MK_
    carpe mañana

High Country updates?

I've been gone for a few weeks on vacation. I've got a rare opportunity (these days) to devote my whole weekend to riding and I'm looking to get some miles in in the high country. I see Kenosha -> Breck is good to go.
    Any beta on Monarch? Commando Run? Steamboat? Durango?

TIA.

_Michael
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

youenjoymyself
    I rode Monarch this weekend. there were 3 snow banks to traverse on the initial crest climb, but they took just a minute to walk across. There are mud puddles here and there, one pretty big and wide that needs to be walked around - the rest are rideable and shallow.

Team Velveeta™

crest is coming along

Quote Originally Posted by wooph View Post
    I rode Monarch this weekend. there were 3 snow banks to traverse on the initial crest climb, but they took just a minute to walk across. There are mud puddles here and there, one pretty big and wide that needs to be walked around - the rest are rideable and shallow.
    I rode the Crest yesterday too. The second drift was a little treacherous. The steep backside was 12-15 feet high. I was trying to lower my bike down so that it wouldn't drop too far, then the snow gave way under me before I was ready and I wound up sliding down right behind my bike. Not a graceful landing, got a little muddy since I was moving pretty good when I hit the bottom. Luckily I avoided nutting myself on a pedal or something.

It's important to drop down as close to the trail as possible where you slide off those drifts. On that second one, it was a pretty steep and high place right over the trail.

That said, they are melting fast. It's warm warm warm up here now. They will be much smaller soon. If this weather holds by next weekend they'll be much less significant.

I rode through the middle of all the puddles. None of them are deep.

I started a little after 10 (I climbed up there from town, left my house at 6AM, got to Old Monarch Pass right around 10). I know people are giving it time, and the shuttle service has been slow getting started (not sure if they are even running yet), but I was still quite surprised at how few people were up there. I saw three hikers and no more than a dozen riders while I was riding it.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

youenjoymyself
    My wife and I took the shuttle - 8am on Saturday. both vans were at capacity.

I forgot about that second snow bank. leading up to it, we encountered a group of moto riders staring at it wondering what to do. they turned around and I figured that was it. next thing I know, here they come buzzing up over the top and around.

That drop down the face of the snow was quite steep. I couldn't get decent footing so I just slid down and braced for the landing. My wife coming behind on her rear slid right into my arms. A friendly moto rider helped us with the bikes. Thanks random moto dude!

Team Velveeta™

shame about those motos

Quote Originally Posted by wooph View Post
    ...I forgot about that second snow bank. leading up to it, we encountered a group of moto riders staring at it wondering what to do. they turned around and I figured that was it. next thing I know, here they come buzzing up over the top and around...
    I have lots of friends locally who twist throttles (many of whom also turn pedals). I have supported keeping them on the Crest Trail, even though it's been quite controversial in the last several years (when they were threatening to boot mt bikers off that bit of the CDNST the moto riders were definitely going to be off it too.

That's too bad about that group you saw. If they can't stay on the trail, they should not be riding the route. Once the USFS documents just a little more of that crap and they will be making that trail illegal for motos.

Same with us by the way--if they see peddly bike tracks in the new mud around the edges of the melting drifts, we get a huge black mark. And I've seen them, they are plain as day for years after they happen. Distinct enough that you can see the diff between moto track and mtb track.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Kenosho to Geoargia is perfect. No snow drifts. Hardley any puddles.

Erik

feel the Force
    rode Commando Run on Saturday. Lots of snow up Bowman's to the high point and back down to the saddle. From there is was great.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Same with us by the way--if they see peddly bike tracks in the new mud around the edges of the melting drifts, we get a huge black mark. And I've seen them, they are plain as day for years after they happen. Distinct enough that you can see the diff between moto track and mtb track.
    just as fragile as the crypto in the plateau desert

doofi will ruin it for all, unless those doofi get put on blast every time someone who cares sees them doofing out as they do(of)

misanthrope

Commando Run - Two Elk Conditions

Rode Vail Pass to Two Elk on Sunday 7/24. Still a bit of snow and soupy conditions on Bowman's Cutoff. Lots of down timber near top of the world.

We had planned to ride Two Elk to Minturn where our shuttle vehicle was parked, but my friend realized that he left the keys in the other car

As plan B, we descended two elk to the bike path on I70. Tons of down timber (15-20 dismounts), but otherwise is a fun, steep descent.

The climb back to the pass from the bottom of Two elk was not how we wanted to finish the day , but it was easier than riding back to the pass from Minturn.

mtbr member
    I rode Monarch this past Saturday. There were only 2 small snow sections on the initial trail that weren't bad at all (see photo). There were a few very small mud puddles on the rest of the trail, but nothing major. It's prime to ride. We had perfect weather. It was quite busy. This was my first time on the Crest. Amazing experience and got lots of great photos between all of us in the group.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails High Country updates?-33a.jpg  

Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    I rode Monarch this past Saturday. There were only 2 small snow sections on the initial trail that weren't bad at all (see photo). There were a few very small mud puddles on the rest of the trail, but nothing major. It's prime to ride. We had perfect weather. It was quite busy. This was my first time on the Crest. Amazing experience and got lots of great photos between all of us in the group.
    Hey, didn't I see you up there? Are you one of the dudes who finished about the same time as us (there were 7 of us, 4 guys and 3 girls)? Here's a pic of me from Saturday:

"If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    How's Searle/Kokomo Pass looking? Thinking of hitting that this weekend. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja View Post
    Hey, didn't I see you up there? Are you one of the dudes who finished about the same time as us (there were 7 of us, 4 guys and 3 girls)? Here's a pic of me from Saturday:
    Yep, definitely look familiar. I think we were leap-frogging each other all day. Great pic.

If you're the same group I'm thinking of, I talked to you guys at the end and asked you how your ride was as you were all huddling under the shade of the tree at the side of the road. I was definitely hurting a bit at the end of Rainbow, but the ride was worth it.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 07-27-2011 at 02:00 PM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

not actually bad :)
    pixelninja's group was easily recognizeable - one of the girls was his avatar.

Old Codger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Yep, definitely look familiar. I think we were leap-frogging each other all day. Great pic.

If you're the same group I'm thinking of, I talked to you guys at the end and asked you how your ride was as you were all huddling under the shade of the tree at the side of the road. I was definitely hurting a bit at the end of Rainbow, but the ride was worth it.
    Yeah, that was us! Awesome day for an awesome ride!
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Fooses is perfect, rode it today, didn't go through any snow....
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin