mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Heil on a Sunday

I got there early hoping to beat the crowds and weather. I beat the weather but hit the crowds who thankfully were all good natured hikers and bikers...and llamas.

They seem to be almost completely re-aligning Wapiti and parts of Ponderosa. According to a trail patrol guy I ran into the trails in question were built half-azz originally and now are being re-aligned and massaged into 2009 standards. Personally, I thought the original trail was fine. Why not just do 1/2 the work and build another connector from the northwest link of Ponderosa, skirting the land that's off limits to the west, down to Wapiti. Less work, more trail. He said they're not gonna touch Wild Turkey which was built later to "modern" standards.

I rode for awhile with a guy on his first trip to Heil so he had no idea that Wapiti's present torn up status just happened in the past few weeks. He said "was it this rocky before?" Well, yeah, rocky but ok. We'd ride the new cut a few feet away from the old and I kept wondering "what's being improved here?"

Anyway, here's the trip from Westminster up to Heil. A herd of cattle were strolling along the road to the trailhead. Mommas and many calves. I wasn't about to ride between a momma and her kids so I kept yelling "Git git git over there off the road". That finally worked and I was on my way. And there were llamas on the trail as well.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Rolling
    They are probably having to rebuild the "half-azz" section that I built.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    They are probably having to rebuild the "half-azz" section that I built.
    "Half-azz" was just my interpretation of what was described as "primitive trail building" or however he described it. It has something to do with sight lines, interconnecting bikers and hikers, drainage, angle of the trail...the guy sounded convinced that the re-alignments are necessary for Heil to be a "modern" trail but, like I said, riding side by side with new cut/former trail I just couldn't see what the improvements were going to be. Of course, the new cut is a work in early progress.

Looks like they're putting in a bunch more of those stoned over areas like on Wild Turkey. Last time I rode Heil, before any "improving" had begun I didn't think any of it needed work. Oh well

My vote is for new trail like this crude drawing of mine:
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Rolling
    Honesty I haven't ridden the Wapiti section since Picture Rock Opened. Some major changes are needed on Wapiti to make it interesting Your rendition would definitely add some steepness to the trail.

Shread Ready
    Yeah, Heil doesn't really excite me all that much. I do really enjoy the part where your on top by the Bench and you get to haul ass down that nice smooth fast section. I usually end up taking the Turkey Creek trail to that section when I do Picture Rock. I did Mt Falcon today and aside from trying to figure out what the heck was causing my high climbing gear to make a bunch of noise and rub against my front derailleur I had a great ride. I found out all four bolts holding my Small sprocket ring were very loose half way up. Lucky for me the guy right behind me lent me a allen wrench. After tightening it up things were much better. I was surprised how few people got in the way today seeing as the parking lot was totally full and I had to park a ways up the road. This was at 10:30. Great day though early on.

Pretty much have to have a FS for most of Heil. Nice pictures. What kind of camera and settings?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher
    Yeah, Heil doesn't really excite me all that much. I do really enjoy the part where your on top by the Bench and you get to haul ass down that nice smooth fast section. I usually end up taking the Turkey Creek trail to that section when I do Picture Rock. I did Mt Falcon today and aside from trying to figure out what the heck was causing my high climbing gear to make a bunch of noise and rub against my front derailleur I had a great ride. I found out all four bolts holding my Small sprocket ring were very loose half way up. Lucky for me the guy right behind me lent me a allen wrench. After tightening it up things were much better. I was surprised how few people got in the way today seeing as the parking lot was totally full and I had to park a ways up the road. This was at 10:30. Great day though early on.

Pretty much have to have a FS for most of Heil. Nice pictures. What kind of camera and settings?
    Nikon D40 set on P. I just used it as a point and shoot. Settings are straight from Ken Rockwells D40 guide (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40...uide/index.htm)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I was helping re-tread the upper part of the wapiti loop saturday and(at least the part me and my buddy worked on) the trail seams much better, smoother more twists and all around more fun than it was before. Yes it's not far off from the original trail but the trail will be more sustainable and much smoother than before.

Before I wouldn't ride my rigid bike on heil, FS only way to go, but now I think it will be fun for the rigid crowd as well.