mtbr member
    Jun 2008

HELP!! New to front range Trek Y5 or Iron Horse SGS Expert??

I'm purchasing my first real mountain bike. I'm 5`10" 155lbs and live in Denver. I just moved out here in February and am going to take up Mountain biking for my summer hobby. I've done some research and am really stoked to get this started. I have found 2 used bikes that I think would be good. My friends said find a good frame and you can upgrade as things break. I will be doing some down hill and i'm sure others but no super long cross country rides. Please help me figure out what I should buy... all suggestions help!!

1997 Trek Y5. No breaks in welds and shocks are good. Looks almost like new. I hear this is a oldy but good. Only draw back I see is you cant put disc brakes on back.
    Cost $325

Specifications of my Y5.
    Frame: 6061 Aluminium
    Rims: Matrix Swami
    Stem: Bontrager
    Bars: Bontrager Race 5
    Bar ends: Bontrager Race 6061
    Gearshifters: Gripshift 24 speed
    Mens: M
    Brake levers: Shimano Servo Wave Action
    Brakes: Shimano V

2003 Iron Horse SGS Expert. Heavy bike but will last long time. Needs new rear tire. Might be too small.
    Cost $525

EXTRAS: Includes 4 new downhill tubes, 2 new sets of brake pads

COMPONENTS

Frame: Small (should fit up to ~ 5’9”), FSR linkage geometry, 6 or 7” of rear travel

Fork: Manitou Sherman Breakout (6” travel) – top-mounted travel adjust with Rapid Travel II, TPC, 32 mm stanchions, evil semi-bath lubrication system, and Hex-Lock through axel
    Shock: Fox Racing Vanilla R (rebuilt by Fox with no mileage on it)
    Brakes: Hayes HFX-9-HD hydraulic disk with 8” rotors
    Crank: Truvativ Hussefelt freeride crank (38/28t)
    Stem: 1.5” Ringle Evolution
    Pedals: Wellgo B57 platform
    Handlebar: Easton EA30 riser
    Tires: 2.5 Maxxis Minion ST downhill with sticky rubber (front tire still has wear, but rear tire will need to be replaced)
    Rims: Mavic F219 disc, Formula hubs
    Shifters: Shimano LX
    R Derailleur: Shimano XT
    F Derailleur: Shimano LX

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    It sounds like you might be happier going with the Iron Horse. The Y bike was meant to be more of an XC bike when it came out, and while I haven't ridden one myself, I haven't heard very many favorable reviews and the one your are looking was pretty low end right off the showroom floor.

Have you considered a hardtail? You can get a lot of bang for your buck if you're willing to forgo rear suspension.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the info... I would go hardtail, if that would work better. Theres just so many bikes its hard to do so much research and i guess I just fell into researching suspension bikes. Any suggestions....

The Y bike had so many good reviews even with it being a 1997 I thought maybe I could upgrade it into being more of a down hill bike since its cheaper.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by neuler
    Thanks for the info... I would go hardtail, if that would work better. Theres just so many bikes its hard to do so much research and i guess I just fell into researching suspension bikes. Any suggestions....

The Y bike had so many good reviews even with it being a 1997 I thought maybe I could upgrade it into being more of a down hill bike since its cheaper.
    No offense, but you don't want to upgrade the Trek. The problem with full suspension frames is that they are constantly evolving - yes there are some older designs that are still "good", but these are more the exception than the rule (when you are talking about 11 y/o designs).

A few questions:

1. Will you be riding DH (lift-assisted - Keystone, etc...) exclusively, or do you intend to ride local trails (lots of climbing) too?

2. Have you ridden BMX / moto in the past?

3. What is the upper limit of your price range?
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    No offense, but you don't want to upgrade the Trek. The problem with full suspension frames is that they are constantly evolving - yes there are some older designs that are still "good", but these are more the exception than the rule (when you are talking about 11 y/o designs).

A few questions:

1. Will you be riding DH (lift-assisted - Keystone, etc...) exclusively, or do you intend to ride local trails (lots of climbing) too?

2. Have you ridden BMX / moto in the past?

3. What is the upper limit of your price range?
    Answers
    1. I plan doing both.

2.No

3.Wanted to stay around $500

I'm new to this... I'm 28 but very athletic so hopefully I will catch on fast. I had bikes when I was younger but grew up in NW Ohio. So it was as flat as it gets. Trying to figure out what would be best (so many bikes and options)?? My friends say the most important thing is a good frame, then you can upgrade when needed from there. I appreciate all the help I can get

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Tough to have one bike that can do DH and XC.

Problem with the Trek is that it is no DH bike and old technology to boot, even if it did have good reviews 11 years ago. If people reviewed today against a new bike, it wouldn't get good reviews.

Problem with the second one is that it is a DH bike and will be hell to pedal uphill or any XC capacity.

I'm thinking Specialized Enduro. This one's been on CL for a few weeks so is probably $100 overpriced.

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/700055415.html

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...+FSR&Type=bike

There might be a recall on it though, or it could be repaired already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks bsyp... you even did the shoppin for me! So maybe $500 would be a good buy. I'm now also looking into hardtails. At first I did all my research on suspension bikes and now i'm lookin into hardtails also. Check this link and let me know if these might be a better route than the Specialized. It's hard for a first time buyer to find the right bike for out here in Colorado.... the link is between a New IH Warrior and Trek 6700 disc
    Iron Horse Warrior 3.0 vs Trek 6700 disc

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Do NOT buy a Y bike! A friend of mine had one (a Y-33, so the high end $$$ one) in college and it was a TOTAL PIECE OF (fill in the blank). It bobbed like crazy on the climbs, yet it didn't feel good on the downhills. That bike scared me away from full suspention bikes for several years. The model you are looking at used a cheap fork and rear shock too, so it will have an even worse ride.

The Iron Horse looks like a decent bike, but I haven't ridden one. Component wise, it looks like a much better deal for the extra $200 over the Trek. It will be heavy, but it sounds like you're in good shape so that won't be as big of a deal.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'd still go with the Enduro if it's in good shape. Way better components on it and it's already fully depreciated ($2800 MSRP new). So if you ride it for another year and decide to get something else, you'll likely be able to sell it for about what you paid for it. The reviews are good on it too.

On the other hand, if you buy the IH, it'll only be worth 1/2 next year when you will FOR SURE want to replace it. But you'll immediately get upgrade-itis and spend hundreds more on a so-so bike. The Trek 6700 is a possibility, but it'll be a bit of a pain to get it built up. Does it come with a front wheel? If not, then definitely no dice.

If you don't know what you're looking at, make sure you take a buddy that does. It's not my fault if something is broken or the pivots are in need of replacement!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bsyp
    I'd still go with the Enduro if it's in good shape. Way better components on it and it's already fully depreciated ($2800 MSRP new). So if you ride it for another year and decide to get something else, you'll likely be able to sell it for about what you paid for it. The reviews are good on it too.

On the other hand, if you buy the IH, it'll only be worth 1/2 next year when you will FOR SURE want to replace it. But you'll immediately get upgrade-itis and spend hundreds more on a so-so bike. The Trek 6700 is a possibility, but it'll be a bit of a pain to get it built up. Does it come with a front wheel? If not, then definitely no dice.

If you don't know what you're looking at, make sure you take a buddy that does. It's not my fault if something is broken or the pivots are in need of replacement!
    I offered the guy $500 for the bike, you have made a great point.... I will want to upgrade and figure out what I really want to do with the bike. So it's like a free rental bike for a year if I want to sell. This makes the most sense... nice and thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    hey i want to buy your bike make it 475 and the money is yours

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    well i like *****

mtbr member
    FYI there was a early I'll say 99-01 model stumpjumper on CL for $275 looks to be in fine shape it is a LG.. Also for the money performance has some good buys
    mongoose teocali 5" travel pretty good bike for for the money i think they are on sale

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Here's another suggestion. What about a new Giant Yukon FX. It's $750, so an extra $250 than your buget, but it's new and the thing works. We used them as rentals this summer, and had no issues with them at all. Full warranty and when you upgrade in a few years, you'll get $300-400 or so back for selling it.

Giant is really the only bike company I've seen do an actual full suspension bike for under $1000. They can pull it off because they are the manufacturer of about 1/3 of all bikes sold even many for other well known brands.

final plug is that we have them in stock, of course.

edit--just saw this we a nice old post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP!! New to front range Trek Y5 or Iron Horse SGS Expert??-yukon_fx_.jpg  

Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member

Neither one

There has been enough said on the Y-Bike - R.I.P. As for the Iron Horse, the company is bankrupt and the assets were purchased by Dorel - the future of this brand is unknown, but insiders tell me that it is headed for department stores when it is reshaped.

Look for a used Giant, Specialized, or Trek - you will have much better luck getting parts when you need them.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am going to sound pretty harsh but the two bikes you originally picked out are probably two of the worst bikes you could buy, other than wal-mart huffy's.

Technology has completly changed in the last 10 years let alone the last 5.

That Y frame is trouble from the get go and the iron horse is an outdated bike that won't be capable of xc because of the bike geometry and weight and it would get destroyed if you took it to the lifts to ride DH.

I like your idea of trying to get into the sport on a budget but if you buy old cheaper stuff it might not take long to have another $500 into the bike from repairs. Not mention paying the mechanic keeping it up and running.

Like others have mentioned, you will be able to find a really nice HT with great components on CL this time of the year.
    Last edited by cbrock450; 12-04-2009 at 08:01 AM.

danaco
    Full Cycle has the right answer for you, I'll bet they would finance it for you too.

Fixed and single.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy stan
    well i like *****

You should check out a steel hardtail while your at it. Aluminum is harsh and steel last's longer.

-m

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Buy from a shop buddy. You don't want an outdated bike that climbs like a bag of rocks. Starting out... climbing hills will be the biggest challenge, not riding back down the hill. Any bike on cl for under a $1000 is on there because they don't ever want to ride that piece of s$%t again. The front range is all climbing before you get to the fun stuff make no doubt about that. Climbing a hill on a bike your first season will be one of the hardest things you ever do. Some of these old timers forget that. It's hard to find a full suspension that is light and climbs well for what you can pay to get a SWEET hard tail. Get a decent hard tail from a shop and they will most likely adjust it, tune it up for free at first. When and if you go to winter park/vail and do real down hill... rent a rig your first couple of seasons. A good downhill rig is at least 2500-3000 bucks. Good Luck!

Armchair Sasquatcheror

Trek Y bike = Y did tehy make it?

Definitely do not but the Why bike. In fact I wouldn't recommend anything older than 2002 for an aluminum frame and even that is pretty old. For $500. you can definitely find a better deal, keep searching and researching.
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

not actually bad :)
    OP was 1.5 years ago - think he's prolly found something by now!!
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    hey nueler i need a dh bike to train to summit everest and a dh called the sea otter in santa CRUZ ca how about 475

mtbr member
    Bad Andy You so smart!! We all so dumb!! I didn't even look at the date DUH...