mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Help save Crested Butte Singletrack - your comments will help!

Can you take 5 minutes to cut and paste this petition to preserve our singletrack in Crested Butte and Gunnnison? Comments are due on August 31st. Copy and paste the form below – email to: r2_gmug_gunnison_travel@fs.fed.us
    Feel free to customize or add your own comments, but the more similar requests we send in for the same mountain bike trails, the better, they tally how many "votes" come in for requesting the same trail use, the better. Right now we are loosing ground for bikes, as the motorized and ATV community is very well organized.

Comments on the Proposed Gunnison National Forest Plan
    Saving Singletrack for Mountain Bikes
    Name; __________________________________________________
    Email address:__________________________________________ __

General Comments:

1. Gunnison National Forest is not in balance – only 13% of trails are non-motorized, while 87% are motorized. Many National Forests - such as Arapahoe, Pikes/San Isabel, and Rio Grande, provide over 49% non-motorized trails, and some have up to 70% non-motorized. Hikers have approximately 450 miles of trails in wilderness; bikes about 80 miles, and motorized users have around 550 miles. We seek a balance for all users, and to assist in balancing uses for motorized and non-motorized.
    2. A growing scientific consensus has shown that impacts of mountain biking are similar to hiking, and have less impact than horse or OHV/motorized use (Marion and Wimpey, 2007).
    3. The IMBA/Forest Service ‘Memorandum of Understanding’ states mountain bicycling should be managed distinctly from motorized travel. It also says mountain bicycling is appropriate in areas listed as "primitive" on the Recreation Opportunity Spectrum. The National Trails Act of 1983 should be allowed to supercede internal agency documents.

Proposed Forest Travel Plan – proposals that need adjustment:
    - Farris Creek and 402 should NOT be closed to mountain bikes, as suggested, but should be non-motorized to protect wetland damage.
    - Green Lake Trail/Baxter’s Gulch should NOT be closed to mountain bikes, as proposed, being that it is the only climbing single track loop out of town, and has prescriptive easement/historic use.
    -Non-motorized trails should be available in CB South, since there are currently NONE. The Homestead trail next to Cement Creek Road should not be newly closed to bikes. Reno/flag/bear should be non-motorized to avoid collisions and degradation of this famous tourist bicycling trail, leaving Roaring Judy and Rosebud and Julie Andrews (553) as motorized. Also, a single link from Cement to Brush creek that is non-motorized should be provided - 409 1/2 (including the approach on Walrod Gulch 412 and Walrod Spur 405.2A, including 405.3A) since the wet areas are getting torn up badly by motorized users, and motorized users could use the alternate route 409. A good short (1.5 mile) non-motorized connecting link over Hunter Hill would be 583 – Crystal Peak Trail, since there are at least 7 other motorized route options over this Double Top/Hunter Hill area. The vast majority CB South Trails would still remain motorized in the Cement Creek area, but the growing metropolis would now have a few options to bike, horse ride, or hike with their kids.
    -A single non-motorized route should be available to Aspen, for tourists and locals alike, since there are currently NONE. Trail 400 makes the most sense, with the popular Friends Hut being on-route, and the fact that it is surrounded by many motorized options such as Pearl Pass, Schofield, Cement, Express Creek and Taylor Passes.

Proposed Forest Travel Plan - proposals that we support:
    - We support the plan for the non-motorizing of Strand, Strand Bonus, Canal, Doctors Park, The Caves Loop, Lily Lake, and The Crest Trail (The National Trails Act of 1983 should be allowed to supercede internal agency documents, keeping the Crest trail open to bicycles (16 USC 1246(j))).
    - Seasonal Closures for all users until 6/15 Doctors Park for wildlife, but not for Deer Creek, as a seasonal closure should not allow one quiet user group and not another (see IMBA/Forest Service “memorandum of Understanding and the user group impact study (Marion and Wimpey, 2007)
    - Closing miscellaneous/unused deadend logging roads.
    - Returning singletracks in Needle Creek and Sargents area into singletracks again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Agsnow, consider working with the atv folks, not against them. Take this plan to them, and get them to endorse the suggested alternates, etc. They are reasonable, nice folks in fact, and want to preserve their access as bad as we want ours. If they are powerful and have money, it is going to be nice to have allies in the fights we seem to have ahead of us (CTD Closure, USFS revamping their entire management plant, etc). The Divide and Conquer approach being used by the trail closure factions want exactly this - get the different groups to fight each other instead of uniting and coming up with a cohesive plan that works for everyone.

Remember, modern mountain biking is what, 25 years old. Most of our trails are there because of the motorized crowd, logging interests, hikers, and horse folks. Our mtb's have tons of technology that was developed and came from dirt bikes, baja 1000 suspensions, and atvs/snow machines.

Just an opinion - and no, I don't own atv's nor do I plan to, but I support responsible atv use in our forests too.

jon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Jon,
    I totally support your ideas - in fact it is key that we respect each other's ideas and support a similar plan. I am not a fan of divide and conquer, I just point out that there is an inequity of trails out there.
    cheers, and thanks for writing.
    Alison

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm from the front range - so not familiar with the situation in CB - but you can imagine the atv increase/damage we are getting in what the USFS calls the "urban interface". So many of the atv/4-wheeler/dirt bike guys are fantastic though, and talented enough to leave-no-trace when offroad and volunteer their time fixing trail. I've yet to see it work here - but I think for us to keep our trails we need to consider teaming up with all groups if at all possible.
    Keep at it Alison, and yes I will provide feedback in support of the CB trails.

jon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I will do what I can too. I will say that the atv clubs have come a long way in responsibility and behavior. Bad apples in any group make the whole look bad. Atv, motorcycles, snowmobiles. Sometimes ttrails are trails, and when they get shut down... but I can see trails set aside just for bikes where atvs coouldnt get through, or cause too much damage. The responsible clubs know that.

mtbr member
    Having just visited CB myself in July. I would hate to see any active trails closed to any type of users.
    With that said, I agree that we all need to be active and help share our ideas especially when it comes to a passion that is close to our hearts.

I'll be sending this out to some friends as well as doing what I can.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    roaddog - that was well put. I agree, responsible ATV clubs know when a trail is not well suited for motorized use of any sort, and are starting to act accordingly.

An interesting situation I was in this spring, attending the Pike/San Isable USFS meeting where they were soliciting input from the public. I sat at a table with a rancher (grazing permits), mtb's, a hiker, and two motorized types - one was a co-owner of Apex Motorsports here in Colorado Springs and rides motorcycles on trails. The other bought a 4-wheel Atv from Apex.

What was interesting is the owner of Apex was lamenting the disappearance of single track for motorcycles - not from closures - but from the ATV's widening them. So, here is a guy making a living selling Atv's which are largely responsible for the disapperance of single-track suited for motorcycles....

Just another data point,
    jon.