Addicted to Dirt

Hi Front Rangers

Another transplant from FL (originally from PR though). I was finally able to escape the vortex of suck and will be in the Denver area at the end of Jan.

I'm friends with mountaingoatepics and I will hopefully get to ride with some of you in the not too distant future. I like epic rides with lots of HAB, bikepacking, and other mountain sports.

See you on the trails

Luis

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post

I'm friends with mountaingoatepics - I like epic rides with lots of HAB,

Luis

Then your in the right place! welcome! i guess we'll be seeing you on the t.i.t.s. rides!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Light freak

Welcome!

Any friend of mountaingoatepics is a friend indeed

old skool newbie
    We should go ride the first couple of days you are in town. That way I can kick your arse before you get acclimated and then proceed to kick mine forever more.

welcome to the club

Addicted to Dirt
    Anybody have (or know of someone who has) a house/apartment for rent? The options are perplexing and apartment review sites are like mtbr on EPO. My work will be in downtown. But I would prefer to live closer to trails. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ps I did read the entire sticky up there and did a search... some good info.

edit: budget is $1200-$1300/month. Also my wife and I have 2 dogs...

Thread Terrorist
    There are houses for rent in the Golden area, along with Condos, etc. Golden is your best bet for trail access and Downtown access. Downtown is an easy 20min away, trails will be... well, between 1-min and 5min away, depending on how fast you can pinch it off in the morning..
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

It's time for a road trip
    Dec 2011
    I'll throw out another plug for santaheckler (Derek Hall). He's a realtor who lives in Golden, and at the very least he can point you in the right direction.

Addicted to Dirt
    A couple of quick questions, these are bike related, imagine that!

Currently have two mtbs, both hardtails, one SS, the other geared (but both can be set up geared or ss).

Are the trails so rough that I will end up with a FS eventually (allowing me to sell 1 bike before the move)? Or can the majority of riding be enjoyed on a hardtail or rigid? Looking at pics it's hard to judge, some of it looks real buff, some looks real gnarly. I'm a decent rider and not afraid to walk.

Also, what is the standard ss gearing for the local trails (29er, naturally)?

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008

Currently have two mtbs, both hardtails, one SS, the other geared (but both can be set up geared or ss).

Are the trails so rough that I will end up with a FS eventually (allowing me to sell 1 bike before the move)? Or can the majority of riding be enjoyed on a hardtail or rigid? Looking at pics it's hard to judge, some of it looks real buff, some looks real gnarly. I'm a decent rider and not afraid to walk.

That totally depends on your riding style and preferences. There are people that only ride rigid ss bikes on the same trails that I ride a 6" travel burly rig. I have a rigid ss, but hardly ride it on trails, but it's because I prefer a lot of Cush for floating over stuff. Others like a simpler ride.

I would recommend bringing your bikes as they are, riding a good range of trails, then decide if you want to change them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Do you like to mash or spin? Gearing can be anywhere from 32x18 to 32x21. I would suggest something easier to acclimate to the altitude and all the uphill grinds

mtbr member
    Good Move
    Welcome to Denver! For working downtown I'd check out places on the west side of town with easy access to I-70 and 6th Ave. We have 2 dogs as well and found that most apartments have policies that discourage pet ownership. We had good luck on craigslist though. Good luck.

We have a wide variety of trails that range from very rocky to more buffed out flowy stuff. I'd just wait until you're out here to decide.

mtbr member
    First, you should have moved to Limon. But if you are working downtown living in Golden will give you a reasonable commute and proximity to trails. I rented a townhouse in the Canyon Point Cottages complex in Golden. It was pretty nice and would fit your budget.

About full suspension; Like the others have said, you will find folks riding anything from full rigids to 6'' all mountain rigs on most trails. Its totally up to you. Personally I had some of my best seasons here on a hard tail. I now have a 5 1/2 inch bike. My advice is to not rush into a new bike. Instead demo lots of bikes on real trails. Some shops and manufacturers will have demo days in the Front Range in the spring. Also, I know I mention this a lot but I think its good advice, you are now only 6 hours from Moab. You should seriously consider attending Outer Bike in the fall if you are wondering about bikes.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Golden is definitely the closest to biking. And the commute isn't bad, but it IS a commute, and traffic can sometimes suck. An alternative is to live in a cool neighborhood on the west side of Denver, like the Highlands. No commute to speak of, 20 minutes to lots of biking, and a fun neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    One thing's for sure, you won't be in Florida anymore. And I mean that in a good way! Think: steep unending climbs at altitude as opposed to level wet rooty trails at sea level. Four seasons---with snow! No humidity or palmetto bugs!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Welcome ingluis. As stated, any friend of mge is a friend of ours... I'd just bring the bikes you have... ride and enjoy. Then you can test ride bikes from many shops in town if you get the urge to change it up.

Addicted to Dirt
    Thanks for all the advice... I'll just take what I have and decide out there.

mtbr member

Canyon Point

+1 for Canyon Point
    They are a little older units, but well kept and spacious. I lived there for 9 months. Had a dog and a cat. No issues...

Thanks for all the advice... I'll just take what I have and decide out there.
    And then Jeremy will have you on a Jet 9 in no time! he's converted what 4 people now.....no matter - my suggestion- fwiw- ride something "lightweight" because we push bikes- alot.

Look forward to riding!

the blog

Addicted to Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    And then Jeremy will have you on a Jet 9 in no time! he's converted what 4 people now.....no matter - my suggestion- fwiw- ride something "lightweight" because we push bikes- alot.

Look forward to riding!

Gotta admit I was a little surprised to see him go FS, since he was a long advocate of the steel backcountry hardtail. Guess CO has made him soft

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Gotta admit I was a little surprised to see him go FS, since he was a long advocate of the steel backcountry hardtail. Guess CO has made him soft
    CO softens almost everyone...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Golden is great, but to call it 20min from downtown denver is a stretch IMO. 20min on ramp-to-exit, maybe, but it can take 10min + just to get from i-70 to the middle of Downtown denver.

You might want to consider lakewood as it's sort of a midpoint between your work downtown. and the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles of pain View Post
    Golden is great, but to call it 20min from downtown denver is a stretch IMO. 20min on ramp-to-exit, maybe, but it can take 10min + just to get from i-70 to the middle of Downtown denver.

You might want to consider lakewood as it's sort of a midpoint between your work downtown. and the trails.
    Depends when you go in; I go in early and can get to the Wells Fargo building in 20 minutes going down 6th avenue easily. Some days a little longer, but rarely is it more than 30 minutes for me and I am in downtown Golden.

Addicted to Dirt
    Built my Nimble 9 again last night, I was considering selling it. Currently running Ardent 2.25 rear/Rampage front. I hope those are adequate for snowy trails! Oh and 32x21 while I acclimate (and for the 6 weeks of not riding getting ready for the move). I begin the long drive next Thurs... psyched!

Addicted to Dirt
    In Denver after a two day endurance driving session. Staying with friends for a couple of weeks but will rent a house in Lakewood. I should be settled and ready to ride in a few weeks. Need to pedal!

In Denver after a two day endurance driving session. Staying with friends for a couple of weeks but will rent a house in Lakewood. I should be settled and ready to ride in a few weeks. Need to pedal!
    we are heading out tomorrow am- if you want to get started early!

the blog