shredder

high five colorado

we are the only state in the united states with a obesity rate below 20% good job bikers for bringing that number down a little or a lot whichever one
    say no to kona

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The sad part of that article/study is that about twenty years ago there were not any states above 15%.

Great that Colorado is the least obese, but overall the U.S. is getting fatter and unhealthier.
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Unfortunately I am in that 20% but I'll keep riding and hopefully be there soon. So far 70 miles in July

C
    Last edited by Curtis C; 07-10-2011 at 07:20 PM.

shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by FR hokeypokey View Post
    The sad part of that article/study is that about twenty years ago there were not any states above 15%.

Great that Colorado is the least obese, but overall the U.S. is getting fatter and unhealthier.
    thats america for you. hopefully there will be more push towards fixing this problem. like the no salt law in new york (i think). that was for high blood pressure but its not a bad idea.

i saw a mom buying her kids mcdonalds last night at around 11:50. just sick and disgusting. parents should care more about there kids. glad my dad got me into biking and staying active.
    say no to kona

My leg feels funny
    From Colbert:

Colorado with a 19.1% obesity rate — has a higher percentage than the fattest state in 1991 — Mississippi with a 15.7% obesity rate.

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:368px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:340908" width="360" height="293" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/340908/july-07-2010/thought-for-food---kentucky-tuna---grilled-cheese-burger-melt">The Colbert Report</a></b><br/>Get More: <a href='http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/'>Colbert Report Full Episodes</a>,<a href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a>,<a href='http://www.colbertnation.com/video'>Video Archive</a></p></div></div>

mtbr member
    After living abroad in SE Asia for nine months, the very first thing that hit me when I came back was how plump Americans are. Living here and seeing it everyday you get used to it, but when you've been away for awhile and return, you really notice what a sad state of health we're in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddfuji View Post
    thats america for you. hopefully there will be more push towards fixing this problem. like the no salt law in new york (i think). that was for high blood pressure but its not a bad idea.

i saw a mom buying her kids mcdonalds last night at around 11:50. just sick and disgusting. parents should care more about there kids. glad my dad got me into biking and staying active.
    Yep that's the spirit, create laws to ban everything that a certain voting group thinks is bad. Eliminate all personal accountabilty. Worked for underage drinking and marijuana and cocaine and blah blah.
    It's genetics that caused them to eat 6000 calories at Sbaro's pizza. Just like it was the toy in a Happy meal that cause the parent to buy their child a hamburger and fries.

friend of Apex

Except salt induced hypertension is a myth for the most part.

The issue is too many easy calories. Coke and fries in addition to the cheap burger are a major culprit.
    It's nice that the gov cares so much about me that they make laws to protect me. But it all comes down to finances. People buy what's cheap. They tried to pass a law to tax soda and juice last year. All I heard was commercials about making it harder to feed a family and greedy gov. Of course the bill failed, I mean it's a *tax*.
    Maybe if somethings weren't so cheap and easy people would make better choices. The effects later on are much more costly to everyone else.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Mmmm... beer...

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

Not specifically this car:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7bQe3fLXHRc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But you get the idea- are we so lazy we cannot lift a tailgate! Or Parallel park our cars!??
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Rigid in Evergreen
    Unfortunately the national pass-time has become sitting in front of the television and/or Internet obsessing over what other people are doing (or not doing) and blaming them, rather than taking care of ourselves as individuals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Except salt induced hypertension is a myth for the most part.

The issue is too many easy calories. Coke and fries in addition to the cheap burger are a major culprit.
    It's nice that the gov cares so much about me that they make laws to protect me. But it all comes down to finances. People buy what's cheap. They tried to pass a law to tax soda and juice last year. All I heard was commercials about making it harder to feed a family and greedy gov. Of course the bill failed, I mean it's a *tax*.
    Maybe if somethings weren't so cheap and easy people would make better choices. The effects later on are much more costly to everyone else.
    If corn wasn't subsidized then soda and other unhealthy choices would not have such low prices. The government dosn't need to pass laws to protect me I can do it myself. The government needs to eliminate corn subsides and let the market do it's job.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    Unfortunately the national pass-time has become sitting in front of the television and/or Internet obsessing over what other people are doing (or not doing) and blaming them, rather than taking care of ourselves as individuals.
    haha, couldn't have said it better there, so true

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine View Post
    Eliminate all personal accountabilty.
    I do agree, but unfortunately people are not personally accountable with what they are eating and this obesity issue is crushing our health care system. My wife is a nurse in a medical ICU and the majority of the patients are obese and all suffer from what they call "fat person disease" which are all the common illnesses associated with being over weight (diabetic, hypertension, to fat to breath is a common one now).

The problem is these chronic illnesses cause these people to be in and out of the ER, ICU, etc. (regular overnight stays in the hospital) and they can live like this for 20 or 30 years....racking up massive medical bills that we end up paying for one way or another (either tax dollars or through our premiums).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mandate tiny elevator buttons.

If your finger is to grossly fat too press the button, you have to take the stairs.
    Last edited by Wiggs; 07-11-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggs View Post
    mandate tiny elevator buttons.

If your finger is to grossly fat to press the button, you have to take the stairs.
    genius!!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post
    Mandate tiny elevator buttons.

If your finger is to grossly fat to press the button, you have to take the stairs.

Whatever, they'd just get dialing wands.....

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    I do agree, but unfortunately people are not personally accountable with what they are eating and this obesity issue is crushing our health care system. My wife is a nurse in a medical ICU and the majority of the patients are obese and all suffer from what they call "fat person disease" which are all the common illnesses associated with being over weight (diabetic, hypertension, to fat to breath is a common one now).

The problem is these chronic illnesses cause these people to be in and out of the ER, ICU, etc. (regular overnight stays in the hospital) and they can live like this for 20 or 30 years....racking up massive medical bills that we end up paying for one way or another (either tax dollars or through our premiums).
    Nailed it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post

I am well aware of the repercussions of obesity. But is that reason enough to pass laws banning foods and eating behaviors? Creating more government intrusion into our lives. We have seen how well that has worked with illegal drugs. Do you actually think it would work with food?
    Where does it end? How about banning mountain biking because of the increased chance of physical injury.
    How much molestation and groping are you willing to endure by the TSA to ensure a safe airline flight?
    It's really boils down to fundamental "human tendencies".
    And it is folly to think that any "democratic" government can police an individuals personal health decisions. The only way you can get a person to live healthier is to get them to think healthier.
    Laws and regulations will be ineffectual and serve to increase government intrusion into our lives.
    Remember our government knows best...

Beer Me!
    I am well aware of the repercussions of obesity. But is that reason enough to pass laws banning foods and eating behaviors? Creating more government intrusion into our lives. We have seen how well that has worked with illegal drugs. Do you actually think it would work with food?
    Where does it end? How about banning mountain biking because of the increased chance of physical injury.
    How much molestation and groping are you willing to endure by the TSA to ensure a safe airline flight?
    It's really boils down to fundamental "human tendencies".
    And it is folly to think that any "democratic" government can police an individuals personal health decisions. The only way you can get a person to live healthier is to get them to think healthier.
    Laws and regulations will be ineffectual and serve to increase government intrusion into our lives.
    I have no idea what the best plan of action is, seems like all these "grown up" topics of debate never have a good answer. You hit on more than one topic in your post, and they all:

We can't continue to support the health care industry the way it is, obesity is still on the rise, corn subsidies, monsanto, farmers rights, mad cow, ground beef, zombies! what is the world coming too.

Like the O.P. said, way to go CO, were the least fat of the fatties.

shredder
    I wasn't implying to ban more foods restrict foods and pass a ton of legeslation. I just think that the gov should be discouraging certain stuff. like a higher tax on soda I think is a good idea. if people are gonna destroy there digestive tracks with acidic sugar substances we might as well make them pay more for it. I wouldn't want the gov banning certain food or products either. they wouldn't do that. I just think there should be more progams to encourage healthy eating and staying active. kids sitting around on social networks and watching tv is a problem. but then again it comes down to how they were raised and whether or not if there parents care how they spend there days.

but we should be worrying more about the debt and financial issues of this country more then obesity :P still worrying issue
    say no to kona

shredder
    I
    how much surplus of money does china have? what kind of goverment are they running?
    interesting
    say no to kona

mtbr member
    how much surplus of money does china have? what kind of goverment are they running?
    interesting
    Yes china has a booming manufacturing and natural resource economy, mostly due to the fact that labor unions and higher wages are blocked by the oppressive government..
    Were you for or against the Wisconsin amendment in which the senate voted to ban collective bargaining for public employees? What do you think China would do?

So let me ask you this comrade. Where would you be in the communist dictatorship ideology? Let me guess, You'll be one of the ruling elite, not one of the slave laborers!
    How righteous of you!

The mindset of Benevolent dictatorship is an infection of ego.
    Last edited by wormvine; 07-11-2011 at 12:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    I have no idea what the best plan of action is, seems like all these "grown up" topics of debate never have a good answer. You hit on more than one topic in your post, and they all:

We can't continue to support the health care industry the way it is, obesity is still on the rise, corn subsidies, monsanto, farmers rights, mad cow, ground beef, zombies! what is the world coming too.

Like the O.P. said, way to go CO, were the least fat of the fatties.

I agree with you. There are lots wrong with the way things are in the US and in the world.
    I personally think that the US is fundamentally split in ideological matters. I don't know why we continue to fight back and forth over political ideologies. I had room-mates over the years that I was 180 degrees opposite and guess what, we no longer live together and we went our separate ways.

Too bad we cannot do this in the US.
    It seems more like certain political parties think:
    One Ring to rule them all,
    One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.

But seriously...

Where is this live and let live philosophy?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Are we still talking about mountain bikes and obese people?

mtbr member
    I wasn't implying to ban more foods restrict foods and pass a ton of legeslation. I just think that the gov should be discouraging certain stuff. like a higher tax on soda I think is a good idea. if people are gonna destroy there digestive tracks with acidic sugar substances we might as well make them pay more for it. I wouldn't want the gov banning certain food or products either. they wouldn't do that. I just think there should be more progams to encourage healthy eating and staying active. kids sitting around on social networks and watching tv is a problem. but then again it comes down to how they were raised and whether or not if there parents care how they spend there days.

but we should be worrying more about the debt and financial issues of this country more then obesity :P still worrying issue
    I would think the opposite. Rather than issue a punitive excise tax, how about tax relief's for those of us that are taking care of our bodies and therefore lessen our future tax burden for those that may eventually use more tax monies for health related problems as a result of THEIR decisions.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    I would think the opposite. Rather than issue a punitive excise tax, how about tax relief's for those of us that are taking care of our bodies and therefore lessen our future tax burden for those that may eventually use more tax monies for health related problems as a result of THEIR decisions.
    Bingo! lets even carry that over to health insurance, those who are more healthy should have a reduced rate due to less of a liability on the company insuring them, thus more money in our pocket to stimulate the economy through purchasing more mountain bike gear. I would be ok with taking some sort of physical exam to prove my fitness and health in order to get a lower deductible/premium.

shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post
    Are we still talking about mountain bikes and obese people?
    no. its a mtbr forum. we get off subject
    say no to kona

shredder
    how about we combine my idea and yours do both
    say no to kona

shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Bingo! lets even carry that over to health insurance, those who are more healthy should have a reduced rate due to less of a liability on the company insuring them, thus more money in our pocket to stimulate the economy through purchasing more mountain bike gear. I would be ok with taking some sort of physical exam to prove my fitness and health in order to get a lower deductible/premium.
    kinda like car insurance. women have lower rates cause they are less aggressive.
    say no to kona

tiny rider
    I tend to avoid these political topics, since we're not likely to convince each other to change too much. But every now an again, I want to play too

I think it is important to allow individuals to make informed choices.

If there is a role for government in the food industry (and I think there is), it's ensuring that people know what they are buying. Without labeling laws, you would be hard pressed to decide what and how much of anything you consume unless it comes from your own yard.

And since the market has done such a wonderful job of putting the cost of all long-term consequences onto the commons, I see merit in financially encouraging beneficial actions and discouraging harmful ones. We all suffer from air pollution, but the polluter benefits from not having to install the cleaner technologies. Obesity is an expense we all bear, insured or not, heavy or not. We shouldn't limit choices people have, but we can tax harmful ones, and support opening grocery stores in food deserts. We can also strive towards a sane farm policy.

But good on Colorado for staying relatively healthy. I like seeing the bike share program taking off in Denver and Boulder. I think we could use more bike lanes and public-transportation infrastructure. And we should absolutely shuttle with full face helmets up Enchanted Forest at night with lights blazing.

mtbr member
    how about we combine my idea and yours do both
    Looks like you's two could really create a benevolent dictatorship of the worst kind!

kinda like car insurance. women have lower rates cause they are less aggressive.
    It does not seem like you would accept a system like that? That system actually addresses personal accountability. You eat like crap, you pay more for insurance. You engage in risky behaviors, you pay more. You have 7 kids, you pay more, not get more tax breaks.

Beer Me!
    I know, if we require mandatory health checks every morning in front of a TV that is plugged into a government sponsored Wii type device called a telescreen, then we could monitor the entire populations health. We could call that section of the government the "ministry of love" since its such a wonderful thing, drink delicouse victory-gin, and be glad we are not one of the Proles.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer View Post
    And since the market has done such a wonderful job of putting the cost of all long-term consequences onto the commons, And we should absolutely shuttle with full face helmets up Enchanted Forest at night with lights blazing.
    phukkin whin
    odd days work best

friend of Apex

Keep teh gubment owt mey lives!

Laws and regulations will be ineffectual and serve to increase government intrusion into our lives...
    The current gov policy that favors cheap crap posing as food on every corner is an intrusion on my life.
    A tax on sugar water and candy bars would force some to make better decisions.

mtbr member
    The last time I checked salt is a major component to life. Not to mention, it makes food taste better and releases nutrients from food that would otherwise pass through our GI systems.

Americans are fat because they eat highly-processed (calorie dense--value-added, in industry parlence) foods, in too large of portions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    The last time I checked salt is a major component to life. Not to mention, it makes food taste better and releases nutrients from food that would otherwise pass through our GI systems.

Americans are fat because they eat highly-processed (calorie dense--value-added, in industry parlence) foods, in too large of portions.
    Whenever I go to a restaurant nowadays, I basically tell them to serve me half my meal and put the other half in a to-go box as no human should eat that amount of food. Either that or my girlfriend and I will order one item and tell them to bring it out on two plates...and even then it is sometimes too big. Don't get me started on how big "appetizers" are either.

My leg feels funny
    The current gov policy that favors cheap crap posing as food on every corner is an intrusion on my life.
    Why even bother with taxing said items when we're subsidizing the sweetener in them and have put a tariff on a sugar (which isn't necessarily healthy but recent studies have shown more of a chance of weight gain with fructose).

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/a.../S26/91/22K07/

I'm probably playing with a hornets nest here but seriously an easy answer that would make a significant impact on the US health is to end corn/soy subsidies. We'd pay more for food but IMO we'd pay less for doctor bills.

mtbr member
    Not really but...
    Two wrongs do not make a right!

friend of Apex
    Not really but...
    Money is the bottom line, really. Either tax the crap, or stop subsidizing the ingredients. The former has a better chance of targeting the right audience.

Two wrongs do not make a right!
    My mama used to tell me this about fighting on the playground. A poor fit for this case, especially since you forgot the third wrong. Everyone pays for the obesity epidemic.

mtbr member
    Money is the bottom line, really. Either tax the crap, or stop subsidizing the ingredients. The former has a better chance of targeting the right audience.

My mama used to tell me this about fighting on the playground. A poor fit for this case, especially since you forgot the third wrong. Everyone pays for the obesity epidemic.
    Maybe we should just tax fat people...

friend of Apex
    Winner!

banned
    Whenever I go to a restaurant nowadays, I basically tell them to serve me half my meal and put the other half in a to-go box as no human should eat that amount of food. Either that or my girlfriend and I will order one item and tell them to bring it out on two plates...and even then it is sometimes too big. Don't get me started on how big "appetizers" are either.
    not everyone on this forum is of "normal" human proportions

banned

i'm on board with that, or something along those lines.

cigarettes (and cigars/chew) are taxed at $1-$2 per pack because thanks to science everyone knows they kill you slowly and put a giant burden on society to foot the medical bill.

the only people up in arms about that tax are pack a day smokers who don't have enough will power to quit.

a diet of egg mcmuffins, lays potato chips, frosties and 1/2 lb fast food burgers is no different.
    actually kills you faster since i believe obesity and thus heart disease is the #1 killer in the US. not to mention crappy food has been shown to be addictive. that much different from cigarettes.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    i'm on board with that, or something along those lines.

My friend. Taxes are collected using the threat of violence(men with guns coming to your house to take you to jail). That's not a road we need to be going down in America. I could apply the same logic to gay male sex. Nobody forces them to ... you know...

I could apply the same logic to gay male sex.
    lawrence v. texas was only 8 years ago. it's not like this country's been that far off.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post

Lot's of things that are necessary for life are harmful in excess quantity. you can die from drinking too much water.

Americans do indeed eat way to too much manufactured food that corporate conglomerates are very good at selling, especially to children (start 'em young! Happy Meal anyone?). They have way too much of a lot of things that in correct proportion/moderation are healthy, or at least not harmful, including sodium.