Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    shredder

high five colorado

we are the only state in the united states with a obesity rate below 20% good job bikers for bringing that number down a little or a lot whichever one
    say no to kona

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The sad part of that article/study is that about twenty years ago there were not any states above 15%.

Great that Colorado is the least obese, but overall the U.S. is getting fatter and unhealthier.
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Unfortunately I am in that 20% but I'll keep riding and hopefully be there soon. So far 70 miles in July

C
    Last edited by Curtis C; 07-10-2011 at 07:20 PM.

shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by FR hokeypokey View Post
    The sad part of that article/study is that about twenty years ago there were not any states above 15%.

Great that Colorado is the least obese, but overall the U.S. is getting fatter and unhealthier.
    thats america for you. hopefully there will be more push towards fixing this problem. like the no salt law in new york (i think). that was for high blood pressure but its not a bad idea.

i saw a mom buying her kids mcdonalds last night at around 11:50. just sick and disgusting. parents should care more about there kids. glad my dad got me into biking and staying active.
    say no to kona

My leg feels funny
    From Colbert:

Colorado with a 19.1% obesity rate has a higher percentage than the fattest state in 1991 Mississippi with a 15.7% obesity rate.

mtbr member
    After living abroad in SE Asia for nine months, the very first thing that hit me when I came back was how plump Americans are. Living here and seeing it everyday you get used to it, but when you've been away for awhile and return, you really notice what a sad state of health we're in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddfuji View Post
    thats america for you. hopefully there will be more push towards fixing this problem. like the no salt law in new york (i think). that was for high blood pressure but its not a bad idea.

i saw a mom buying her kids mcdonalds last night at around 11:50. just sick and disgusting. parents should care more about there kids. glad my dad got me into biking and staying active.
    Yep that's the spirit, create laws to ban everything that a certain voting group thinks is bad. Eliminate all personal accountabilty. Worked for underage drinking and marijuana and cocaine and blah blah.
    It's genetics that caused them to eat 6000 calories at Sbaro's pizza. Just like it was the toy in a Happy meal that cause the parent to buy their child a hamburger and fries.

friend of Apex

Except salt induced hypertension is a myth for the most part.

The issue is too many easy calories. Coke and fries in addition to the cheap burger are a major culprit.
    It's nice that the gov cares so much about me that they make laws to protect me. But it all comes down to finances. People buy what's cheap. They tried to pass a law to tax soda and juice last year. All I heard was commercials about making it harder to feed a family and greedy gov. Of course the bill failed, I mean it's a *tax*.
    Maybe if somethings weren't so cheap and easy people would make better choices. The effects later on are much more costly to everyone else.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Mmmm... beer...

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

Not specifically this car:

But you get the idea- are we so lazy we cannot lift a tailgate! Or Parallel park our cars!??
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Rigid in Evergreen
    Unfortunately the national pass-time has become sitting in front of the television and/or Internet obsessing over what other people are doing (or not doing) and blaming them, rather than taking care of ourselves as individuals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Except salt induced hypertension is a myth for the most part.

The issue is too many easy calories. Coke and fries in addition to the cheap burger are a major culprit.
    It's nice that the gov cares so much about me that they make laws to protect me. But it all comes down to finances. People buy what's cheap. They tried to pass a law to tax soda and juice last year. All I heard was commercials about making it harder to feed a family and greedy gov. Of course the bill failed, I mean it's a *tax*.
    Maybe if somethings weren't so cheap and easy people would make better choices. The effects later on are much more costly to everyone else.
    If corn wasn't subsidized then soda and other unhealthy choices would not have such low prices. The government dosn't need to pass laws to protect me I can do it myself. The government needs to eliminate corn subsides and let the market do it's job.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    Unfortunately the national pass-time has become sitting in front of the television and/or Internet obsessing over what other people are doing (or not doing) and blaming them, rather than taking care of ourselves as individuals.
    haha, couldn't have said it better there, so true

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine View Post
    Eliminate all personal accountabilty.
    I do agree, but unfortunately people are not personally accountable with what they are eating and this obesity issue is crushing our health care system. My wife is a nurse in a medical ICU and the majority of the patients are obese and all suffer from what they call "fat person disease" which are all the common illnesses associated with being over weight (diabetic, hypertension, to fat to breath is a common one now).

The problem is these chronic illnesses cause these people to be in and out of the ER, ICU, etc. (regular overnight stays in the hospital) and they can live like this for 20 or 30 years....racking up massive medical bills that we end up paying for one way or another (either tax dollars or through our premiums).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mandate tiny elevator buttons.

If your finger is to grossly fat too press the button, you have to take the stairs.
    Last edited by Wiggs; 07-11-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggs View Post
    mandate tiny elevator buttons.

If your finger is to grossly fat to press the button, you have to take the stairs.
    genius!!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post
    Mandate tiny elevator buttons.

If your finger is to grossly fat to press the button, you have to take the stairs.

Whatever, they'd just get dialing wands.....

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    I do agree, but unfortunately people are not personally accountable with what they are eating and this obesity issue is crushing our health care system. My wife is a nurse in a medical ICU and the majority of the patients are obese and all suffer from what they call "fat person disease" which are all the common illnesses associated with being over weight (diabetic, hypertension, to fat to breath is a common one now).

The problem is these chronic illnesses cause these people to be in and out of the ER, ICU, etc. (regular overnight stays in the hospital) and they can live like this for 20 or 30 years....racking up massive medical bills that we end up paying for one way or another (either tax dollars or through our premiums).
    Nailed it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post

I am well aware of the repercussions of obesity. But is that reason enough to pass laws banning foods and eating behaviors? Creating more government intrusion into our lives. We have seen how well that has worked with illegal drugs. Do you actually think it would work with food?
    Where does it end? How about banning mountain biking because of the increased chance of physical injury.
    How much molestation and groping are you willing to endure by the TSA to ensure a safe airline flight?
    It's really boils down to fundamental "human tendencies".
    And it is folly to think that any "democratic" government can police an individuals personal health decisions. The only way you can get a person to live healthier is to get them to think healthier.
    Laws and regulations will be ineffectual and serve to increase government intrusion into our lives.
    Remember our government knows best...

Beer Me!
    I am well aware of the repercussions of obesity. But is that reason enough to pass laws banning foods and eating behaviors? Creating more government intrusion into our lives. We have seen how well that has worked with illegal drugs. Do you actually think it would work with food?
    Where does it end? How about banning mountain biking because of the increased chance of physical injury.
    How much molestation and groping are you willing to endure by the TSA to ensure a safe airline flight?
    It's really boils down to fundamental "human tendencies".
    And it is folly to think that any "democratic" government can police an individuals personal health decisions. The only way you can get a person to live healthier is to get them to think healthier.
    Laws and regulations will be ineffectual and serve to increase government intrusion into our lives.
    I have no idea what the best plan of action is, seems like all these "grown up" topics of debate never have a good answer. You hit on more than one topic in your post, and they all:

We can't continue to support the health care industry the way it is, obesity is still on the rise, corn subsidies, monsanto, farmers rights, mad cow, ground beef, zombies! what is the world coming too.

Like the O.P. said, way to go CO, were the least fat of the fatties.

shredder
    I wasn't implying to ban more foods restrict foods and pass a ton of legeslation. I just think that the gov should be discouraging certain stuff. like a higher tax on soda I think is a good idea. if people are gonna destroy there digestive tracks with acidic sugar substances we might as well make them pay more for it. I wouldn't want the gov banning certain food or products either. they wouldn't do that. I just think there should be more progams to encourage healthy eating and staying active. kids sitting around on social networks and watching tv is a problem. but then again it comes down to how they were raised and whether or not if there parents care how they spend there days.

but we should be worrying more about the debt and financial issues of this country more then obesity :P still worrying issue
    say no to kona

shredder
    I
    how much surplus of money does china have? what kind of goverment are they running?
    interesting
    say no to kona

mtbr member
    how much surplus of money does china have? what kind of goverment are they running?
    interesting
    Yes china has a booming manufacturing and natural resource economy, mostly due to the fact that labor unions and higher wages are blocked by the oppressive government..
    Were you for or against the Wisconsin amendment in which the senate voted to ban collective bargaining for public employees? What do you think China would do?

So let me ask you this comrade. Where would you be in the communist dictatorship ideology? Let me guess, You'll be one of the ruling elite, not one of the slave laborers!
    How righteous of you!

The mindset of Benevolent dictatorship is an infection of ego.
    Last edited by wormvine; 07-11-2011 at 12:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    I have no idea what the best plan of action is, seems like all these "grown up" topics of debate never have a good answer. You hit on more than one topic in your post, and they all:

We can't continue to support the health care industry the way it is, obesity is still on the rise, corn subsidies, monsanto, farmers rights, mad cow, ground beef, zombies! what is the world coming too.

Like the O.P. said, way to go CO, were the least fat of the fatties.

I agree with you. There are lots wrong with the way things are in the US and in the world.
    I personally think that the US is fundamentally split in ideological matters. I don't know why we continue to fight back and forth over political ideologies. I had room-mates over the years that I was 180 degrees opposite and guess what, we no longer live together and we went our separate ways.

Too bad we cannot do this in the US.
    It seems more like certain political parties think:
    One Ring to rule them all,
    One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.

But seriously...

Where is this live and let live philosophy?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Are we still talking about mountain bikes and obese people?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast