mtbr member
    May 2008

hello! new to the forums and first question if I may

Hello all! glad to be here and planning on sticking around for a good long time. I was curious if I could get others opinions on picking up used bikes? assuming they are checked over by a knowledgeable person/bike shop would they be a good idea? obviously manufactures warranty would not apply. is it better to play it safe and purchase new? any insight from you guys who have time/experience with this? thanks much and hope to be seeing everyone around!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Used bikes are a GREAT way to get a nice bike. Got my wife's Trance on Craigslist.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Used Bike = No warranty.

Cracked frame can't be that common, but they do happen.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

Living the High Life
    If you have a good mechanic or friend check it over, it can be a great way to save money. Once the bike has gotten dirty, I've heard it said that now its worth only 50% of retail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Used bikes are a GREAT way to get a nice bike. Got my wife's Trance on Craigslist.
    Thanks!

Yeah, there are plenty of good deals to be had on Craigslist, you might try checking the classifieds.
    Last edited by xjtwo; 05-30-2008 at 05:48 AM.
    Whats it like!!!

Yappy little dog!
    Welcome!

Just don't skin your knee or they'll never let you live it down.

I have bought used bikes in the past (my current road bike is a used bike). As long as you check it our VERY closely and don't expect more than what a used bike is (used), you'll have many years of enjoyment until you are ready to step up to new.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Welcome!

Just don't skin your knee or they'll never let you live it down.

I have bought used bikes in the past (my current road bike is a used bike). As long as you check it our VERY closely and don't expect more than what a used bike is (used), you'll have many years of enjoyment until you are ready to step up to new.
    Whatchoo talkin' about? I stepped up to a USED bike.

Probably won't be buying any new bikes any more...

skillz to pay billz
    find one of those people who needs the latest bling every year, and buy last years bling.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    find one of those people who needs the latest bling every year, and buy last years bling.
    Excellent point, some people just NEED this year's crap. Take advantage of that.

Also, not really used, but last year's models in bike shops are always a good option too, then you get a warranty. 1 of my bikes is used, the others are all last year's model purchases.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Agreed! Sadly, I also know guys with $3000 bikes collecting dust in their garrages because they thought they were going to take up riding.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    Agreed! Sadly, I also know guys with $3000 bikes collecting dust in their garrages because they thought they were going to take up riding.
    Talk to me, Jake. I want names and contact information.

I've purchased three bikes used and had good luck will all of them. It's a great way to save pennies. Even better, you aren't shelling out $3000 on a brand new XC bike just to find out that FR is your thing. In other words, it's cheap way to establish a baseline in terms of what type of riding interests you and what geometry you'd like to have on your next bike.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I'd go used if I were you - it's a good idea to take a small flashlight along to inspect the frame. Many cracks aren't visible under indirect lighting.

I purchased a used DH bike 3 years ago and inspected the frame before I paid for it, only to find a crack at the headtube / downtube juncture after looking it over with a flashlight at home the same evening. Fortunately the previous owner was very cool about it and had it taken care of for me, but it is always less stressful to know things are good before you take possession of the bike .
    Now with more vitriol!

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Talk to me, Jake. I want names and contact information.
    Tell me about it ... nevertheless, I keep inviting them on rides in hopes that they'll get back in the saddle. I've even got one of my buddies out twice so far (it was a shame to see a Santa Cruz Nomad covered in dust with two flats!)

Now with 10% more!

I wish

Tell me about it ... nevertheless, I keep inviting them on rides in hopes that they'll get back in the saddle. I've even got one of my buddies out twice so far (it was a shame to see a Santa Cruz Nomad covered in dust with two flats!)
    I wish I had that kind of disposable income.....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks guys! keeping my eyes open. want to make a purchase here relatively soon as the bike I have been riding was definitely not meant for what i am doing with it, lol. are there any other bike shops I am not aware of
    performance bicycle
    bicycle village
    pro cycling
    old town bicycles
    ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixr2
    thanks guys! keeping my eyes open. want to make a purchase here relatively soon as the bike I have been riding was definitely not meant for what i am doing with it, lol. are there any other bike shops I am not aware of
    performance bicycle
    bicycle village
    pro cycling
    old town bicycles
    ?
    If you have any questions about a bike for sale just get on here and ask.
    Check out West Side Cycles

The Fix
    Mojo Wheel
    are some other good options depending on where you live
    SingletrackMind

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am located in the springs. might be picking something up tomorrow! will let you guys know when I do and hopefully someone is willing to take me for some rides and help me out

mtbr member
    Criterium Bicycles has some very helpful and knowledgeable staff and have helped me and numerous friends out with great deals and repairs a number of times. They are my first "go-to" shop when I need a repair that I can't do myself or a part, or have a question.

I also like the folks at Old Towne - they're solid for repairs and have resonable prices... they're close to where I live so it's really convenient. They're running on 100% solar power and that's something I like to support. Along with Criterium they do a lot in the community and I like to support them for that as well.

I've found the folks at Ted's Bicycles are quite nice as well and they've got an EXCELLENT mechanic - I believe his name is James.

I also know that a newer place called Bicycle Experience has a bunch of used stuff and I've heard that they are really nice as well... a buddy is wrenching there in the evenings and he's great.

If I was looking at a new bike I'd go with thema as well as ProCycling - they know their stuff as well...

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    May 2008
    picked up a bike and am so excited! are there any group rides (hopefully less technical ones) that I may join in on? I tried to go to palmer park but could only seem to find uphill trails, or ridiculous leg shattering drop offs, got kinda lost as the sun was going down, lol not good. would love to tag along and learn riding skills and nice trails.

mtbr member
    The guy who works at Ted's Bike Shop who is an excellent mechanic has been very helpful is Rick ... he really knows his stuff. Sorry about that.

Where did you get a bike
    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

Thread Terrorist
    (it was a shame to see a Santa Cruz Nomad covered in dust with two flats!)
    hee hee hee.... this is how my Nomad ends up after a ride