Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: High Park Fire

tiny rider

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! High Park Fire

denverpost.com : High Park Fire in Larimer County grows from 50 acres to 200 in half hour

Fast growing fire west of Loveland and Ft. Collins.

From Estes it looks like a giant thundercloud building to the north.

I hope everyone stays safe and this is under control as soon as possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looks pretty bad from East of FC too. Best wishes to anybody affected and those involved with the fire fighting

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was up on Springbrook, doing the usual. I got to the big meadow, turned around to get a pic of some riders coming through and WTF? Another fire? Why not. Hottest day of the year, like clockwork A New Fire! Lightning, downed power line, human caused...who knows at this point.

The first pic is early on. By the time I got home it had exploded in size.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:56 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    looked big from chief mtn today
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    looked big from chief mtn today
    bumpin some Warren G, eh
    nice
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Trail Connoisseur
    Looks like a mushroom cloud from FoCo... 2000+ acres already

InciWeb the Incident Information System: High Park Fire

boxcar
    0% contained, 5-6 miles north of Bobcat Ridge, lots of artillery on it, flyin over all day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    View looking out the backdoor of the shop. Jealous of you fellows who got to snap your pictures while on a ride rather than at work

Last edited by DanD; 06-09-2012 at 07:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Gee, another fire in Colorado.

Really? Who gives a flying f!ck?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenbikesnob View Post
    Gee, another fire in Colorado.

Really? Who gives a flying f!ck?
    I ride those trails that are burning, so ya, I care. Even if it weren't for my personal attachment to the place, fire is a pretty fascinating phenomenon.

EDIT: Being concerned for the trails is a bit petty I realize. My best thoughts go out to everyone living up there who has lost their home or are at risk of it.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=DanD;9394688]I ride those trails that are burning, so ya, I care. Even if it weren't for my personal attachment to the place, fire is a pretty fascinating phenomenon.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=MarketingMTB;9394727]
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    I ride those trails that are burning, so ya, I care. Even if it weren't for my personal attachment to the place, fire is a pretty fascinating phenomenon.
    Fire is a normal phenomenon in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=MarketingMTB;9394741]
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingMTB View Post

I'm not claiming that it isn't. It's something that I think is interesting and I'm glad there are other people on this site that brought up discussion about it, especially as it's relevant because I'm curious how the trails in that area will be effected.

Now with 10% more!
    [QUOTE=MarketingMTB;9394741]
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingMTB View Post

Mountain biking is a normal phenomenon in Colorado.

Shut the whole site down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Winds have picked up and it keeps growing towards the east.
    Hoping they can get a hold on this before it continues to burn into more populated areas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I nabbed a few shots of the sunset and the fire tonight. Flames are now visible from rotary park. Hopefully someone with better camera skills than my self was able to capture what I saw, OBD, you out there? Until then, here's what I got:

At times during the sunset, the smoke entirely blocked out the sun.

This one was taken from rotary park, 1 mile from my apartment as the crow flies. I estimate the fire is ~6 miles from my door. Luckily there's a lake in the way.

Now with 10% more!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    I nabbed a few shots of the sunset and the fire tonight. Flames are now visible from rotary park. Hopefully someone with better camera skills than my self was able to capture what I saw, OBD, you out there? Until then, here's what I got:

At times during the sunset, the smoke entirely blocked out the sun.

This one was taken from rotary park, 1 mile from my apartment as the crow flies. I estimate the fire is ~6 miles from my door. Luckily there's a lake in the way.
    I took some crappy cell phone pics of it that aren't really worth uploading. I didn't know there was another fire and went and rode pineridge and maxwell this evening, admiring how crazy the "clouds" looked during sunset. Got to the top of Maxwell and got the whole story. There was also a decent size crowd of people in the parking lot up top, taking photos and observing. Live on the westside of town, smells pretty strong now but the wind appears to have died down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

6am Sunday sunrise

Don't smell any smoke here in Westminster.

edit: wind just shifted. Yup, smoke in the air.

From Larimer County Emergency:

5:55 AM - Jun 10

474 evacuation notices for the High Park Fire have been sent to residents in areas south and west of Bellvue to include the Lory State Park area, the Redstone Canyon area and Buckhorn Road up to the Stove Prairie School. Residents in this evacuation area need to evacuate to the McKee building on The Ranch property at I25 and Crossroads Blvd. Use the south entrance and park in the first gravel lot. Officals with the Red Cross will be there.

150 evacuation notices have been sent to residents from CR27E to Bellvue for the High Park Fire.
    This follows the 177 notifications sent last night for Poudre Canyon from MM111 to MM118 on Highway 14. The entire Poudre Canyon from Stove Prairie Road to Ted's Place at Highway 287 is under mandatory evacuation.

Highway 14 is closed from Ted's Place to Stove Prairie Road. Visitors should avoid this area.

Evacuation center is Cache La Poudre Middle School in Laporte.

Large animals and livestock can be taken to the Ranch at I-25 & Crossroads Blvd. Smaller animals and pets may be taken to Larimer Humane Society.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:53 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    There is ash all over my car and around my house this morning here in old town Fort Collins.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Probably a dumb question, but it wouldnt be smart to go riding anywhere in the fort collins area right now, due to all the smoke you'd be breathing in. Would everyone agree on that?

Colorado
    Probably right, not the best idea to inhale all that smoke if you don't have to.

sock skeleton
    Oct 2005
    My son lives in north Loveland and we have shared many great rides Bobcat, Hewletts, Lory, Maxwell and Backbone. My thoughts go out to folks out there in the fire zone.

mtbr member
    I had planned an early morning ride from home to HTMP, North to Lory, East to Shoreline and Maxwell and then home. I walked outside around 6am and the smoke was pretty thick and saw some ash in the air so I figured it wouldn't be good for the lungs. Plus I think Lory might be shutdown and HTMP could be as well for all I know.

It would have been a nice ride with the great cool weather.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandy View Post
    fire is a pretty fascinating phenomenon

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrydogs View Post
    I had planned an early morning ride from home to HTMP, North to Lory, East to Shoreline and Maxwell and then home. I walked outside around 6am and the smoke was pretty thick and saw some ash in the air so I figured it wouldn't be good for the lungs. Plus I think Lory might be shutdown and HTMP could be as well for all I know.

It would have been a nice ride with the great cool weather.
    I think the Backbone should be fine without smoke. The wind is coming from the SW so the smoke in theory shouldn't make it's way there. That's where I'm heading. I hit the Good Guys car show yesterday at the Ranch. It was a good time although $18 is a bit steep for admission. I figure a ride today will make for a good weekend. My thoughts and prayers go out to those effected by this fire.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast