Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help Me Pick a Fork

1K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Scabby Elbowz 
#1 ·
My 'Zocchi is toast due to a front hub failure that snowballed and managed to ruin the fork as well.

I get a little spastic, sometimes, when shopping and and either overspend on something that I really don't need or underspend and end up with something that doesn't work.

I will probably end up running my old RS Judy XC (example of something that didn't work) for now, but need to get a new fork. Luckily, all the '04 stuff is on sale. Given my budget (peanuts), riding style (elephant on crack), and usual choice of trails (does your insurance company know you're doing that?), this is the short list: (prices do not include shipping)

'04 MX Comp ETA 120 (what I had) 4.3lbs $199
'04 MX Pro ETA 120 (external rebound) 4.3 $229
'03 Psylo SL 85-115 (would require HD spring upgrade) 4.1lbs $299
'04 Marathon SL 120 ECC (jedi XC) 3.7lbs $329
'05 Pike SL 90-140 Lockout, Thru Axle 5lbs (might need HD springs) $369
'04 Z.1 FR SL ECC 130 (mmm... BEEFY!) 4.7lbs $379
Maverick 'The Fork' 4"/6" 3.7 lbs $800 :rolleyes:
OR:
'Stick with the Judy, get a hardtail, and learn how to ride, WUSS!' :D
OR:
Suggest another of comparable quality/price range.

Other considerations:
1) I weigh 215-220 in gear & Camelbak, and have broken nearly everything on my bike (including frame) in the past 18 months.
2) This will be going on a bike with 3.75" of rear travel for now, but will end up on a trail bike with somewhere between 4-6" of travel next year.
3) Weekday rides are usually in Palmer Park.
4) Weekend rides involve long technical climbs and nasty descents.
5) Oh yeah, did I mention I'm broke and in the process of saving up for a new frame?

Any input will be appreciated, but I am especially interested in hearing comments from anyone currently using any of the products listed for XXC.

I am going into cognitive overload already...

HELP! :confused:

See less See more
#5 ·
My .02

'04 MX Comp ETA 120 (what I had) 4.3lbs $199 - Dude, don't cheap out. You'll regret it in a few months

'04 MX Pro ETA 120 (external rebound) 4.3 $229 - What I said above. At least it has rebound.

'03 Psylo SL 85-115 (would require HD spring upgrade) 4.1lbs $299 - Not a bad fork but might be too short for your next ride.

'04 Marathon SL 120 ECC (jedi XC) 3.7lbs $329 - Too light duty for a guy your size. Based upon what you've said, you'll break this X/C oriented fork in no time.

'05 Pike SL 90-140 Lockout, Thru Axle 5lbs (might need HD springs) $369 - Interesting fork but there is very little revioews on it and it hasn't been proven yet. Rock Shox products have pretty crappy for a while. Has SRAM turned them around? Who knows but I don't want to be the ginea pig..

'04 Z.1 FR SL ECC 130 (mmm... BEEFY!) 4.7lbs $379 - Ding! Ding! Ding! Folks, we have a winner here!! Beefy, plush, stiff, very adjustable, good for a guy your size and will probably work on it on your next bike. You might have to try real hard to break this fork.

Maverick 'The Fork' 4"/6" 3.7 lbs $800 - Wow! You have 800 clams to shell out on a fork? I'm with tscheezy, I haven't heard enough good stuff to justify spending my kids college fund on this fork.

Stick with the Judy, get a hardtail, and learn how to ride, WUSS!' - Ummmm... no.

Suggest another of comparable quality/price range. - If you have the fun coupons to consider a Mav, look at the 05 Marzocchi All Mountains. The SL & AM 1 are real sweet. The TST feature seems cool, it has ECC/ETA, travel can be adjusted to 130mm or 150mm and hey, its a Marzocchi. You can probably pick it up for at least a couple hun less than the Mav.

Tequila!

#6 ·
From a "Ginea Pig"!

'05 Pike SL 90-140 Lockout, Thru Axle 5lbs (might need HD springs) $369 - Interesting fork but there is very little revioews on it and it hasn't been proven yet. Rock Shox products have pretty crappy for a while. Has SRAM turned them around? Who knows but I don't want to be the ginea pig..

Tequila![/QUOTE]

I decided to take the plunge base on SRAM's reputation and the promise that they would put Rock Shox back into shape. After 3 weeks, I am very happy with my choice of a Pike Team with PopLoc. They are several post on the forum from satisfied users of Pike and Reba forks. Keep an open mind. For the price and features, this maybe the best fork on the market. If SRAM does a bad job on these forks, Rock Shox will be history. Stay Tune.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=47808

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=50100

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=46067

#7 ·
With the trail bike in mind, I would not consider anything other than the Z1 SL. Keep in mind though that's it's truly monolithic, and could really work over your current xc-style steed. Is it worth a super-slack head angle and potentially broken head tube for now? Or would you be better off, at least on your current frame, with something shorter? The Marathon will offer the same characteristially awesome Zoke travel, but will be significantly flexier. It gets my vote, unless the FR-type bike is really imminent.

#8 ·
Some very good, well-thought-out responses so far. Just what I needed to bring me to my senses a little.

I haven't heard enough good stuff about the Maverick to justify buying a new hub, using their stem, and $800 plus....
My top-end is $400 including shipping, and even that is pushing it a little. I was just poking a little fun at Maverick for pimping a $800 XC fork. I would probably shred the inverted stanchions in a week, anyways. :p

How about a Fox TALAS?
Steerer is about 1" too short to work, but thanks for the offer, Squeaky. A TALAS would probably be my first choice if cost was not an object.

'04 MX Comp ETA 120 (what I had) 4.3lbs $199 - Dude, don't cheap out. You'll regret it in a few months
Yup, you're right about the MX's. Never replace... UPGRADE! Not adjustable enough, and the high-speed damping is not stellar. They are dynamite forks for the price, but I would like to have something a little nicer. You were also right on the money about the Psylo probably being short-legged for my next ride. That kicks 3 forks off the island.

If SRAM does a bad job on these forks, Rock Shox will be history.
Yeah, I think they know they're walking on eggshells with core MTB-ers at this point. It seems like they have taken their time to get this right. All the initial reviews of the Pike and Reba have been awesome. I guess the real question is real-world durability. No way to know for sure until they've been out for a year or two. This fork seems offer more in terms of adjustability and steering precision than the other ones I listed. Do you happen to know offhand how much a spring upgrade will cost?

Is it worth a super-slack head angle and potentially broken head tube for now?
You are also wise. The Z.1 is the current reigning mack-daddy when it comes to durability, and also the best out-of-the-box for someone my size, but... My frame purchase is 4-6 months down the road, barring premature failure of my current ride. I could alleviate some of the slackness by running in one of the ECC positions, but I would have to listen to it 'clunk' every time it topped-out. Not ready to completely shut the door on the big bomber yet, but close.
P.S.- Nice bash guard you made for Keith. Will it work in place of a big ring on a bike with a front der, or is it SS only?

So. I guess it's down to the Pike or the Marathon SL (havent completely shut the door on the Z.1, but it's running a distant 3rd) Interesting... the heaviest and the lightest of the ones I was considering.

Keep the input coming.

#9 · (Edited)
Scabby Elbowz said:
I could alleviate some of the slackness by running in one of the ECC positions, but I would have to listen to it 'clunk' every time it topped-out. Not ready to completely shut the door on the big bomber yet, but close.
ECC can most accurately be described as "drastic rebound adjustment". Travel adjustment it is not; after one or two good hits, it's locked out. That's all there is to it - I never had any clunks associated with my Z1 SL, which was hands down the smoothest and most consistent fork I've ever owned.

Also consider a Reba - it should be as stiff as a Fox, with less travel than the other two you're examining (and much closer, it sounds like, to what your frame is suited for). The bottom of the line dual air Reba can be had as low as $300, and the damping is identical to the greater models...

My other, better reccomendation? Put a Surly rigid fork on your hardtail and spend the next 6 months polishing your skills - getting to the point where you can beat your full-sussy friends on the descents with it. Then, when you make the jump to 6" (if you even consider it after 6 months of "redemptive suffering"!), you'll be able to smoke them all with wit and aplomb.

Scabby Elbowz said:
P.S.- Nice bash guard you made for Keith. Will it work in place of a big ring on a bike with a front der, or is it SS only?
Yes, it will work on any combination. 2 x 9, 1 x 9, 1 x 1, etc. Kirk is using it on his Heckler, and doesn't even own a singlespeed. Yet.

#10 ·
ECC can most accurately be described as "drastic rebound adjustment".
Thanks for the explanation of ECC. I had, ignorantly, thought that it was similar to ETA but with 5 positions rather than 1. ETA at least leaves you with an inch of travel. 130mm will put my front end up way too high for general mucking-about on singletrack. The Z.1 is out. Also the Marathon SL option has been revised to the Marathon S. The Reba is cool, but might be a little short on my next build. I also like the thought of having a through-axle up front.

As for the 'redemptive suffering'... 4 years on a Trek 930 with a RS Quadra, cantis, and 'rat-traps' was enough. Seriously, though. I have a lumbar disc problem that almost took me off the trails for good. I need some cushion when I'm doing my pushin.! :D

Down to the Pike SL or Marathon 120S unless someone can convince me that there is something in the Manitou line that's worth a look.

#14 ·
Yup...mashed it on a bunch of rocks over and over again at the white ranch trail head. I had to debur it with a file, since some mashed bits were hanging into my chainline...otherwise still as good as new...

#15 ·
don't forget about velo swap

its at the end of October if you can wait that long.

I've been riding a z1 for a while now, it is pretty slack, but i adjusted to it quickly and it has saved my ass more times than i can remember (i think i've gotten used to it saving me even).

#16 ·
ibmkidIII said:
Yup...mashed it on a bunch of rocks over and over again at the white ranch trail head. I had to debur it with a file, since some mashed bits were hanging into my chainline...otherwise still as good as new...
I high-centered my bike trying a new "line" at Hall the other day, and it stopped me DEAD. The line is OK, provided your bashguard is pretty durable.

Short story? The acrylic works as well as the Markalon has for me, but I'm pretty light. The acrylic chipped, though, which I haven't had the Markalon do yet - it tends to just sort of squish.

#17 ·
Velo Swap? Maybe. Might be able to demo something there, too. I really, really, REALLY want a new fork, though. Guess my patience will probably depend on how bad the Judy pi$$es me off between now and then. I'm also drooling at the thought of rolling on a Z.1 or a Marathon, or a Pike. Sure, it's all about rider skill. But I gotta admit I'm a big-time sucker for shiny new bike parts.

Knowing how I get at Velo Swap though... ( I come from lake Titicaca. I claim this land in the name of the Almighty Bung-Hole.) If I decide to go that route, I'll take a friend to keep me from going off the deep end.

Speaking of shiny new bike parts... My big ring is ground down to the nubs, Stefan. Would you consider another production run on the Markalon bash-guard. I doubt I could pay you anywhere near enough to make it worth your time. But if you like making them, PM me, and maybe we could work something out.

#18 ·
Fox

What about the Fox Vanilla R? Seems to fit more of your criteria than most if not all of the others you had on the list. Price is in your range (under $400). More bang for the buck than the Marathon, and stiffer too. Can be set up for 100mm now, then switched to 130 when you get a new frame. Reliable, proven, easy to work on, strong enough for aggressive XC to light freeride. Seems to fit the bill.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

#19 ·
Scabby Elbowz said:
Speaking of shiny new bike parts... My big ring is ground down to the nubs, Stefan. Would you consider another production run on the Markalon bash-guard?
Sure! Email me at sdbullock AT comcast DOT net, and I'll let you know the specifics. I need to know, in the mean time, what cranks you're using, what size ring you have (or plan on using - I can just make it to fit a 36t?), and whether you're super hard on stuff and are willing to go buy some extra-long crank bolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.