mtbr member

New question here. Help with JT trails

Thinking of hitting (for the 1st time) the loop from downtown Jamestown ... the one off of Ward street... Now, I have my Lat40 map and have some general clue, but still... a little sage wisdom can't hurt.

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Fun little ride. My suggestions:

Park at the post office in Jamestown (not really any parking on Ward St. itself and the locals aren't fans of cars turning around on the dead end all the time). Ride past the houses on Ward St. and thru the gate. Nice couple miles along the river, you will cross the river and ride up a short hill to another gate. You then have a fork/choice. Go left and its pretty rocky, kinda tech but this time of year it shoudn't be wet so most if not all is rideable. Go right, grunt up the hill as well but its been graded so its just a hill climb.

Once at the top if you stay left (rd 331 I believe) you can ride back down to the other side of Jamestown but most of the downhill is open to 4wd so its pretty rutted and well, you may run into 4wds.

At the top there are also multiple little spur trails and loops, just be aware of potential horseback riders from that little resort outside of Ward (Gold Lake I think), not really well labeled but fairly obvious.

There is also some single track that will take you back down to the first Y, again, not signed but on your left as you ride along 331. Otherwise head back down the way you came after exploring the top, its quite fun as an out and back as well.

TrailCentral does a little write up and reviews: http://www.trailcentral.com/trail/tr...o.php?trail=15, but their directions are to take the 331 back down which is the 4wd route.

Sorry this is a little vague but its kind of a vague trail, I haven't gotten lost up there yet and have done quite a bit of exploring, so have fun! You probably wont run into anyone, or very few. I rarely see anyone up there.

mtbr member

Thanks for the feedback...

Quote Originally Posted by scout
    Fun little ride. My suggestions:

Park at the post office in Jamestown (not really any parking on Ward St. itself and the locals aren't fans of cars turning around on the dead end all the time). Ride past the houses on Ward St. and thru the gate. Nice couple miles along the river, you will cross the river and ride up a short hill to another gate. You then have a fork/choice. Go left and its pretty rocky, kinda tech but this time of year it shoudn't be wet so most if not all is rideable. Go right, grunt up the hill as well but its been graded so its just a hill climb.

Once at the top if you stay left (rd 331 I believe) you can ride back down to the other side of Jamestown but most of the downhill is open to 4wd so its pretty rutted and well, you may run into 4wds.

At the top there are also multiple little spur trails and loops, just be aware of potential horseback riders from that little resort outside of Ward (Gold Lake I think), not really well labeled but fairly obvious.

There is also some single track that will take you back down to the first Y, again, not signed but on your left as you ride along 331. Otherwise head back down the way you came after exploring the top, its quite fun as an out and back as well.

TrailCentral does a little write up and reviews: http://www.trailcentral.com/trail/tr...o.php?trail=15, but their directions are to take the 331 back down which is the 4wd route.

Sorry this is a little vague but its kind of a vague trail, I haven't gotten lost up there yet and have done quite a bit of exploring, so have fun! You probably wont run into anyone, or very few. I rarely see anyone up there.
    Kinda what I figured.... will bring my Lat40 map and a compass!

Any idea how long the "typical" loop takes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just the loop, 2 hours or less. If you play around up top you can spend a good part of a day

mtbr member

I hiked some of this ... with the wife and Young-uns...

Quote Originally Posted by scout
    Just the loop, 2 hours or less. If you play around up top you can spend a good part of a day
    This past SUnday.. to escape the heat of Taco Flats.... not all the way up, but for a few miles... Looks like fun to ride....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Tis quite fun IMO. Doesn't get as much attention because its not true "singletrack" but I'm sure you noticed on your hike the "road" has overgrown quite a bit and there is a one track being formed.
    I used to ride there almost every weekend when I lived in Longmont (good ride with pups, lotsa water). Only been there once this year since moving to Loveland.
    If you want someone to show you around there I'm game on the weekends as long as you don't mind riding with a slow guy and a couple labs.