30 something dad

High Plains/Coalton Trail Conditions

Anyone been out on the Coalton Trail over to High Plains? It was muddy a couple of weeks ago but I'm feeling like it should be pretty good this weekend. Any beta?

Cheers...

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Not my usual riding area, so I don't know which one is Coalton, but today I did do High Plains starting at the trailhead near 93 & 128. 95% is dry as a bone, 4% is soft in patches, but ridable, 1% please walk (folks going around a drift and the ground is too soft, so it's trashing the veg).

The north-south road at the terminus of High Plains is very soft for about a half mile, then turns into drifts as far as the eye can see (at which point I turned around).

Didn't do the road and trail along 93, but it looked dry.

I'd call it ridable, but ride responsibly.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

Born With A Tail
    How about Doody Draw? I'm wondering if the shaded area may still be too sloppy. I don't think it even froze overnight.

30 something dad
    Just rode Coalton Trail (from McCaslin) to High Plains, up Greenbelt to Community Ditch then looped by Superior Marketplace back up McCaslin. Aside from a long stretch of snow on the Coalton Trail (on the section after the climb after you turn South) and some muddy patches early on High Plains everything was great. I couldn't believe the difference between this weekend and last weekend on the Marshall Mesa. Almost 100% dry.

Oh and for those of us who were concerned about folks riding through mud, everything that was rutted last weekend was smoothed out. Good times!

Get it!

tiny rider
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Train
    How about Doody Draw? I'm wondering if the shaded area may still be too sloppy. I don't think it even froze overnight.
    I was on foot on the trails just north of NCAR on Tuesday and Thursday. They were a real mess in a number of spots, with mud, a bit of standing water and some dirty ice thrown in. While I don't know if this reflects the Dowdy Draw trail directly, I would plan to stay off that section for another week at least.

Ride Everything
    I started from the (new) Marshall Mesa trailhead today, and most of the lower trails were in surprisingly good shape. There was one section near the old trailhead that was pretty bad, but should be better in a couple days (maybe).
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by truepatriot09
    Just rode Coalton Trail (from McCaslin) to High Plains, up Greenbelt to Community Ditch then looped by Superior Marketplace back up McCaslin. Aside from a long stretch of snow on the Coalton Trail (on the section after the climb after you turn South) and some muddy patches early on High Plains everything was great. I couldn't believe the difference between this weekend and last weekend on the Marshall Mesa. Almost 100% dry.

Oh and for those of us who were concerned about folks riding through mud, everything that was rutted last weekend was smoothed out. Good times!

Get it!
    Did the top of the Coalton trail look something like this?

30 something dad
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    Did the top of the Coalton trail look something like this?

Actually if I recall you took that pic at the Coalton/High Plains junction, so it's amazing how dry the trail is considering that that much snow was there not that long ago. The snow field on the Coalton trail isn't that bad. There are sections that are ridable. I hit a spot where I had to dismount and couldn't start back up so I just took it as a good opportunity to practice my hike-a-bike!

Seriously though the trails in great shape out there, and a few more days of sunshine and that snowy section is going bye-bye. Of course, there is snow in the forecast for tomorrow night! Winter ain't over yet.

Cheers!

Ride Everything
    That's pretty impressive that it melted so quickly.

Born With A Tail
    The stretch of Coalton that runs north/south has mucho snow/mud, but it can be ridden or walked. Everything else in the area is dry and good except Doody Draw. I saw a lady out at 93 who was coming east from the Draw and said not to bother. If it were frozen it'd be ok.