Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Back in the saddle

Smile Here's what your bike does in slow motion

Michaud Trail, where it connects from the Foothills Trail. Slowed down the film to frame-by-frame. You wouldn't believe what you and your bike does when going over tricky terrain. Check it out:

Short video, 2.5 minutes. Look for the disturbing amount of flexing in the fork and frame on the second half of the video.

I'm with stupid
    that fork flex slow down was nuts.

Inflexable...
    Fox 40...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

I think I can.

Looks like a Marzochi Bomber 140

See what your saying about the fork, did you check you head set? Couldn't tell if the motion transfered to your hands.

Also looks like that fork is soft, that thing is diving way too easy. Looks like you a big guy, maybe a little more spring or air would help, just a suggestion.

Have a good day.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    It coulda been the bar ends making it look like that
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

!Vamos, flaco!
    Good illustration of why suspension is cheating.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Living the High Life
    He should lower the seat and go faster.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

rr
    I don't do PC
    That's what I was thinking, get the ole rear end back but the saddle is in the way. Frame looks a little small as well and man that 90's bar setup is scary

Time for an upgrade dude, that poor 6 year old alum frame is gonna cry uncle under your clydeness at the worst time

i like rocks
    he didn't make that look easy, he made that look like a near miss of the OTB.
    Tim M Hovey

TBC Bottlerocket
    TBC Blindside
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Yuck.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford
    he didn't make that look easy, he made that look like a near miss of the OTB.
    Good point.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    I don't get it. All I can see is a standard trail ride, some of it in slow motion. Nothing exciting nor dangerous. The fork is compressing - but that is good. Almost all travel is used - that is good, too. Don't see the flex at all. The changing background plus the well working fork might hide it for me - or make others believe to see it. I don't know. Just don't see it.
    Seat down and faster is a comment I support.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Back in the saddle
    Thanks for the advice, join me on this ride and do it faster. I dare you.

It's a Marzocchi All-Mountain SL, 150mm. I am happy with the sag and the travel. It's set up correctly. I agree the frame will probably give out some day, but it's hanging in there for now.

I like the bar ends. I can't get away from them for some reason. The weight transfer and extra leverage in climbing is nice for a big guy like me. I can get over anything climbing or descending, so overall, I dig the equipment. Though I do agree the frame is too small. Maybe if I had a bigger frame, the geometry would work better and I wouldn't need the ends. Who knows. I'll find out someday when I can afford a new bike.

Kaba, you are right. standard trail ride for me too, I just posted this because I thought the slo-mo was interesting, and I see 1 out of every 10 or so riders even attempt this feature. Thought the guys that haven't tried it yet might like to see the line and how to ride it. I do lower the seat on difficult trails.

Love the comments, keep 'em coming!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Last edited by Tempest3070; 09-16-2014 at 06:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by pippinr
    Love the comments, keep 'em coming!
    Since you asked, try some wider bars and run your brake levers farther inboard so you don't 2 finger brake, more control better braking. You looked on the edge of an OTB there at least in the 1st clip, your position is forward somewhat due to your setup and the saddle extended.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Since you asked, try some wider bars and run your brake levers farther inboard so you don't 2 finger brake, more control better braking. You looked on the edge of an OTB there at least in the 1st clip, your position is forward somewhat due to your setup and the saddle extended.

+ elbows out, upper body lower. Your fork is only compressing that much because you aren't following the terrain very well with your body.

I heart the drops
    Yeah something got to give if your body is stiff then thebike will give or better yet buck you any chance it gets. Loosen up point elbows out let your body suck the bike towards it and push it out in the end.
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

Living the High Life
    For folks looking for advice slow motion shots seem like a great idea. I think I'm going to use this idea for myself. Have a friend video me, watch it in slow motion and see what I'm doing wrong.

And I'm sure Klaus would take you up on that dare. From what I've seen he does not suck on pretty much any bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Back in the saddle
    Sweet... I'd love to ride with Klaus!

The reason you can't ride it faster is that it has a 90 degree turn right before the first stair, and a 90 degree turn at the bottom (you just can't see it in the video). I'd ride it faster if it was straight. Though a fun trail, it's really the only challenge. Everything else is super-fast gravel and small ledges. Fun, but not challenging.

Trust me, no worries of going over the bars the way I ride that feature. I'm loose enough and I'm following the contour of the terrain just fine, just looks that way in slo-mo. I thought I was going over the bars the first time I saw it slow. I don't endo on stuff like that. That is good advice, though. I give it all the time... Ha!

