Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrewnielson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    624

    Help me pick out my new AM/FR bike..

    I've lived here on the Front Range for about 10 years now, and have gone thru several sweet rides. Something about getting a new ride every year and a half or so has gotten me hooked on trying new rides. I've owned a Specialized Enduro, Cannondale Moto, and I just sold my Giant Reign 0 to grab something new. What has been one of your favorite front range AM/FR type bikes that you've ever owned? I'm looking at grabbing something new here in the next month. Looking at maybe building up an ASR-7 frame, but I'd love to hear from you guys on what you'd recommend!

  2. #2
    Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Reputation: jasonvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    996
    You can't call yourself a frontranger until you ride a SC Nomad. I think that's in our charter.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

  3. #3
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,641
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity View Post
    You can't call yourself a frontranger until you ride a SC Nomad. I think that's in our charter.
    Isn't that more in the Trail/AM category?

  4. #4
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,949

    Nttawwt

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity View Post
    You can't call yourself a frontranger until you ride a SC Nomad. I think that's in our charter.
    Huh, really? The way I'd always understood it, a guy riding any Santa Cruz bike was kind of like a guy who had a single ear ring, in the right ear. You know, left is right and right is wrong.

    Sorry, couldn't help it.

    I'm not Freeride/DH kind of dude. I'll get out of the way and let the gravity junkies take over.

    Just sipping on a nice IPA and feeling pleased that we've gotten through .75 of the day that could have been the last one of the world as we know it, and nothing particularly bad has happened... so I'm feeling kinda smarty pants-ish.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  5. #5
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,667
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity View Post
    You can't call yourself a frontranger until you ride a SC Nomad. I think that's in our charter.

    I thought that was a 575...
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    452
    Well.. I love my Enduro (2012).. the 2013 one is looking even nicer and lighter, which in the front range is not a bad thing.. I rode a Nomad for awhile, was not a fan.. I rode a first generation 575 and loved that..

    If money wasn't an issue I would certainly check out a pivot mach 5.7 carbon.. but I am a teacher

  7. #7
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,024
    Done.

    <iframe width='600' height='400' src='http://www.vitalmtb.com/slideshow_frame_sources/4205?embed=true' frameborder='0' scrolling='0'></iframe><p style='margin:0; padding:6px 0;' id='VitalSlideshowCaption'><a href='http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/First-Look-2013-Specialized-Enduro-EVO,4205/Slideshow,0/bturman,109'>First Look: 2013 Specialized Enduro Expert EVO - Now Bigger And Badder</a> &mdash; More <a href='http://www.vitalmtb.com'>Mountain Bike</a> <a href='http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/main'>Photos</a></p>

  8. #8
    GL1
    GL1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    480
    Love my Nomad carbon but really just love the slacker HA and geometry. I could do with less in back and I think others have discovered this...thus the Mach 5.7 and Intense Carbide...carbon if you can swing it. Spend some researching those. But not Blur LT b/c it's the same weight as the Nomad anyway.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

  9. #9
    The MTB Lab
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,370
    Personally the Trail/AM category is the way to go, Freeride bikes weigh to much and aren't much fun for climbing. My fave of late are the Ibis Mojo HD, Pivot 5.7, Yeti SB-95. Some of the new 27.5 are sweet, but I haven't gotten enough time on them.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    413

    Good job!

    Wait for the ellsworth epiphany 275, if you have never tried an ellsworth give it a try. And its made in the USA.

  11. #11
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,161
    Mojo HD is a great chassis. Nomad Carbon looks pretty good, too. Each has slightly different suspension characteristics, tipping the hat toward the HD. Mojo on the other hand is lacking ISCG tabs.

    _MK
    .
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -- Einstein, Albert

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrewnielson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    624
    No shoutout to the ASR7 or SB66 yet? Never owned a Yeti, so I'm kinda interested. How about the SC Butcher? Anybody ride that compared to the Nomad?

  13. #13
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,161
    ASR7 is an interesting frame but it is a product of a lot of compromises to get so much travel out of the faux bar linkage at such relatively low weight with such short stays and subsequently super slack seat tube. SB66 has been getting pretty mixed reviews; biggest drawback I've read is that it is very bouncy when pedaling.

    _MK
    .
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -- Einstein, Albert

  14. #14
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,024
    What's your definition of the "freeride" side?

    I struggle with anything designed around an airshock being a durable freeride bike unless you're a flyweight.

  15. #15
    GL1
    GL1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    480

    Thoughts...

    ASR7 is nice but heavy. My buddy has one sitting around 37lb...which is fine depending on your goal here. I'm impressed with the SB66 and another friend has one (carbon) of those right at 28lb..which is right where I have my Nomad carbon...and both those are with dropper posts and all the "fun" stuff.

    Here's some history on my AM/FR experience the last few years which may or may not be helpful but might give you some ideas.

    Three years ago I built up a more AM/FR alloy Nomad. Not true FR...didn't go Saint etc., but It was sitting around 34lb. I used it for everything from my usual front range riding to park riding and jumping, to Trestle. It was fun and blazed downhill but longer rides and long climbs were getting to me. I had ridden a lot of XC and the extra weight was really noticeable to me. So, I made a list of what all I liked most about the Nomad...mostly the slacker HA, geometry in general, and rigidity (esp in the front end). I then set out to build a bike that was at least 5lb lighter but that would still have all the attributes I thought were most important in this bike format. I went with a Nomad carbon (really because I got a good deal on it) and then went 1x10, and scaled down a lot of the other parts...crossmax ST's, lighter tires, carbon bits elsewhere etc. I was blown away! Dropping 6lb was amazing and my normal rides were finishing 15-20 minutes faster immediately. Per my times, I hadn't lost anything on the DH's although this rig might be a bit light for Trestle. But I can still hit all the drops and ride the tech lines that I did on the other Nomad so no loss there. I bought a jump bike for the parks. But overall, saving that weight was incredible for 95% of what I ride. So, to sum it up, I think I found a great balance and I think I would be happy with even a bit less in the back...so again maybe Mach 5.7 or Carbide though the Nomad is just fine.

    So, I'm not sure exactly what your goal is or how many bikes you can have in your stable. But, if you are planning on riding this thing mostly on the front range as your daily ride, there is an argument for going somewhat lighter if possible since you spend a lot of time pointed upward. If this is your Trestle machine etc., then that's a different story, but true FR trails are few and far between in these parts.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

  16. #16
    The MTB Lab
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,370
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewnielson View Post
    No shoutout to the ASR7 or SB66 yet? Never owned a Yeti, so I'm kinda interested. How about the SC Butcher? Anybody ride that compared to the Nomad?
    You might be able to get the ASR-7 still, but Yeti has dropped it from their lineup. I used to have one, and it was a pretty sweet bike, though I greatly prefer my HD. I tested the SB66 and SB95, and think the SB95 is better, though they are more Trail oriented than AM.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewnielson View Post
    I've lived here on the Front Range for about 10 years now, and have gone thru several sweet rides. Something about getting a new ride every year and a half or so has gotten me hooked on trying new rides. I've owned a Specialized Enduro, Cannondale Moto, and I just sold my Giant Reign 0 to grab something new. What has been one of your favorite front range AM/FR type bikes that you've ever owned? I'm looking at grabbing something new here in the next month. Looking at maybe building up an ASR-7 frame, but I'd love to hear from you guys on what you'd recommend!
    I just got a Knolly Chilcotin after a similar search. I've only had a few short rides on it because of the snow, but I'm loving it so far. Heading to Phoenix next week to try it out more thoroughly.

    My wife is very happy with her Trek Scratch Coil in this category. I suppose the Slash would be the current equivalent.

  18. #18
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,535
    Having owned a:

    Giant NRS
    Special Ed Enduro
    Commencal Meta 6
    Garry Fischer HT
    Special Ed Stumpy 29er
    Commencal HT

    So far the best overall for me has been the Stumpy 29er or one of the HTs.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    566
    Also on a chilcotin. Love the bike. 2 frame settings (slack/steep). Designed for 160 - 180mm forks. Climbs great. Descends better.

    Here is my list:
    -Banshee Rune V2 (26"/650b capability, slack, low, light)
    -Canfield The One (more freeridey, looks like a killer Trestle bike but also could be pedaled)
    -Ibis Mojo HD (Light, stiff, carbon)

  20. #20
    Kaj
    Kaj is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,108
    I have a comped demo on a Mojo HD waiting for you

    I would say the Reign as well, but since you're coming off that I assume you want a change. The new 2013 Reign is basically the same just went back to a normal threaded bb so putting a change guide is easier.
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust in garage

  21. #21
    Goat Head
    Reputation: SomethingRelatedToBiking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    621
    First off, do you own a full DH rig?

    If yes, then I highly recommend the Specialized Stumpjumper EVO.

    If no, then the Enduro or Enduro EVO.

    As a mech of 10 years, I can tell you that I hate doing pivot work on Santa Cruz VPP.

    The geometries from most brands are zeroing in on the same numbers, so no real standouts for me.

    I like FSR bikes most because the rear brake works better and small bump compliance is good. Keep in mind that all stock bikes come with stock rear shock valving that can be sent away to Push for customization.

    I have a Demo 8 (36.5lbs) and a SJ EVO (27.8lbs with Reverb). I've had Enduros before and they are just too close to the DH side of life, so the SJ seems to widen that gap while keeping me planted nicely. That said, be sure not to buy older than 2012. They made so many improvements in rear end stiffness and shock compliance over the 2011--SJ and Enduro both.

  22. #22
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,535
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingRelatedToBiking View Post
    First off, do you own a full DH rig?

    If yes, then I highly recommend the Specialized Stumpjumper EVO.

    If no, then the Enduro or Enduro EVO.

    I have a Demo 8 (36.5lbs) and a SJ EVO (27.8lbs with Reverb). I've had Enduros before and they are just too close to the DH side of life, so the SJ seems to widen that gap while keeping me planted nicely.
    Fully agree. I have a Demo and a Stumpy too. I took my Enduro to Keystone once in place of my DH bike. It surprised me how much it can really handle. It's a great choice for a do it all bike; but I like having a "need" for 2 bikes.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SylentK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
    Love my Nomad carbon but really just love the slacker HA and geometry. I could do with less in back and I think others have discovered this...thus the Mach 5.7 and Intense Carbide...carbon if you can swing it. Spend some researching those. But not Blur LT b/c it's the same weight as the Nomad anyway.
    And I thought I was the only one going to a smaller bike (less in the back). I jumped on the Nomad bandwagon early - in 2006. I just replaced it with a Turner 5 Spot (5.5") and love it.

    Anyways, to the OP - Get the Nomad (or something like it) if you only ride one bike. As this bike will be fine on most lift-serviced trails as well as front range and everything in between. And you def want to ride the lifts. Cuz you're not a true Front Ranger unless you ride the lifts in the summer, too. If you already have a DH/FR bike, go for a bike in the 5" travel range. Any more and it's almost like cheating
    Biker? I don't even know her.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrewnielson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    624
    Okay, so any thoughts on the Trek Remedy? I've got a great deal waiting for me that I can pull the trigger on. It's a like new 2011 Remedy 7 for $1100, which would give me room for upgrades. It's currently set up with 150mm Fox Float 32 and a 150mm Fox Float DVRC in the rear. Haven't heard from any Remedy lovers?

  25. #25
    GL1
    GL1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewnielson View Post
    Okay, so any thoughts on the Trek Remedy? I've got a great deal waiting for me that I can pull the trigger on. It's a like new 2011 Remedy 7 for $1100, which would give me room for upgrades. It's currently set up with 150mm Fox Float 32 and a 150mm Fox Float DVRC in the rear. Haven't heard from any Remedy lovers?
    I like the Remedy at that price. Seriously, that's a great bike for that and can handle AM but still not too heavy. You do get more bike for the money with a big manufacturer. Giant Reign would be comparable as well.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

  26. #26
    Kaj
    Kaj is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,108
    make sure that fox fork has been overhauled. We are seeing alot of 1 or 2 year old fox forks that are showing premature stanchion wear, and the uppers are needing to be replaced. These are forks with 100 hours of use or less. The fix is new uppers at $300+ including labor -- ouch
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust in garage

  27. #27
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,897
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingRelatedToBiking View Post
    First off, do you own a full DH rig?

    If yes, then I highly recommend the Specialized Stumpjumper EVO.

    If no, then the Enduro or Enduro EVO.
    Agree.

    I couldn't find a Stumpy EVO at all this summer, but that was the bike I was zero'ing in on.

    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingRelatedToBiking View Post
    I've had Enduros before and they are just too close to the DH side of life, so the SJ seems to widen that gap while keeping me planted nicely.
    Agree x2. I sold my 2011 Enduro b/c it was a too DH oriented for my 'one-bike' quiver. Great bike mind you, but I hated long days in the saddle or extended climbs or sit-n-spin in the flats. Downhill, that bike was amazing. Confidence inspiring. But it compromised too much everywhere else to have as my main/only trail/AM bike.

  28. #28
    Goat Head
    Reputation: SomethingRelatedToBiking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    621
    Fox service interval is 40 or 50 ride hours. High-end requires high-end maintenance. That is why Enduro seals are the devil.

    Remedy is a great bike. My buddy is selling one. I'll get him off his ass and post some pictures.

  29. #29
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,161
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingRelatedToBiking View Post
    Fox service interval is 40 or 50 ride hours. High-end requires high-end maintenance.


    _MK
    .
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -- Einstein, Albert

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrewnielson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingRelatedToBiking View Post
    Fox service interval is 40 or 50 ride hours. High-end requires high-end maintenance. That is why Enduro seals are the devil.

    Remedy is a great bike. My buddy is selling one. I'll get him off his ass and post some pictures.
    I might be interested. Is it a large? what year? Thanks..

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: frickinGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewnielson View Post
    Okay, so any thoughts on the Trek Remedy? I've got a great deal waiting for me that I can pull the trigger on. It's a like new 2011 Remedy 7 for $1100, which would give me room for upgrades. It's currently set up with 150mm Fox Float 32 and a 150mm Fox Float DVRC in the rear. Haven't heard from any Remedy lovers?
    i have a 2011 remedy 9 that i love. i've taken it everywhere from trestle/keystone to all day epic rides. the drivetrain was a little noisy and loose so i took off the big front ring and threw in a chain guide/bashguard for a 2 ring set up. its better than stock but i will likely put on a rear derailleur with a clutch to silent it even more. add a dropper post and go tubeless and you got one sick ride.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Agree.

    I couldn't find a Stumpy EVO at all this summer, but that was the bike I was zero'ing in on.



    Agree x2. I sold my 2011 Enduro b/c it was a too DH oriented for my 'one-bike' quiver. Great bike mind you, but I hated long days in the saddle or extended climbs or sit-n-spin in the flats. Downhill, that bike was amazing. Confidence inspiring. But it compromised too much everywhere else to have as my main/only trail/AM bike.
    Not trying to be contrary.. but, is a stumpy EvO really all that different than an Enduro.. we are talking maybe 1.5-2.0 lbs? An Enduro with a nice wheelset and set up tubeless will get you close..

    I love the enduro, just threw some hadley hubs and WTB laser TCS's on mine and rode the hell out of it over xmas (st george and vegas) and that bike is just so funny and easy to pedal (and much easier to find than the stumpy EVO).. to top it off, it does handle rough stuff, drops and jumps very well also..(btw, I was looking for a Stumpy EVO this summer and now I am glad I ended up with another Enduro)..

  33. #33
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,143
    IMO, that Remedy w/ Fox 32 is underforked. Whatever weight it adds to go to bigger stanchions and 20mm TA would be worth it to me.

    I'm on a 2012 Enduro Comp, and I think it climbs pretty well, considering it's only got a 34t ring up front. With the 2.5 dhf exo's and a dropper post, it weighs around 30lbs. Given the choice, I'd like it to be lighter, but that's about all I'd change on it.

    If/ when I can pick up another dh bike, I'll like go back to a smaller trail bike though. It does seem a little like cheating on some of the frontrange trails.
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    664
    I've ridden most of the bikes mentioned, in and around the front range area and NONE of them compare to the Canfield The One.

    I'm on a '12 now and almost have it fully set up the way I want it, just need to finish converting over to a 1x10 with a 28t drive and a 9-36t in the back. With this setup I can almost promise that it will outclimb any of the aforementioned bikes, all while still in the 8" travel mode and ready to destroy any DH you can throw at it. This bike really puts a new meaning to "all mountain"...

    Also, the Canfield guys have customer service beyond compare, there are few in the business that keep their customers as close as these guys.

    Outstanding bikes backed by an upstanding company, couldn't ask for more!!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    I've ridden most of the bikes mentioned, in and around the front range area and NONE of them compare to the Canfield The One.

    I'm on a '12 now and almost have it fully set up the way I want it, just need to finish converting over to a 1x10 with a 28t drive and a 9-36t in the back. With this setup I can almost promise that it will outclimb any of the aforementioned bikes, all while still in the 8" travel mode and ready to destroy any DH you can throw at it. This bike really puts a new meaning to "all mountain"...

    Also, the Canfield guys have customer service beyond compare, there are few in the business that keep their customers as close as these guys.

    Outstanding bikes backed by an upstanding company, couldn't ask for more!!
    Whats something like that weigh?
    My friend had an older one, he hated it, but that was the old design..

  36. #36
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie7 View Post
    Not trying to be contrary.. but, is a stumpy EvO really all that different than an Enduro.. we are talking maybe 1.5-2.0 lbs? An Enduro with a nice wheelset and set up tubeless will get you close..

    I love the enduro, just threw some hadley hubs and WTB laser TCS's on mine and rode the hell out of it over xmas (st george and vegas) and that bike is just so funny and easy to pedal (and much easier to find than the stumpy EVO).. to top it off, it does handle rough stuff, drops and jumps very well also..(btw, I was looking for a Stumpy EVO this summer and now I am glad I ended up with another Enduro)..
    I would venture to say yes. A slightly different head angle as well as different ratios on the FSR lever arms. FSR doesn't have an anti-squat platform built into the design and is soley dependant on shock valving to setup the pedal resistance.

    The Enduro was an amazing bike. Please don't get me wrong there. It was phenominal on the downhills. I just felt that it was not efficient enough for me on the flats and longer rides.

    Again, I wanted a burly trail/light AM bike, which the Stumpy Evo is. The Enduro is geared more for AM and people love it. While wasn't the right bike for me, it's the great bike for many, many other riders.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie7 View Post
    Whats something like that weigh?
    My friend had an older one, he hated it, but that was the old design..
    Mine's pretty heavy right now but I have some beefy parts I'm swapping out, shooting for around 34-35ish when I'm done. There are some full air builds sub 32 though

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    I would venture to say yes. A slightly different head angle as well as different ratios on the FSR lever arms. FSR doesn't have an anti-squat platform built into the design and is soley dependant on shock valving to setup the pedal resistance.

    The Enduro was an amazing bike. Please don't get me wrong there. It was phenominal on the downhills. I just felt that it was not efficient enough for me on the flats and longer rides.

    Again, I wanted a burly trail/light AM bike, which the Stumpy Evo is. The Enduro is geared more for AM and people love it. While wasn't the right bike for me, it's the great bike for many, many other riders.

    nice comparison, thanks for making it more understandable..

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrewnielson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    624
    So after much thought and research I ended up selling the Giant Reign for a 2010 Yeti ASR-7. Just finished building it up and had my first ride yesterday at UTE and was blown away by the capability of this bike.

    Last edited by andrewnielson; 01-20-2013 at 01:34 PM.

  40. #40
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,942
    Nice ride. I wanted one of those for a while.

  41. #41
    Goat Head
    Reputation: SomethingRelatedToBiking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post


    _MK
    Haha I didn't mean to sound like a KTM owner or something. My answer is what Fox would have said. I have rebuilt loads of Rock Shox forks that have been used and abuse, no maintenance ever, etc. and they revived back to working condition (some didn't of course). I don't know why Fox uses such a soft coating/aluminum but it might as well be made of margarine.

    I still think that if you want your fork to feel good you have to change the oil and wipers at least twice a year depending on use--even if that pushes you to 70 hours per change. Its like your car: oil change every 3000 miles or six months--whichever comes first. But for MTB forks it is 70 hours or leaks--whichever comes first.

    And just to put it out there to anyone reading this, quit putting chain lube on your wipers! you are making it worse. Use Liquid-O-Ring® PM-600 Military Grease, preferably. Slather a small amount around the middle of each stanchion and cycle the fork a few times then wipe excess. The PM-600 purportedly dissolves more evenly in suspension oil than Slick Honey (clumps of grease in your oil affects oil flow).

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrewnielson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    624
    After some new decals...

    Before:


    After:



  43. #43
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,942
    is it just the angle or does the nose of your seat look like it is way high for suck a slack seat tube angle?

  44. #44
    Goat Head
    Reputation: SomethingRelatedToBiking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    621
    Nice bike, bud. That will do for out here for sure. Looks like a capable Wednesday night ride bike *cough cough*.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andrewnielson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    is it just the angle or does the nose of your seat look like it is way high for suck a slack seat tube angle?
    Must be the angle and it's also the seat I snagged from my old Surly Moonlander. I'm waiting for my Yeti saddle to come in the mail.


    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingRelatedToBiking View Post
    Nice bike, bud. That will do for out here for sure. Looks like a capable Wednesday night ride bike *cough cough*.
    Gonna try to make it. Should know tomorrow night for sure though. Thanks for the invite!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •