Thread: High Rollers

Open the canned peaches!

High Rollers

I was looking at these as a choice for some new tires this summer and found them at Cambria for $18: http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=9490
    Seems like I heard some people like these for front range XC riding, and $18 seems like a deal compared to nearly twice as much for the Kenda's I was thinking about.

Love 'em? Hate 'em? Deal or No Deal?
    Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by KBZ77
    I was looking at these as a choice for some new tires this summer and found them at Cambria for $18: http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=9490
    Seems like I heard some people like these for front range XC riding, and $18 seems like a deal compared to nearly twice as much for the Kenda's I was thinking about.

Love 'em? Hate 'em? Deal or No Deal?
    The Highrollers for the front range are the single ply 42a durometer ones with wire beads. These are much heavier (2ply) with less grip (60a). They're not XC tires, more like DH. But they will for sure make you a stronger rider if you do decide to run them on your XC bike. Pedaling over 3lb tires on the steep hills of the front range can only do you good!

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I prefer the 2ply DH casting Maxxis tires to the single ply but that is just my opinion. They are a lot less likely to pinch or tear a side wall and I am able to run lower tire pressures on the DH castings. The High roller is a damn good tire for Colorado trails.

trail waggler

I ran the UST version for a while...

with a tube, of course. Very good tread pattern, but when they break loose, they REALLY break loose. I'd give them a try.

So, where did you used to brew?

Open the canned peaches!
    Thanks for the replies, I think I'm gonna give em a shot.
    Duramoter differences aside, the weight doesn't seem to be that big a diff. I looked up some weights and the high roller is listed at 810g, the trailbears I'm currently riding are 705g, and the Nevegals I was considering are 780g. If I did my math right, either one I'm considering is going to add approx. 6-8 ounces for both tires (I converted to ounces cuz I can visualize it better.) The overriding cheapness factor makes em worth a try to me, too.
    And I'm sure they'll be lighter than the Kujos I rode for awhile before I decided they were too heavy.

The Durometer difference is probably why they break loose so dramatically, no?

I'm also wondering what's a good lower pressure to try with the high rollers. I'm always concerned about pinches and have been running my trailbears and just about everything else I've tried around 38-40 psi and rarely pinch, but would like to experiment with running lower.

Dave, I was head brewer at Crane River Brewpub in Lincoln, NE. Like many of the breweries started at that time, they've closed shop. We made some pretty good ales if I do say so (Sodhouse Altbier was a personal fave.) It was a fun job with some nice perks but the salary was cr@p and the management was fairly clueless in how to run a restaurant.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by KBZ77
    Thanks for the replies, I think I'm gonna give em a shot.
    Duramoter differences aside, the weight doesn't seem to be that big a diff. I looked up some weights and the high roller is listed at 810g, the trailbears I'm currently riding are 705g, and the Nevegals I was considering are 780g. If I did my math right, either one I'm considering is going to add approx. 6-8 ounces for both tires (I converted to ounces cuz I can visualize it better.) The overriding cheapness factor makes em worth a try to me, too.
    And I'm sure they'll be lighter than the Kujos I rode for awhile before I decided they were too heavy.

The Durometer difference is probably why they break loose so dramatically, no?

I'm also wondering what's a good lower pressure to try with the high rollers. I'm always concerned about pinches and have been running my trailbears and just about everything else I've tried around 38-40 psi and rarely pinch, but would like to experiment with running lower.

Dave, I was head brewer at Crane River Brewpub in Lincoln, NE. Like many of the breweries started at that time, they've closed shop. We made some pretty good ales if I do say so (Sodhouse Altbier was a personal fave.) It was a fun job with some nice perks but the salary was cr@p and the management was fairly clueless in how to run a restaurant.
    If you'll look at Maxxis website they list their 1-ply 2.35 High Rollers with 60a durometer at 850g (under FreeRide). They also have a listing, under Downhill, for a 2.50 High Roller, 2-ply, 60a durometer at 1250g.

weightweenies.starbike.com has an independent measurement of that tire, 2ply 2.35, at 1242 g.

Just giving you a heads up, you'll be carying an extra pound on each tire vs your Trail Bear.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    There has got to be more than 8g difference between a 2.5 and a 2.35

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeandski
    There has got to be more than 8g difference between a 2.5 and a 2.35
    For sure. Maxxis tires usually are heavier than advertised.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

Open the canned peaches!
    Thanks MK. I don't want to those at that weight. Those are probably not lighter than the kujos I didn't like. I guess I need to stop being a cheapskate and spend some dough.
    My thoughts at this point are: Nevegals,Nevegal rear/ Blue Groove front, 42a High rollers. All are about $30-35. I think I saw Cinders on sale at Performance. Maybe look into those too...

Still on Training Wheels!
    I hit up a very similar deal on Ebay 2 for $40.

They are the 2.35 40A double ply High Rollers like you have listed. I absolutely loved the bite I got while climbing. I honestly can say that I cant remember ever spinning my tire while going up a steep climb. The weight was very noticable when I swapped the tire and put on a 2.5 Weirwolf for the front and moved my 2.35 Minnion F to the rear.The jury is still out on this setup, but thus far after 3 trail rides, I'm thinking about moving the Minion back to the front and getting a single ply 40A high roller for the rear(I liked it that much).

FWIW, I have heard complaints about how fast the 40A durometer wears.I weigh 185lbs and I have been using the same 40A highroller for the last 8 months and there is still plenty tread life left. Durring the summer I was getting in about 20-25 miles a of trail riding and a full day at Keystone per week and never had a single issue with the tire. I did also have great success running stans tubless with the double ply which helped a bit in the weight department.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account