Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Back in the saddle

Smile Here's what your bike does in slow motion

Michaud Trail, where it connects from the Foothills Trail. Slowed down the film to frame-by-frame. You wouldn't believe what you and your bike does when going over tricky terrain. Check it out:

http://vimeo.com/22726982

Short video, 2.5 minutes. Look for the disturbing amount of flexing in the fork and frame on the second half of the video.

I'm with stupid
    that fork flex slow down was nuts.

Inflexable...
    Fox 40...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

I think I can.

Looks like a Marzochi Bomber 140

See what your saying about the fork, did you check you head set? Couldn't tell if the motion transfered to your hands.

Also looks like that fork is soft, that thing is diving way too easy. Looks like you a big guy, maybe a little more spring or air would help, just a suggestion.

Have a good day.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    It coulda been the bar ends making it look like that
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

!Vamos, flaco!
    Good illustration of why suspension is cheating.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Living the High Life
    He should lower the seat and go faster.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

rr
    I don't do PC
    That's what I was thinking, get the ole rear end back but the saddle is in the way. Frame looks a little small as well and man that 90's bar setup is scary

Time for an upgrade dude, that poor 6 year old alum frame is gonna cry uncle under your clydeness at the worst time

i like rocks
    he didn't make that look easy, he made that look like a near miss of the OTB.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Yuck.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford
    he didn't make that look easy, he made that look like a near miss of the OTB.
    Good point.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    I don't get it. All I can see is a standard trail ride, some of it in slow motion. Nothing exciting nor dangerous. The fork is compressing - but that is good. Almost all travel is used - that is good, too. Don't see the flex at all. The changing background plus the well working fork might hide it for me - or make others believe to see it. I don't know. Just don't see it.
    Seat down and faster is a comment I support.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Back in the saddle
    Thanks for the advice, join me on this ride and do it faster. I dare you.

It's a Marzocchi All-Mountain SL, 150mm. I am happy with the sag and the travel. It's set up correctly. I agree the frame will probably give out some day, but it's hanging in there for now.

I like the bar ends. I can't get away from them for some reason. The weight transfer and extra leverage in climbing is nice for a big guy like me. I can get over anything climbing or descending, so overall, I dig the equipment. Though I do agree the frame is too small. Maybe if I had a bigger frame, the geometry would work better and I wouldn't need the ends. Who knows. I'll find out someday when I can afford a new bike.

Kaba, you are right. standard trail ride for me too, I just posted this because I thought the slo-mo was interesting, and I see 1 out of every 10 or so riders even attempt this feature. Thought the guys that haven't tried it yet might like to see the line and how to ride it. I do lower the seat on difficult trails.

Love the comments, keep 'em coming!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Last edited by Tempest3070; 09-16-2014 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by pippinr
    Love the comments, keep 'em coming!
    Since you asked, try some wider bars and run your brake levers farther inboard so you don't 2 finger brake, more control better braking. You looked on the edge of an OTB there at least in the 1st clip, your position is forward somewhat due to your setup and the saddle extended.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Since you asked, try some wider bars and run your brake levers farther inboard so you don't 2 finger brake, more control better braking. You looked on the edge of an OTB there at least in the 1st clip, your position is forward somewhat due to your setup and the saddle extended.

+ elbows out, upper body lower. Your fork is only compressing that much because you aren't following the terrain very well with your body.

I heart the drops
    Yeah something got to give if your body is stiff then thebike will give or better yet buck you any chance it gets. Loosen up point elbows out let your body suck the bike towards it and push it out in the end.
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

Living the High Life
    For folks looking for advice slow motion shots seem like a great idea. I think I'm going to use this idea for myself. Have a friend video me, watch it in slow motion and see what I'm doing wrong.

And I'm sure Klaus would take you up on that dare. From what I've seen he does not suck on pretty much any bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Back in the saddle
    Sweet... I'd love to ride with Klaus!

The reason you can't ride it faster is that it has a 90 degree turn right before the first stair, and a 90 degree turn at the bottom (you just can't see it in the video). I'd ride it faster if it was straight. Though a fun trail, it's really the only challenge. Everything else is super-fast gravel and small ledges. Fun, but not challenging.

Trust me, no worries of going over the bars the way I ride that feature. I'm loose enough and I'm following the contour of the terrain just fine, just looks that way in slo-mo. I thought I was going over the bars the first time I saw it slow. I don't endo on stuff like that. That is good advice, though. I give it all the time... Ha!

I'm going to do some work on some trails up the Poudre Canyon here in the next couple weeks, probably Hewlett and Young Gulch. Some good stuff up there. By the end of the summer, I want to document trail features on all the main NoCo trails. Hitting Horsetooth Mountain Park and Mill Creek soon. Anyone want to ride along? I'll film you too. I'll post, and we'll meet. I'm down for any ride.

Klaus, Klaus, Klaus (trying to summon like Beetlejuice)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Last edited by Tempest3070; 09-16-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Back in the saddle
    Good point on the video going up. I'll have to get up there and film that too. I ride the loop counter-clockwise, so I usually end up going down that portion of the trail. I do have video of Maxwell and Shoreline somewhere on this list. Some of it has me going up some ledges etc. Nothing impressive, just documenting.

Thanks for the tip on (Klaus). I'll hopefully find him on the trail some day. Mysterious.

mtbr member
    I think we should do a TPK ride. Sunday?
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by pippinr
    The reason you can't ride it faster is that it has a 90 degree turn right before the first stair, and a 90 degree turn at the bottom (you just can't see it in the video). I'd ride it faster if it was straight.
    You should watch some DH videos. Seriously, this is how you ride tech.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast