Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Help me pick out my new AM/FR bike..

I've lived here on the Front Range for about 10 years now, and have gone thru several sweet rides. Something about getting a new ride every year and a half or so has gotten me hooked on trying new rides. I've owned a Specialized Enduro, Cannondale Moto, and I just sold my Giant Reign 0 to grab something new. What has been one of your favorite front range AM/FR type bikes that you've ever owned? I'm looking at grabbing something new here in the next month. Looking at maybe building up an ASR-7 frame, but I'd love to hear from you guys on what you'd recommend!

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    You can't call yourself a frontranger until you ride a SC Nomad. I think that's in our charter.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity View Post
    You can't call yourself a frontranger until you ride a SC Nomad. I think that's in our charter.
    Isn't that more in the Trail/AM category?

Team Velveeta™

Nttawwt

Huh, really? The way I'd always understood it, a guy riding any Santa Cruz bike was kind of like a guy who had a single ear ring, in the right ear. You know, left is right and right is wrong.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

I'm not Freeride/DH kind of dude. I'll get out of the way and let the gravity junkies take over.

Just sipping on a nice IPA and feeling pleased that we've gotten through .75 of the day that could have been the last one of the world as we know it, and nothing particularly bad has happened... so I'm feeling kinda smarty pants-ish.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

I thought that was a 575...
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Well.. I love my Enduro (2012).. the 2013 one is looking even nicer and lighter, which in the front range is not a bad thing.. I rode a Nomad for awhile, was not a fan.. I rode a first generation 575 and loved that..

If money wasn't an issue I would certainly check out a pivot mach 5.7 carbon.. but I am a teacher

..ouch

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Love my Nomad carbon but really just love the slacker HA and geometry. I could do with less in back and I think others have discovered this...thus the Mach 5.7 and Intense Carbide...carbon if you can swing it. Spend some researching those. But not Blur LT b/c it's the same weight as the Nomad anyway.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

Grams Light Bikes
    Personally the Trail/AM category is the way to go, Freeride bikes weigh to much and aren't much fun for climbing. My fave of late are the Ibis Mojo HD, Pivot 5.7, Yeti SB-95. Some of the new 27.5 are sweet, but I haven't gotten enough time on them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Good job!

Wait for the ellsworth epiphany 275, if you have never tried an ellsworth give it a try. And its made in the USA.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Mojo HD is a great chassis. Nomad Carbon looks pretty good, too. Each has slightly different suspension characteristics, tipping the hat toward the HD. Mojo on the other hand is lacking ISCG tabs.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    No shoutout to the ASR7 or SB66 yet? Never owned a Yeti, so I'm kinda interested. How about the SC Butcher? Anybody ride that compared to the Nomad?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    ASR7 is an interesting frame but it is a product of a lot of compromises to get so much travel out of the faux bar linkage at such relatively low weight with such short stays and subsequently super slack seat tube. SB66 has been getting pretty mixed reviews; biggest drawback I've read is that it is very bouncy when pedaling.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

..ouch
    What's your definition of the "freeride" side?

I struggle with anything designed around an airshock being a durable freeride bike unless you're a flyweight.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Thoughts...

ASR7 is nice but heavy. My buddy has one sitting around 37lb...which is fine depending on your goal here. I'm impressed with the SB66 and another friend has one (carbon) of those right at 28lb..which is right where I have my Nomad carbon...and both those are with dropper posts and all the "fun" stuff.

Here's some history on my AM/FR experience the last few years which may or may not be helpful but might give you some ideas.

Three years ago I built up a more AM/FR alloy Nomad. Not true FR...didn't go Saint etc., but It was sitting around 34lb. I used it for everything from my usual front range riding to park riding and jumping, to Trestle. It was fun and blazed downhill but longer rides and long climbs were getting to me. I had ridden a lot of XC and the extra weight was really noticeable to me. So, I made a list of what all I liked most about the Nomad...mostly the slacker HA, geometry in general, and rigidity (esp in the front end). I then set out to build a bike that was at least 5lb lighter but that would still have all the attributes I thought were most important in this bike format. I went with a Nomad carbon (really because I got a good deal on it) and then went 1x10, and scaled down a lot of the other parts...crossmax ST's, lighter tires, carbon bits elsewhere etc. I was blown away! Dropping 6lb was amazing and my normal rides were finishing 15-20 minutes faster immediately. Per my times, I hadn't lost anything on the DH's although this rig might be a bit light for Trestle. But I can still hit all the drops and ride the tech lines that I did on the other Nomad so no loss there. I bought a jump bike for the parks. But overall, saving that weight was incredible for 95% of what I ride. So, to sum it up, I think I found a great balance and I think I would be happy with even a bit less in the back...so again maybe Mach 5.7 or Carbide though the Nomad is just fine.

So, I'm not sure exactly what your goal is or how many bikes you can have in your stable. But, if you are planning on riding this thing mostly on the front range as your daily ride, there is an argument for going somewhat lighter if possible since you spend a lot of time pointed upward. If this is your Trestle machine etc., then that's a different story, but true FR trails are few and far between in these parts.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewnielson View Post
    No shoutout to the ASR7 or SB66 yet? Never owned a Yeti, so I'm kinda interested. How about the SC Butcher? Anybody ride that compared to the Nomad?
    You might be able to get the ASR-7 still, but Yeti has dropped it from their lineup. I used to have one, and it was a pretty sweet bike, though I greatly prefer my HD. I tested the SB66 and SB95, and think the SB95 is better, though they are more Trail oriented than AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've lived here on the Front Range for about 10 years now, and have gone thru several sweet rides. Something about getting a new ride every year and a half or so has gotten me hooked on trying new rides. I've owned a Specialized Enduro, Cannondale Moto, and I just sold my Giant Reign 0 to grab something new. What has been one of your favorite front range AM/FR type bikes that you've ever owned? I'm looking at grabbing something new here in the next month. Looking at maybe building up an ASR-7 frame, but I'd love to hear from you guys on what you'd recommend!
    I just got a Knolly Chilcotin after a similar search. I've only had a few short rides on it because of the snow, but I'm loving it so far. Heading to Phoenix next week to try it out more thoroughly.

My wife is very happy with her Trek Scratch Coil in this category. I suppose the Slash would be the current equivalent.

Living the High Life
    Having owned a:

Giant NRS
    Special Ed Enduro
    Commencal Meta 6
    Garry Fischer HT
    Special Ed Stumpy 29er
    Commencal HT

So far the best overall for me has been the Stumpy 29er or one of the HTs.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Also on a chilcotin. Love the bike. 2 frame settings (slack/steep). Designed for 160 - 180mm forks. Climbs great. Descends better.

Here is my list:
    -Banshee Rune V2 (26"/650b capability, slack, low, light)
    -Canfield The One (more freeridey, looks like a killer Trestle bike but also could be pedaled)
    -Ibis Mojo HD (Light, stiff, carbon)

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I have a comped demo on a Mojo HD waiting for you

I would say the Reign as well, but since you're coming off that I assume you want a change. The new 2013 Reign is basically the same just went back to a normal threaded bb so putting a change guide is easier.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Goat Head
    First off, do you own a full DH rig?

If yes, then I highly recommend the Specialized Stumpjumper EVO.

If no, then the Enduro or Enduro EVO.

As a mech of 10 years, I can tell you that I hate doing pivot work on Santa Cruz VPP.

The geometries from most brands are zeroing in on the same numbers, so no real standouts for me.

I like FSR bikes most because the rear brake works better and small bump compliance is good. Keep in mind that all stock bikes come with stock rear shock valving that can be sent away to Push for customization.

I have a Demo 8 (36.5lbs) and a SJ EVO (27.8lbs with Reverb). I've had Enduros before and they are just too close to the DH side of life, so the SJ seems to widen that gap while keeping me planted nicely. That said, be sure not to buy older than 2012. They made so many improvements in rear end stiffness and shock compliance over the 2011--SJ and Enduro both.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingRelatedToBiking View Post
    First off, do you own a full DH rig?

If yes, then I highly recommend the Specialized Stumpjumper EVO.

If no, then the Enduro or Enduro EVO.

I have a Demo 8 (36.5lbs) and a SJ EVO (27.8lbs with Reverb). I've had Enduros before and they are just too close to the DH side of life, so the SJ seems to widen that gap while keeping me planted nicely.
    Fully agree. I have a Demo and a Stumpy too. I took my Enduro to Keystone once in place of my DH bike. It surprised me how much it can really handle. It's a great choice for a do it all bike; but I like having a "need" for 2 bikes.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
    Love my Nomad carbon but really just love the slacker HA and geometry. I could do with less in back and I think others have discovered this...thus the Mach 5.7 and Intense Carbide...carbon if you can swing it. Spend some researching those. But not Blur LT b/c it's the same weight as the Nomad anyway.
    And I thought I was the only one going to a smaller bike (less in the back). I jumped on the Nomad bandwagon early - in 2006. I just replaced it with a Turner 5 Spot (5.5") and love it.

Anyways, to the OP - Get the Nomad (or something like it) if you only ride one bike. As this bike will be fine on most lift-serviced trails as well as front range and everything in between. And you def want to ride the lifts. Cuz you're not a true Front Ranger unless you ride the lifts in the summer, too. If you already have a DH/FR bike, go for a bike in the 5" travel range. Any more and it's almost like cheating
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Okay, so any thoughts on the Trek Remedy? I've got a great deal waiting for me that I can pull the trigger on. It's a like new 2011 Remedy 7 for $1100, which would give me room for upgrades. It's currently set up with 150mm Fox Float 32 and a 150mm Fox Float DVRC in the rear. Haven't heard from any Remedy lovers?

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Okay, so any thoughts on the Trek Remedy? I've got a great deal waiting for me that I can pull the trigger on. It's a like new 2011 Remedy 7 for $1100, which would give me room for upgrades. It's currently set up with 150mm Fox Float 32 and a 150mm Fox Float DVRC in the rear. Haven't heard from any Remedy lovers?
    I like the Remedy at that price. Seriously, that's a great bike for that and can handle AM but still not too heavy. You do get more bike for the money with a big manufacturer. Giant Reign would be comparable as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast