Thread: hey zrm

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

hey zrm

Still totally unrideable in your neck of the woods?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No, not at all. I'm starting to get some mountain bike miles in. I rode 27 miles yesterday but it wasn't that exciting. (French Gulch Climb Sally Barber, descend to Boreas Pass, back down to town via the Aspen tunnel) There is limited - compared to what's available in high summer - stuff to ride, but it's the sloppy time of year and you need to be mindful of where and how you ride. Trails on north aspects above 10,000' +- a few hundred feet still have snowy sections and above 10,500' on everything but SE -SW aspects it's full on mud season. Water is pouring out of the high country and in some places it pours onto the trails. The high alpine is still buried - the dust layer is under all the new snow from the last week above TL, but as soon as the brown snow re-emerges, the snow melt up there should accelerate. Overall though, I'd say there's better riding in the lower elevations right now. BV, Salida, Front range, maybe some lower stuff in the Eagle Valley will have more expansive options right now.

A week or two of warm sunny weather will make a big difference, but so far this year we haven't seen much of that. It's been a grey, chilly, and damp May/early June so far although yesterday (Wednesday) was the first day in a long time that the sun shone off and on in a while and it's bluebird this morning. Still chilly though, long sleeves and leg warmers weather for sure.

Moosehead
    zrm, thanks for the detailed update. similar grey/wet spring in winter park and denver, so must do similar route planning on steeper slopes, decomposed granite, and southwest facing pitches.

any suggestions for firecracker 50 training? would much appreciate route tips or any other insight. looks like it's all about altitude?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    A good chunk of the F50 course it still snowy and/or a mud pit. Like last year, we may be up Little french digging the trail out again this year so the entire course might not be ready till almost race day. OTOH, things can melt fast so who knows? Getting road miles at altitude will help with the acclamation issues. The F50 has a variety of types of climbing, from longish but not steep pavement/dirt (fast guys are going 12-14 MPH) to some rocky, steep granny gear grunts that aren't super long. Work on stamina and climbing and get some altitude work and you'll be fine. There is also a fair amount of big gear hammering stuff so you need to work on that.

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Work on stamina and climbing and get some altitude work and you'll be fine.
    Cool, I was worried about having to do stamina, climbing, and altitude work.....

Joking aside, thanks for the beta zrm. Hope you get the melt out soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Keystone Gulch still muddy, eh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    You riding this weekend?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    You riding this weekend?
    am I about to slay the work bathroom?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Don't know about the road, but I'll give it about 80% that the trails leading from Keystone Gulch rd to the CT are.

mtbr member
    am I about to slay the work bathroom?

How did this work out for you?