I'm going to do some work on some trails up the Poudre Canyon here in the next couple weeks, probably Hewlett and Young Gulch. Some good stuff up there. By the end of the summer, I want to document trail features on all the main NoCo trails. Hitting Horsetooth Mountain Park and Mill Creek soon. Anyone want to ride along? I'll film you too. I'll post, and we'll meet. I'm down for any ride.

Klaus, Klaus, Klaus (trying to summon like Beetlejuice)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Last edited by Tempest3070; 09-16-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Back in the saddle
    Good point on the video going up. I'll have to get up there and film that too. I ride the loop counter-clockwise, so I usually end up going down that portion of the trail. I do have video of Maxwell and Shoreline somewhere on this list. Some of it has me going up some ledges etc. Nothing impressive, just documenting.

Thanks for the tip on (Klaus). I'll hopefully find him on the trail some day. Mysterious.

mtbr member
    I think we should do a TPK ride. Sunday?

Living the High Life
    The reason you can't ride it faster is that it has a 90 degree turn right before the first stair, and a 90 degree turn at the bottom (you just can't see it in the video). I'd ride it faster if it was straight.
    You should watch some DH videos. Seriously, this is how you ride tech.

eci
    Michaud Trail, where it connects from the Foothills Trail. Slowed down the film to frame-by-frame. You wouldn't believe what you and your bike does when going over tricky terrain. Check it out:

Short video, 2.5 minutes. Look for the disturbing amount of flexing in the fork and frame on the second half of the video.
    Please go to www.leelikesbikes.com and take one of Lee's courses

Living the High Life
    You know, this guy picked some great music.

And dude, you should change your screen name to Super-Clyde like in your video. I liked that. No joke, if you want some pointers at the resorts this summer hit me up. Not that I'm fantastic or anything, but hey we can ride.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    That was painful to watch...

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    You know, this guy picked some great music.

And dude, you should change your screen name to Super-Clyde like in your video. I liked that. No joke, if you want some pointers at the resorts this summer hit me up. Not that I'm fantastic or anything, but hey we can ride.

Matt you are super fantastico! i want to learn some xc skills from ya!

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Matt you are super fantastico! i want to learn some xc skills from ya!
    Dude, if I taught you XC skillzzzzz you'd never use them.

And EF you buddy.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Nice video. That flex is there in every bike to more or less extent.

If you've been watching MTB tech over the past 2 years, you see what's happening. Travel and suspension are about tapped, as is weight. The current frontier that every manufacturer is chasing is how can I make my bike stiffer. Check the tapered headtubes, the 142mm rear ends and 15mm or 20mm axles. The bikes are not getting lighter, just staying the same weight but way stiffer. If you look at most of the carbon bikes coming out now, they are not much lighter than their allium counterparts, they could be, but instead they are waaay stiffer. Look at the Giant Trance X Adv vs the Giant Trance X. the alloy one is waay stiff, and the carbon one is just a few grams lighter, but even waaay stiffer. When riding them you can really go faster, more confidently and rally the trails better on the stiffer bike. The same thing is true for the new Mojo HD and Mojo SL-R from Ibis, the new Kona's and most of the other manufacturers

In my mind, it's awesome, makes us all better riders. waaay better (last waay I promise

the same thing is going on in Road too..
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust in garage

Back in the saddle
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Please go to www.leelikesbikes.com and take one of Lee's courses
    Thanks for the tip. That page is funny.

That DH video looks like the last time I rode Trestle, except I didn't fall.

...and I was on a hard tail.

Just kidding.

Seriously, I'd love to ride the resorts again this summer. There's a couple guys I usually ride with, and you're welcome to come along!. Next time I'll rent a DH bike and have a GOOD time. Hitting the table tops and big hits on the hard tail took it out of me last time. I want the big bike this time. I do prefer natural trails and natural features to the created trails up there though.

Love the discussion.

Where's the best DH in NoCo/Wyo for you guys? I like Mill Creek down to Lory. I like going down Young Gulch. There's a tricky longer downhill on the last part of the loop at the top of Hewlett Gulch that needs to be rebuilt... steep, baby's heads, loose ledges & rocks etc. That's fun, but the rest of the trail is a cakewalk. There's just not that much exciting stuff that's gonzo up here. Gowdy is has some good stuff, mostly all-mtn stuff, but totally a blast.

Back in the saddle
    Kaj,

I can dig the stiffness thing. When I bought my first moly bike, I couldn't believe how stiff it was... huge difference. Then again when I moved up to aluminum. Almost no flex at all, compared to the moly bike. I could rock just about anything.

Looking at the Remedy and Reign. Both have tapered steer tubes, through axles. They do both come with a Fox 32 though. I would want at least a 36, and probably need to research more to see what else is out there. I'm not much of a gear freak. I can fix it, rebuild it, whatever, but I'm not up to speed on current trends of design and what the new coolness is.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Kaj,
    Looking at the Remedy and Reign. Both have tapered steer tubes, through axles. They do both come with a Fox 32 though. I would want at least a 36, and probably need to research more to see what else is out there. I'm not much of a gear freak. I can fix it, rebuild it, whatever, but I'm not up to speed on current trends of design and what the new coolness is.
    For a bigger guy the Scratch or Reign X might be worth looking at, they come with a Fox 36. The Remedy can be used with a 36 spaced down to 150mm and still keep the warranty, but it's only a 6.5 lb frame with the shock. I'm 200 lbs and my '09 Remedy has been great, it is very stiff for it's weight, but the Scratch is a much heavier duty frame for another lb.

holding back the darkness
    Looks to me like you're riding with a heavy front brake, and your front wheel skips around. Less front brake, more roll.
    **** censorship

slow
    I've been over the bars on that feature a couple of times. Approach makes it a challenge.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    For ultimate stiffness and a 160mm fork you want a Reign X, or Ibis Mojo HD

Reign X

Mojo HD

or the Kona Stinky TL for the more budget conscious:

Stinky TL

all 3 are trail eating machines. You're thinking of going big from the hardtail. I like the plan

there are others, but since we don't sell them they are not as good
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust in garage

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    I've been over the bars on that feature a couple of times. Approach makes it a challenge.
    No doubt, the video smooths that out quite a bit. It is no DH/full-face/padded-up feature, but when you run out of that blind corner, you take notice. OP is right, I've seen quite a few walking that section.

Ps; To everybody else here; fux sake, you'd think you all were sponsored DH or trials riders. Give the guy a break.

But that bike does look kiddie like under you. Maybe some big wheels next upgrade

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is that a Giant NRS XTC??? If so, man those bikes sure could take a beating.........I remember riding the bike on nasty trails that it had no business being on and was shocked at how much abuse it could take......I finally retired the bike when I maxed out the amout of travel I could put up front.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is that a Giant NRS XTC??? If so, man those bikes sure could take a beating.........I remember riding the bike on nasty trails that it had no business being on and was shocked at how much abuse it could take......I finally retired the bike when I maxed out the amout of travel I could put up front.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Ps; To everybody else here; fux sake, you'd think you all were sponsored DH or trials riders. Give the guy a break.
    I kind off agree. And my offer for a joint ride is still on. Super-Clyde is a cool nick name, btw.

Back in the saddle
    It's a Giant Rainier... a step below the XTC. XTC was lighter weight and didn't come with disk brakes. The reason I got the Rainier was because it was burly, had Avid disks and a decent Marzocchi fork when Marzocchi still made good forks. Should have gotten the 19 instead of the 17, though. I liked smaller bikes back then. Bad choice. Obviously upgraded the fork too.

Links:

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.ph.../ppuser/539428

Back in the saddle
    Ha! forgot about the dishes in the background and the Kokopelli rug under the bike. What can I say, I like to cook and it was after dinner when I took the pix.

I might be doing Bobcat tomorrow afternoon if it's clean & clear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I won't comment on your riding because I'm hardly a pro, but claiming a section of trail can't be ridden any faster? Are you confident that you're using proper technique including weight distribution, braking technique, weighting into the corners, and unweighting into the tech? If you can't say "yes" to this then it probably can be ridden faster...by you!

mtbr member
    I might be doing Bobcat tomorrow afternoon if it's clean & clear.
    Free all afternoon. Tired from yesterday, but itching to ride. Post when you want to go and ride. We could meet at JJs and carpool.

Will head out at 2pm and ride something - unless I hear from you.

Back in the saddle
    Quote Originally Posted by hypokondriak
    I won't comment on your riding because I'm hardly a pro, but claiming a section of trail can't be ridden any faster? Are you confident that you're using proper technique including weight distribution, braking technique, weighting into the corners, and unweighting into the tech? If you can't say "yes" to this then it probably can be ridden faster...by you!

Um. Yeah. I'm pretty confident I am using proper technique including weight distribution, braking technique, weighting into the corners and unweighting into the tech.

Otherwise, I'd be over the bars, getting snakebites, bending rims, and eating s**t constantly, knocking out my teeth and making me have to use those "Billy Bob" teeth pick the prickly pear needles out of my tires when I run off the trail after missing the switchback.

There might be bruises too. I hate bruises. That's why I don't fall anymore.

You know, I guess it *could* be ridden faster if I had a 7" travel DH bike.

Maybe if I had packed my full-face helmet, full body armor, and had gone ahead and pumped my tires up to 70psi, "...and dropped my seat", I would have ridden it faster.

Or maybe, just maybe, my video worked. Maybe I did made it look pretty darned easy for all the comments on this thread. Don't get me wrong, I love being ribbed a bit (why I posted the video). I am a glutton for punishment. That's why I do what I do at my size. Let's go ride.

The main problem is that you can't get a run at it. If it were on a straight section of trail, I'd jump the whole d*mned thing and avoid the bumps all together. Wouldn't make for a very interesting slo-mo film though, or discussion!

Here's a call out: Everyone post a video of yourself riding this feature. It's super-easy to get to, and there's lots of fun stuff around it. Great after-work ride. I can give you directions if you need 'em.

Maybe I'll come up with a fabulous prize (beer?) for the person that rides that feature the fastest, or craziest, or in the best costume.. whatever. I'd love to get something like that going. Also, let me know where your favorite speed ride or tech feature, or speed-tech ride-feature is in NoCo, and I'll get film of myself riding it. I want to document the cool stuff around here. The goal is to show new riders that the can clear harder stuff if they try. If a big guy like me can do it, anyone should be able to, right?

I have a camera, so if any of you want video of you riding your favorite feature, let me know, we'll ride, I'll film it and send it to you. I like using the stationary camera because you can see the terrain. GoPro is AWESOME, but you really can't see the stuff you are riding. I think a combo of the two would be perfect.

Sorry I didn't make it out this afternoon. Had plans to, but had a gig last night and this morning and ended up working on the yard & other crap while there was a break in the weather. Had to get the sprinkler system up and going. Bobcat is on the list this week when it dries out. Looking for that bounty from 34.

Sorry for the long post.

~later.

holding back the darkness
    Wow. Nevermind.
    **** censorship

I heart the drops
    Or maybe, just maybe, my video worked. Maybe I did made it look pretty darned easy for all the comments on this thread. Don't get me wrong, I love being ribbed a bit (why I posted the video). I am a glutton for punishment. That's why I do what I do at my size. Let's go ride.

The main problem is that you can't get a run at it. If it were on a straight section of trail, I'd jump the whole d*mned thing and avoid the bumps all together. Wouldn't make for a very interesting slo-mo film though, or discussion!

Here's a call out: Everyone post a video of yourself riding this feature. It's super-easy to get to, and there's lots of fun stuff around it. Great after-work ride. I can give you directions if you need 'em.

Maybe I'll come up with a fabulous prize (beer?) for the person that rides that feature the fastest, or craziest, or in the best costume.. whatever. I'd love to get something like that going. Also, let me know where your favorite speed ride or tech feature, or speed-tech ride-feature is in NoCo, and I'll get film of myself riding it. I want to document the cool stuff around here. The goal is to show new riders that the can clear harder stuff if they try. If a big guy like me can do it, anyone should be able to, right?

I have a camera, so if any of you want video of you riding your favorite feature, let me know, we'll ride, I'll film it and send it to you. I like using the stationary camera because you can see the terrain. GoPro is AWESOME, but you really can't see the stuff you are riding. I think a combo of the two would be perfect.

Sorry I didn't make it out this afternoon. Had plans to, but had a gig last night and this morning and ended up working on the yard & other crap while there was a break in the weather. Had to get the sprinkler system up and going. Bobcat is on the list this week when it dries out. Looking for that bounty from 34.

Sorry for the long post.

~later.
    I will take you up on the challenge and I will bring my 6.5" all mountain bike and my hardtail DJ bike. you can film and I will drink the beer after.
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

eci
    Um. Yeah. I'm pretty confident I am using proper technique including weight distribution, braking technique, weighting into the corners and unweighting into the tech.

Otherwise, I'd be over the bars, getting snakebites, bending rims, and eating s**t constantly, knocking out my teeth and making me have to use those "Billy Bob" teeth pick the prickly pear needles out of my tires when I run off the trail after missing the switchback.

Sorry for the long post.

~later.
    Yeah... www.leelikesbikes.com Take the full course...

Custom User Title
    Actually Rob is a pretty solid rider. For being a big guy on a little bike he will deffinately suprise you with what he can and will ride.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast