Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help with forest service trail precedents!!!

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  splitter_66 
#1 ·
I am looking to compile a comprehensive list of examples where the FS (and other agencies) have adopted and legalized trails that were originally user created and/or technically illegal. I know of many offhand, but i would like to compile an official list, with names, places, dates, and even paperwork to back up the legitamacy. I would like to present this to FS brass as solid and concrete examples of how the Mt. Biking community is evolving, and just how significant our volunteer contributions have been to the trail inventory the the FS (and other agencies) oversee. I believe that we are far more powerful and a potential asset to the FS than they even realize, and am looking to back this up with precedent data. If yo know of any trails in your area that fall under this category, from pirate to official, I would love to be able to document it! We can reverse some of the current anti MTB trend if we organise, and present just what power we possibly wield!
Thanks, R

#2 ·
power to ya - unfortunately I don't know of any trials that fall into that category. Just wishing you better luck than I and some friends have had.

--downer alert--
Amongst a good group of people, we went through thousands of hours of volunteer work, hundreds of meetings, lots of surveys etc - all with the promise of the forest service to protect some of the 4x trails we used if we helped out. Did all that was asked and a ton more only to have them say, sorry, still closing them. Since the FS has little funding its easier to close areas than to manage them.

#3 ·
Funny you should be asking for info like this....

rideit said:
I am looking to compile a comprehensive list of examples where the FS (and other agencies) have adopted and legalized trails that were originally user created and/or technically illegal. I know of many offhand, but i would like to compile an official list, with names, places, dates, and even paperwork to back up the legitamacy. I would like to present this to FS brass as solid and concrete examples of how the Mt. Biking community is evolving, and just how significant our volunteer contributions have been to the trail inventory the the FS (and other agencies) oversee. I believe that we are far more powerful and a potential asset to the FS than they even realize, and am looking to back this up with precedent data. If yo know of any trails in your area that fall under this category, from pirate to official, I would love to be able to document it! We can reverse some of the current anti MTB trend if we organise, and present just what power we possibly wield!
Thanks, R
Read this article from today's Rocky Mountain News:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/other_recreation/article/0,2777,DRMN_23950_4896265,00.html

The USFS is working with Boulder Mountainbike Alliance to identify undesignated trails in the Boulder Ranger District that are being used by the public at large and not private stash for locals. If our feedback about a particular trail segment, entire trail, or trail system is that the public is using it, they will put it into the inventory.

Does that mean the stuff we say we aren't riding will go away? No, not immediately, if at all. The USFS has a "Travel Management" process that takes time and resources to conduct, and they limit the scope to a certain geographic area, such as the West Magnolia Trail System south of Nederland. That's the process that looks at the area and decides what 'travel ways' (highway, 2wd road, 4wd road, singletrack) stay and which ones go, what needs to be built, etc. Trails that are already in the inventory have a better chance of staying there, and those not in the inventory have more hurdles to overcome to actually become a designated trail.

Does that mean all the trails we tell the USFS that we ride are going to be put into the inventory? Hail no... some of those trails are in private property, some slice through sensitive ecological resources. But know this, the more we tell the USFS, the more we'll get to keep.

The Boulder Ranger District has spent a lot of resources to GPS EVERYTHING in their district. The days of keeping those renegade trails on the "down low" is coming to a screeching end. They know about these trails, what they don't know is who is riding them.

The Boulder Ranger District is extremely friendly to the mountain bike user group. We don't beat them up during planning process because we want them to be successful. We have partnered extensively to make their trail systems sustainable with our volunteer trail work events. Nobody in Boulder County does more to help the USFS on non-wilderness trails than BMA.

Want to be part of this process? Chime in here...

And if you didn't read the article, you should....

And if you're angered by this development, don't shoot the messenger. BMA is reacting to these changes to get the best possible outcome, but we aren't not making them happen.

#4 ·
Forest Service Goonsquads....

Forest Dis-service Squads Have Been Sanitizing The Trails In Colorado Springs Area. Widening, Buffing, Removing Natural Erosion Preventors ( Rocks) Increasing Water Runoff, Increasing Erosion On Trails That Have Historically Suffered From Very Little Erosion.

The Forest Service Earlier History Was In Fact Focused On Killing And Elimination Of Natural Flora And Fauna....well At Least They Have Retained Their True Colors. Now If They Can't Gain Employment At Mcdonalds, They Hire Up At FORESTdiS-sERVICE AS Trail Exspurts.

Do Your Part...only You Can Prevent Trail Sanitization Either Under Cover Of Night Or Blessed By The Sun Gods.

Peace

#6 ·
CSPRINGS said:
Forest Dis-service Squads Have Been Sanitizing The Trails In Colorado Springs Area. Widening, Buffing, Removing Natural Erosion Preventors ( Rocks) Increasing Water Runoff, Increasing Erosion On Trails That Have Historically Suffered From Very Little Erosion.

The Forest Service Earlier History Was In Fact Focused On Killing And Elimination Of Natural Flora And Fauna....well At Least They Have Retained Their True Colors. Now If They Can't Gain Employment At Mcdonalds, They Hire Up At FORESTdiS-sERVICE AS Trail Exspurts.

Do Your Part...only You Can Prevent Trail Sanitization Either Under Cover Of Night Or Blessed By The Sun Gods.

Peace
Though you might have 1 or 2 decent ideas about how most people building trail don't know what they are doing, the other 97% of what comes out of your mouth is complete horsesh!t.

Maybe you should get a little more training on trailbuilding and then start helping the Circus Service legitimately. Not all trailwork is bad and not all trailwork is good. It takes a forward thinking trailbuilder to know the difference. I get the impression that you neither help, nor know what you are doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.