Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rider
    Jan 2005

Help planning a Colorado mtb trip please?

Looks like I'll be able to swing about 3 weeks in Colorado, not including drive time. Earliest I could be in state would be about the 20th of July. I'm hoping to ride as much high altitude singletrack nectar as possible. I'll be at least partially acclimatized from several days of riding up high in Tahoe and sleeping at 8k' plus before blasting across to the Rockies. Plenty of technical and climbing is fine. I'm an AM rider but would like to do a couple of days of lift assisted riding/shuttling if it gets me into some epic long trail rides that would not be possible without it. Car camping on FS/BLM land preferred, not a big fan of the typical established pay campground scene.

So any input on what rides are must do & great spots to camp would be very helpful.

What rig to bring: I'm debating between two 4x4's. The econo route (30mpg) would be to take my '85 Tercel wagon. It climbs like mad if ground clearance is not an issue. But I'm not adverse to spending the extra $350 or so to take my '86 full size Bronco (18 mpg highway) if it will get me into a bunch of nicer spots to camp/ride.

I guess I should also ask if my projected time frame might be good for alpine conditions given the big snow year out there.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

skillz to pay billz
    3 weeks? do it all!

I say leave the bronco at home and ride to the 'hard to get to' spots.

crested butte, durango, CT, sourdough/SSV, fruita, pueblo, keystone, winterpark/fraser. go nuts!

Living the High Life
    For Summit County, you won't need 4x4 for the summer let alone lots of ground clearance, so save the gas.

Keystone has great single track lift access, 2100 vertical feet or so in 1 run. Sol Vista has some great DH runs, but they're only a few minutes.

As far as pedaling single track, Winter Park (as far as I've been told from reliable sources) has great rides. The front range also has some awesome rides near Denver. Apex, Dakota ridge, in the foot hills near Evergreen3 sisters has lots of options.

On the other end of the state Fruita/Grand Junction has some great trails as well, I've been out there only once and hit 3 trails that were all cool.

Bianchimtb
    Jul 2007
    ride the colorado trail

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchimtb
    ride the colorado trail
    one line comments really help this guy plan a 3 week vacation

Bianchimtb
    Jul 2007
    that is an explanation in it self that would be an epic ride. i have never rode the colo trail trail but would love to. ~2 weeks of epic xc riding what else could you ask for??
    check out this ride we have down here in the springs:
    http://www.fotp.com/ringthepeak/
    it could easily be a two day ride lots of brutal climbs!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Hello from Oroville

Having moved from Denver to here a few years back, you are definitely traveling to the right place.

First, take the Tercel.

Second, you could blow the whole three weeks just driving from one destination to another, so I would pick three or four staging areas so you can relax between rides and not have to flog yourself going from one place to another.

By the way, think about stopping at Park City or the Cottonwood Canyons on the way out for a couple days of riding.

I would drive clockwise across Colorado. Stop in at Steamboat Springs, then east to WinterPark. Can shuttle both places if you want.

Drive south to Summit County with camping out of Breck or Keystone. Anything on the Colorado Trail from Leadville east to Denver is great. From there, head south to Salida and definitely, most definitely hit the Monarch Crest. Shuttle Vans should be available in Salida to get you to the Crest. This is a must do ride.

Then head west and hit Crested Butte, or just spend three weeks there, your choice.

End your trip by going to the Southwest corner and riding out of Purgatory (ok, not Purgatory anymore, but I like that name more) and Durango. The Colorado trail from Molas Pass to Cascade Creek and down to Purgatory is maybe my all time favorite ride. I never got to do Kennebec Pass, but have heard it might be better.

If you want to borrow all my Colorado Trails Illustrated maps, let me know, I can dig them.

Have a great time.

Bianchimtb
    Jul 2007
    here is the colorado tril link
    http://www.coloradotrail.org/
    http://www.coloradotrail.org/bike.html

Quote Originally Posted by bianchimtb
    that is an explanation in it self that would be an epic ride. i have never rode the colo trail trail but would love to. ~2 weeks of epic xc riding what else could you ask for??
    check out this ride we have down here in the springs:
    http://www.fotp.com/ringthepeak/
    it could easily be a two day ride lots of brutal climbs!

rider
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for all the replies.

The comment about blowing the trip just driving around the state hits home for sure.

Three weeks of riding in CB alone? Must be sweet...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Colo Trail?

How about the Colorado Trail?
    Here is a link to some riders that did the trip and documented it with writeups and pics:
    http://otbmbc.com/epics/2006-CT/index.shtml

At least this will give you an idea of some sections of the Colorado Trail that you may want to consider.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I like the suggestion of starting in Steamboat and riding clockwise.

Stop in Winter Park, stop in Breck/Keystone and ride the CT and its branches, ride Kenosha Pass, take a day sidetour and ride Buff Creek, then go to Salida to ride the Crest and Rainbow trails (I think the Crest proper is pretty overrated, but there are other options there). Then I'd go to Crested Butte. Then I'd go to Telluride and Durango.

skillz to pay billz
    I think you'd have to be pretty well ADD to do this. Most locations would only 5-6 hours max from each other. If you map things out and spend 4-5 days in each location you'd be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico

The comment about blowing the trip just driving around the state hits home for sure.

Three weeks of riding in CB alone? Must be sweet...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ^^^ This guy knows what he's talking about.

skillz to pay billz
    probably more like 1-2 hours from place to place if you plan well

thanks smmokan, I really don't much about all the riding in colorado other than what I've read. I'm pretty new still. I do know that if I had 3 weeks to goof around I could easily hit most of the rides on my must-do list.

holding back the darkness
    Monarch Crest trails. There are tons of them and Salida is an awesome town Pizza at Amica's is highly recommended. Rainbow for sure, Fooses creek is pretty flowy and fun to get you started. RenoBearFlag in Crested Butte. Oh and Fruita! Dude. You don't have enough time.
    Take the econo car... It'll get you where you need to get and you'll be able to ride the rest of the way.
    **** censorship

Just go ride!

Best of the CT

Here are what I consider the best 1 day rides of the Colorado Trail. Since they are point-to-point, you need a shuttle for most. For some, camping at midpoints and doing out-and-backs are viable as well. You'll probably need to consult the CT guidebook or website to figure out where some of these sections are.

1.) Silverton to Durango. Kick-ass scenery. A fair amount of hike-a-bike, and at 72 miles, an epic day in the saddle. Beautiful free camping on FS land in the middle (near Bolam Pass / Hotel Draw), for doing out-and-back rides. Might still be some snow drifts left in July.

2.) Kenosha Pass to Breckenridge. Probably the funnest riding on the whole CT coming into Breck! Mostly non-technical. 32 miles one-way. Free camping can be had on FS land where Swan Lake Road intersects the CT coming down from Georgia Pass. Really nice campsites right beside the creek there.

3.) Copper Mtn. to Tennessee Pass. More kick-ass high altitude riding. One short section of hike-a-bike getting to Searle Pass. Best done Copper to Tenn. direction, about ~25 miles, could return via pavement. Probably free camping around the old 10th Mtn. Army Camp Hale, but I've never done it.

4.) Wellington Lake Road to Waterton Canyon. Mostly downhill and non-technical, this section will put a huge smile on your face! ~40 miles one way. Never camped in this area, but it is mostly FS land, so I'm sure there are options.

5.) Spring Creek Pass to Carson Saddle. 95% above treeline, rocky and exposed meadow riding. 29" wheels helpful for sure! 1 big hike-a-bike. You can descend from Carson Saddle to Cinnamon Pass, and now there is a new reroute (Cateract Ridge) that I haven't done, but sounds incredible and tough! Pick a stable weather day to do this one, or you will get screwed! Many informal campsites along Cinnamon Pass, although you'd probably need your Bronco to go all the way over the Pass.

6.) Monarch Crest Section, of course!

7.) Avalanche TH to US-50. All below tree-line, but quite a bit of fun, rocky, technical riding and hard climbs. Some great Aspen groves too. Easy to start in the middle at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs. Free camping in large meadows near the Mt. Antero trailhead.

Have a great Summer!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sounds like we're all planning OUR summer vacation rides

All I have to add is, yes, keep your driving to a minimum. You could easily spend a week in CB and a week in Steamboat. Everyone sez bring the Tercel. Be honest, in what kind of shape is this '85 Tercel (a 23 year old four banger)? I would vote for the Bronco if they're in the same condition. Then at least you know you could truly 4-wheel somewhere if you wanted to. If you park your azz in one high elevation town, an off day might include a rocky road somewhere--in your Bronco.

I don't think anybody mentioned that middle of July is when most of all the highest elevation trails start opening up. Middle of August for sure, but you'll be fine. I think middle of July is when the wildflowers in CB are shoulder high. Must be seen to be believed! No flowers in this pic (late August) but it is Crested Butte:
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 06:11 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Man, I have to get back out to Colorado.

mtbr member

Sweet Summer Fantasy

Three weeks of mountain biking in Colorado's high country in late July! Man, I am jealous!
    Previous posts have lots of good advice. Let me add my two cents worth.

1. Use the Tercel. As long as you can fit all your gear in a small car, it will get you anywhere you need to go, and save you a bundle in fuel bills.

2. You have enough time to take a grand tour of the state without spending too much time behind the wheel. Best to concentrate on Crested Butte and Durango, though, which have the best trails and most incredible scenery in the state.
    * A day in Steamboat would be fun, but none of the trails there are in the epic category Check out "Steamboat Single Tracks: The Mountain Biking Guide to Steamboat Springs, Colorado" by Tom Barnhart. Good camping at Steamboat Lake State Park or free camping in the national forest anywhere north of Hahn's Peak.
    * There are over 600 miles of trails in the Fraser Valley near Winter Park, plus those at the ski resort. Most of these are fun, but nothing epic. If you want a day of downhilling at a ski resort, W.P. or Keystone are your best bets. Again, plenty of campgrounds in the area, plus a really nice & inexpensive hostel in Fraser.
    * The Monarch Crest Trail on US Hwy 50 west of Salida is definitely worth a stop. It is 31 miles of mostly downhill biking bliss. You start at 11600 feet with incredible views well above timberline and descend through dense forest, over talus slopes, along mountain streams, and end with a great rolling ride on the Rainbow Trail. Requires a shuttle. Lots of nice Forest Service campgrounds in the area. See "Colorado Campgrounds: The 100 Best And All The Rest" by Gil Folsom for a great guide.
    * Then Crested Butte, at last! You will be in C.B. at the height of the wildflower season, and it will be gorgeous. Give yourself several days to savor the 401, 409, Teocalli Ridge and other justly famous trails in the valley. "Mountain Bike Crested Butte, Gunnison & Salida Singletrack" by Holly Annala is a good reference. Surprisingly, there are very few campgrounds near C.B. Your best bet for camping is along the Taylor River 25-30 miles southeast of town.
    * From C.B., give yourself a day to enjoy the scenery on the drive to Durango. Take the long way through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, then tighten your seatbelt for the drive along US Hwy 550 from Ouray to Durango. With Durango as your base, plan to do several out & back rides on the last 72 miles of the Colorado Trail from Molas Pass to town. Absolutely breathtaking! "Bike" magazine had an inspiring photo essay on this area a few years back. "The Colorado Trail: The Official Guidebook" is a good resource. The Lightner Creek Campground just west of town on US Hwy 160 is highly recommended. If you are saddle sore, take a break and ride the Silverton & Durango narrow guage railroad or go tubing or rafting on the Animas River. Check out some pics of the area at www.RMBB.org.

3. Now for some "don'ts." Don't plan to ride Moab / Fruita / Grand Junction. This is a fabulous area, but way too hot in July. Don't bother with Telluride. It's a wonderful town with awesome scenery, but it is surrounded by Wilderness Areas and there is precious little singletrack open to biking. (Ditto for Aspen.)

* Finally, some friends and I plan to be in Tahoe July 19-26. Too bad our paths won't cross there. It would be fun to ride together. Have a wonderful trip!
    Last edited by lginzkey; 03-30-2008 at 09:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

don't limit yourself

I second Utah and even New Mexico. You could hit so much in 3 weeks. Utah has some great high altitude riding. Crested Butte is classic but I doubt more than 5 days is necessray to hit everything. Check out the Taos area. The NM forum will be full of suggestions for great rides and it is very close. In CO, all aforementioned areas, Durango, CB, Steamboat, Winter Park are full of great riding. You will not have to ride a single lift unless you want to DH.

Don't forget to bring gear for major temp variations. At elevation, mother nature's perception of summer can be quite different from our own but that is the beauty of the mountains. Be prepared to start higher altitude rides early to avoid inevitable summer storms and lightening, not to be confused with a warm summer shower.

Have fun!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed
    I second Utah and even New Mexico. You could hit so much in 3 weeks. Utah has some great high altitude riding. Crested Butte is classic but I doubt more than 5 days is necessray to hit everything.
    You need to get more creative, then.

skillz to pay billz
    if you happen to be driving thru aspen and need to stretch your legs hit government trail and the mushroom rock trail system off the highway across from carbondale

rider
    Jan 2005
    Wow, lots of good info. Thanks for all the great replies. Looks like I have my work cut out doing all the research on the stuff that you folks have pointed out.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lginzkey
    Three weeks of mountain biking in Colorado's high country in late July! Man, I am jealous!
    Previous posts have lots of good advice. Let me add my two cents worth.

* Finally, some friends and I plan to be in Tahoe July 19-26. Too bad our paths won't cross there. It would be fun to ride together. Have a wonderful trip!

Thanks for the detailed reply. I might be able to ride with your crew on the19th in Tahoe and then blast across the craton.

I may violate your #3 and try to ride in Fruita/GJ on the way out of the state. It should be a tad cooler by the 10th of August, I hope. Checked the temps and it only gets into the low 100's there max. No big as long as I get out on the trail early. Here in Chico, Norcal it can get well in to the 110+'s. That, coupled with the fact that I was denied my one day to ride in Fruita last year in early May by a buddy's need to chase some tail, makes me really want to check it out.

Cycling, FTW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lginzkey
    * A day in Steamboat would be fun, but none of the trails there are in the epic category
    I think a few people on here may have a different opinion on that statement.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast