Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    giddy up

To hell with the North Shore

I've been thinking about this for a long time and I just got off the crapper while reading Bike magazine. Every damn photo in there is of some guy riding a ladder or suspended wood "trail" through the dense forest. Is it just me or does this man made crap belong in the woods? It drives me absolute batshit to see that stuff in the backcountry. If Whistler decides to do it, fine but when guys go out and build this stuff on their own it just completely destroys the pristine wilderness. In my opinion that **** just doesn't belong the wilderness.

Thats my daily rant. FYI, I'm suffering from a sinus infection so I'm in a bad mood and screw the canadiens. Except fo the show "The trailer Park Boys". If you havent' seen this, you have search for it on you tube for some clips. I promise it will be the funniest show you've ever seen.

But anyway, to hell with the North shore.

banned
    Wow... that was absolutely idiotic, but you sure do have a right to your convoluted and ignorant opinion.

giddy up
    Is that all you got say harvard? Why is it ignorant?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    Wow... that was absolutely idiotic, but you sure do have a right to your convoluted and ignorant opinion.

ok Sunshine (29Colossus), papawheelie does tell us he is ranting and says it is just his opinion, if you look at what he is saying and read into it... I think I understand what he is getting at, he is looking through his magazine and all he sees are man made trails and obstacles pictures in the wilderness obviously there is more to MT Biking than this and yes he might be embracing his inner "Boulderite" by complaining about the pristine wilderness, but a better response may have been... I understand what you mean about the artificial stuff on the trail, but, by having these artificial constructions on the trail we are being more enviornmentally friendly by not riding through mud or looking for off trail obstacles to entertain ourselves. and yes there could be more pics of trails that are full of rock gardens and obstacles made from nature and rocks maybe they could put more of that in the magazines. but in all seriousness, I hear you man everyone needs a good rant once in awhile
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

banned

OK... wadda want me to say?

skillz to pay billz
    I reckon if that was the wilderness then bikes wouldn't be allowed. Just sayin'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie
    I've been thinking about this for a long time and I just got off the crapper while reading Bike magazine.
    Good intro: Long time thinking on the crapper. What went wrong?

HIKE!
    One man's trail is another man's abomination in the "wilderness" (quotes to show not technical no-bikes-allowed wilderness, but just being out in the woods-type wilderness).

It the extremes that get the press, and the press that sells the advertising, etc. etc. I'm glad to see 40' ladder bridges in ATB magazines. And I'm glad to see Giselle in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issues. It's those extremes that sell! I'm sure that magazines could print more mellow trails, and SI could get the cute girl from the corner video rental joint in the Swimsuit Issue. But why bother!?

Stiff yet compliant
    Get on Google Earth and take a look at the forests in British Columbia. Hardly a "pristine wilderness", more like provincial pattern baldness.
    If people are able to utilize wildlands for recreational uses then they might actually care what happens to them.

giddy up
    IT DOESN'T BELONG.........Staying on a trail - one trail - does not impact the forest. In my opinion, manmade structures do not belong in the pristine forest and I am the last thing from a Boulderite, trust me. I'm a hick from MN who just happens to live close to Boulder but not in it. It doesn't look much better than a quarry defacing the side of a mountain. With all that said, those guys can ride like no one else I ever seen but it doesn't make it right.

Just my opinion.........

slow
    Impressive riders with great skills. Looks like fun. I would prefer to see it kept on private land or within resort areas, however.

P.S. Get wireless internet so you can bring your laptop into the bathroom. That way you can surf here and don't have to read magazines. Cell phone + laptop + wireless internet = no lost productivity time due to bathroom breaks.

i can't type the letter s
    I understand what you mean about the artificial stuff on the trail, but, by having these artificial constructions on the trail we are being more enviornmentally friendly by not riding through mud or looking for off trail obstacles to entertain ourselves. and yes there could be more pics of trails that are full of rock gardens and obstacles made from nature and rocks maybe they could put more of that in the magazines.

should know better.....
    I'm tired of seeing about 80% of the photos in Bike being from BC. after a while it's all the same. Yes, it's crazy good skill and lush and beautiful, but honestly, how many of those shots have we seen?

!Vamos, flaco!
    This reminds me of how all photos in skateboarding magazines used to be from southern California, as if there were no good spots elsewhere.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    You mean you want them to try harder and actually do some research?

I heart the drops
    I want to see more heart rate monitors and team color spandex
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus

I think I know what papawheelie is getting at.

The original reason the ladders/elevated trails were built in BC was because the area is like a rainforest. Always swampy and wet. In order for the locals to be able to ride the stuff, they had to build over some of the areas without drainage or that just stayed wet. Those evolved into the stunts and ladders we see and ride today. And I agree, that in backcountry areas that are not like BC don't need it. But, there is a place for those things. A perfect example is here in Colorado Springs and what they've got going on at Red Rock Canyon park. Perfect execution of stunts and ladders. There used to be some contraband stuff up near Jones' park (could still be there, I don't know) but it was crap. So, done right and in the right spot, it is fine, but stuff in the backcountry doesn't belong. There is way more than enough natural stuff to keep people happy.

giddy up
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Fubar Rider
    I think I know what papawheelie is getting at.

The original reason the ladders/elevated trails were built in BC was because the area is like a rainforest. Always swampy and wet. In order for the locals to be able to ride the stuff, they had to build over some of the areas without drainage or that just stayed wet. Those evolved into the stunts and ladders we see and ride today. And I agree, that in backcountry areas that are not like BC don't need it. But, there is a place for those things. A perfect example is here in Colorado Springs and what they've got going on at Red Rock Canyon park. Perfect execution of stunts and ladders. There used to be some contraband stuff up near Jones' park (could still be there, I don't know) but it was crap. So, done right and in the right spot, it is fine, but stuff in the backcountry doesn't belong. There is way more than enough natural stuff to keep people happy.
    That is exactly correct, put it in if it serves some sort of purpose like rolling over a swampy or delicate piece of land. But now they have these 20 foot drops and curvy ramps which look like a blast to ride but leave it natural wherever possible.

giddy up
    Another good point, every photo in that damn magazine is from BC. I think its time to start publishing another mag with photos all around the US. The one thing I do like about Bike is that it celebrates riding a bike, not really racing so much (say as Velosnooze) but it would be nice to see some stuff that we here in the US have ridden or could possibly get in our car and make a road trip.

Oh well, today is Superbowl Sunday and its time to stop *****in and get pedalin. i heard 44F here in the front range of beautiful Colorado US of A.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    IMO if it's public land it's up to the discretion of local land management. I presume that the local land managers approve what sort of trail building goes on in those forests?

mtbr member
    If you don't like North Shore riding, then don't go ride there. Simple. I've never been, but it's on the list of places I'd like to ride before I die.

I can see what people mean about the predominance of NS freeride pictures in the mags, but if that was a reason to damn the entire region and riding style, Moab would've been off limits for the past 20 years.

friend of Apex
    I agree. All that unnatural WOOD should not be in the FOREST.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

friend of Apex

Our own magazine?

Do you think a magazine would sell if it had a bunch of cross country riders gettin hammed on Micros after a sweet day in Buff Creek on the cover?
    Maybe some articles about shuttling Apex, and a few stories about how to see the aspens along the stash spots along Colorado trail, like Kenosh.

We could call it FrontRangers
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Just quit reading the garbage and go for the underdog, up and coming...

[SIZE=-1]www.mountainflyer.com/

[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Jdub; 02-03-2008 at 03:35 PM.

~~~~~~~~
    you're saying to hell with the north shore.... have you ever actually ridden there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast