Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help!!!!!!!!!!

683 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  coolhandluchs 
#1 ·
Hey Ladies/Gents.

I am new & need HELP. I don't know where to post this, but figure: "I live in Colorado, so Coloradans can help me choose a bike."

I have not cycle (since 12-13 years old), but not athletically challenge. I do a lot of hiking, fishing, running, blading, & weight training (4-6 days a week). I'm looking for a different kind of challenge & work-out.

*I would like to know what kind of Bike would be best for the conditions I will be riding them in? To give you an idea where I will be riding. I will be riding in Waterton Canyon, Canyon Road in Boulder, in or around Copper Mountain-Frisco, & of course Broomfield area (Standley Lake).

*What kind of bike (Mtn Bike or Road Bike) & brand? What all will I need?

*Price Range- Anything below $500 & if it's in the $250 even better. :D (some of you might be laughing @ my budget, but I've seen the price tag on some of those bikes- OUCH!)

Thank you in advance-

Tony M.

See less See more
#2 ·
Since you are quite new to the sport, I would recommend visiting a few bike shops. Definitely go to more than just one or two because you notice that opinions vary wildly as to what you need and how much you need to spend.

Right now, your question is the equivalent of asking what type of car you should buy. Obviously, there are countless factors. If you can see the various options and hash out your needs with a knowledgeable employee, you'll have good start as to the direction you need to head in.

Once you have a better idea of what type of bike you need, you can then begin the search for the bike. Given you budget, go used. Try ebay, craiglist and check in all the shops and REI because they often have bulletin boards where people post bikes, etc. for sale.

Hope that helps!

#3 ·
Two basic points:

1) At your price point, if you get a mtn bike, get a hardtail (suspension fork only, no rear suspension). You'll get much better components for the money. For what you're describing, you may want to look at what's called a cyclocross bike. It's basically a beefed up road bike that you can ride on or off pavement. If you get a 'cross bike, you won't have to worry about being tempted by suspension either, but they're more of a niche in the bike world, so you might not be able to find one at your price. Brands to look for are Giant, Haro and Jamis. You can also find good deals on Specialied and Trek if you look around, especially this time of year.

2) Get a bike that fits. Take this very seriously. Test ride every size and model you can before they kick you out of the shop. Bike fit is absolutely the most important part of this sport. If your bike fits, you'll ride it more often and have more fun. If you're not comfy on the bike, you won't ride it and you'll have just wasted $500 or whatever you're spending. The most expensive piece of equipment is the one you don't use.

As far as fitting, you can post your height and other vital stats here and people could make an educated guess, but you're better off going to a bike shop (you'll usually get better customer service at a smaller, bike specific shop) and having them help you. Look for somebody with interesting facial hair, tattoos and usually a somewhat crusty attitude. :p At least find somebody over 25. I've yet to get great info from a high-school kid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.