is funding for and/or maintained by ANY other source of FEDERAL/STATE/LOCAL Taxes. So YES, access to these things is RESTRICTED, including the Back Country and other mountain biking / hiking trails as they are all 100% paid for out of special funding out of local residents pockets. This is NO DIFFERENT, than if you have a special zoning / payment setup in your local neighborhood, wherever it is you live, for say a local swimming pool that you can use and I cannot.
    Welcome to the MTBR Front Range forum. I can tell that you will get along well with everyone here.

  10. #10
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,600
    It's a valid point, though. Ken-Caryl Valley is the same way. The residents pay *EXTRA* to build and maintain PRIVATE trails. I don't begrudge them not wanting the public on them.

    Luckily I have a number of friends up there I can call upon.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    380
    Rather then fight about it , just post up to anyone who lives there and ride with them, By the way the trails are not that great just drive past it and go to ridge line in castle rock or ride the trails in jefferson county that blow it away.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    It's a valid point, though. Ken-Caryl Valley is the same way. The residents pay *EXTRA* to build and maintain PRIVATE trails. I don't begrudge them not wanting the public on them.

    Luckily I have a number of friends up there I can call upon.
    Most of the new trails cut in KCV is done by a group of resident volunteers (mostly bikers). The rangers that patrol the trails also handle the majority of the maintenance.

  13. #13
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Biopace View Post
    Most of the new trails cut in KCV is done by a group of resident volunteers (mostly bikers). The rangers that patrol the trails also handle the majority of the maintenance.
    Interesting. I was told that professional trail builders were hired to build the Lost Canyon Trail, which I thought was the most recent one built... but I haven't been there in awhile.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by mikester222 View Post
    It's pretty simple guys - In ADDITION to paying normal property taxes like everyone does (which are substantial here in HR / Douglas County) residents in HR pay a quartly fee of $127 (that' $508 / year) that's goes STRICTLY to building and maintaining the 4 resident only Recreation Center / Gyms, as well as all the walking/hiking/biking trails and other park facilities and ball fields in HR. I.e. none of these items is funding for and/or maintained by ANY other source of FEDERAL/STATE/LOCAL Taxes. So YES, access to these things is RESTRICTED, including the Back Country and other mountain biking / hiking trails as they are all 100% paid for out of special funding out of local residents pockets. This is NO DIFFERENT, than if you have a special zoning / payment setup in your local neighborhood, wherever it is you live, for say a local swimming pool that you can use and I cannot.
    I live in Castle Rock and pay dues that include creation and maintenance of a trail system yet we don't limit who can/can't enjoy the Ridgeline system

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by WaySlowWhitey View Post
    I live in Castle Rock and pay dues that include creation and maintenance of a trail system yet we don't limit who can/can't enjoy the Ridgeline system
    I agree but if you live in castle rock as i do myself why would you want to ride at Highlands Ranch. Hidden mesa is better then highlands ranch let alone Ridgeline.

  16. #16
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,733
    Nah - ridgeline is no fun- nothing to be seen here ......
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    Nah - ridgeline is no fun- nothing to be seen here ......
    Yeah ridgeline sucks, go ride at highlands ranch.

  18. #18
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,733
    Quote Originally Posted by richccc View Post
    Yeah ridgeline sucks, go ride at highlands ranch.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  19. #19
    The 5th knuckle
    Reputation: jaycastlerock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,608
    Who would want to ride in a circle anyway. Ride the Pie to Pie. Go to Anthonys Pizza at Santa Fe and what ever that street is by the stadium. Get a slice and a beer. Ride the Douglas county trail from there to the anthony's at Santa Fe and Happy Canyon, get a slice/Beer go back north. I normally do it from the south -north-south but your choice. Ridgeline is a bore. Also stay away from Indian Creek and Ringtail. HORRIBLE trail system. No scenery, all flat, just lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    Who would want to ride in a circle anyway. Ride the Pie to Pie. Go to Anthonys Pizza at Santa Fe and what ever that street is by the stadium. Get a slice and a beer. Ride the Douglas county trail from there to the anthony's at Santa Fe and Happy Canyon, get a slice/Beer go back north. I normally do it from the south -north-south but your choice. Ridgeline is a bore. Also stay away from Indian Creek and Ringtail. HORRIBLE trail system. No scenery, all flat, just lame.

  21. #21
    GPS_dr
    Reputation: gps_dr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    120
    The Douglas E/W trail goes thru the HCRA back country area (public trail).
    The private trails cross it in a number of places.

    DEW and other Highlands trails can be found @ GeoBiking.Org
    Go to the "Colorado" page to download Google Earth, Garmin or DeLorme Maps or tracks/routes/waypoints for over 2,000 miles of Front Range trails.
    2,000+ miles free Colorado FrontRange GPS enabled bike trails w/map overlays.
    View network via GoogleEarth @ GeoBiking.org

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    126
    The primary reason why the Highlands Ranch Association trails are "member only" is because of liability. I do not remember the exact verbiage but it has something to do with being a private organization, the HRCA has more liability exposure than a municipality.

    As someone above mentioned, if a non-resident is looking to ride the trails post a message and try to meet up with someone. The trails are not "Epic" but to be able to ride from my house and be on dirt within 4 minutes and ride for 3+ hours never seeing pavement to a nice thing to have IMO.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ktm2us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    95
    Love the trial for lazy day ride, where I do not have to drive, and have little window...about 18 miles of pretty flat ride for sub 2 hours...love it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •