Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ride

Heil Ranch will open Friday November 8

On Friday, 11/8, Heil Ranch will OPEN to the public. Access will be via Picture Rock only, as Geer Canyon is still closed.

Hall is still closed. From what we here, the trails at Hall are in good shape, but the roads are not. There is still a ton of activity rebuilding highway 7 and CDOT would prefer to keep folks away from the construction traffic. On the Antelope side of Hall, Town of Lyons will be working near Apple Valley road relaying water and sewer lines. Access to Hall might be a while yet so please be patient.

When you come up to ride Heil (or Hall when that opens), please stop in town for a cup of coffee, a glass of beer or food or stop in the bike shop to say hi. The town's economy is very dependent on recreation and, well, the town is kinda hurting right now. We need all the help we can get

Any questions about Hall or Heil or LYons, feel free to ask.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Awesome

{{{{{good vibes}}}}}
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

a dad
    Jan 2004
    How does one access it from picture rock, haven't been to that trailhead..

thanks in advance, looking forward to spending some money in Lyons and hoping everyone can get back to normal, I am sure its been a struggle.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

ride
    Lyons-> Hwy7-> L on Old South St Vrain Rd-> L on Red Gulch Rd-> trailhead on the right after S turn.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Dave- is it still possible to park near the pedestrian bridge off Hwy 66 (where all the kayak stuff goes on) and ride through Bohn Park to get there, or is that closed off? I thought I remember seeing that bridge survived the flood damage.

ride
    That area no longer exists, unfortunately. YOu will have to park in town or at the trailhead. People are always welcome to park at Redstone as well.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Damn. First time back up there I'm going to have to spend some time riding around town and getting used to the new Lyons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Dave, is 34 open from Boulder to Lyons? Guess I could try it but the two previous times I tried I was turned back at Left Hand Canyon.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010

Is Picture Rock open now?

.mobile

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Geek, did you read the original post?

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Is Picture Rock open now?
    I will reiterate - Heil Ranch will open Friday Nov 8. Picture Rock is the furthest north trail at Heil Ranch and will be the only way to access Heil for the near future.

XCguy - that's 36 from Boulder to Lyons. There is a stoplight at Left Hand Canyon because it's 1 lane road there.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Thanks for clarifying. I never considered Picture Rock as part of the Heil Ranch system, so that's not open til 11/08 as well. Thanks again!

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    Sorry for my confusion..
    For some reason I always think of the LHC side being "Heil" (i.e Wapiti).
    I always thought of the other side as "Picture Rock".
    I now understand the entire thing is Heil and Picture Rock falls within.

cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Sorry for my confusion..
    For some reason I always think of the LHC side being "Heil" (i.e Wapiti).
    I always thought of the other side as "Picture Rock".
    I now understand the entire thing is Heil and Picture Rock falls within.

cheers
    Me, too.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

ride
    Bump. Heil opens tomorrow! The OB Bonewagon will be at Redstone Cyclery serving up burgers from 3-7. We're even going to have a fire pit for happy hour. Come on by!
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

lucky enough
    I'll stop by after my ride at least. Probably ride around noonish.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

kgm
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Sounds good! Where is Redstone located? I've never been.

mtbr member
    Does the linky work? Basically, if you have driven to Hall Ranch from Hwy 66, you have passed right by it. In "downtown" Lyons, just after the split where the road becomes one way, it's no more than 1/4 mile further west, on your left.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...d=0CKcBEPwSMA0
    My brain's living room is my stomach.

mtbr member
    I've never been to Heil or Redstone, but, since I like the idea of helping out in Lyons' recovery, I just might have to make a trip up there tomorrow. I know nothing about Heil except for its location. I consider myself a novice and am worried about getting in over my head. Since I'm a creature of habit I tend to stick to the places I know and have enjoyed riding, i.e., ntm, buffalo creek (shinglemill, morrison, baldy, gashouse, homestead, charlies, sandy wash), ridgeline, dirty bismarck loop and other south boulder trails, and centennial cone. Am I going to be in over my head at Heil? If not, any suggested routes?

Now older but less slow!

If you ride buff creek then you won't be over your head at Heil.

The main difference is that as you climb it gets rockier towards the top. However with the trail work that BMA have been doing it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wicket- depending on how far you want to ride... the climb to the top of the Picture Rock trail itself is 5.5 miles with a little over 1k vertical, so that would make it an 11 mile r/t ride. If you want to add another ~4 miles, you can head either direction on Wild Turkey and make a loop. Like Normsk said, the higher you go the rockier it gets.

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    ...and if you finish Wild Turkey and want some more don't forget the Ponderosa Loop

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicket? View Post
    I've never been to Heil or Redstone, but, since I like the idea of helping out in Lyons' recovery, I just might have to make a trip up there tomorrow. I know nothing about Heil except for its location. I consider myself a novice and am worried about getting in over my head. Since I'm a creature of habit I tend to stick to the places I know and have enjoyed riding, i.e., ntm, buffalo creek (shinglemill, morrison, baldy, gashouse, homestead, charlies, sandy wash), ridgeline, dirty bismarck loop and other south boulder trails, and centennial cone. Am I going to be in over my head at Heil? If not, any suggested routes?
    As already noted, if you're riding those trails you'll be fine. It is harder than the South Boulder trails, but OTOH doesn't have anything as techy as the little section by the bridge on Community Ditch (east side). And probably nothing more techy than Buff Creek, though the top part has longer sections of medium technical stuff than Buff Creek. And also as noted, not suggested routes needed. Park at TH, ride up Picture Rock. If you get to the junction with Wild Turkey at the top and still want more, you can do a small lollipop or a bigger one (neither is very big).

You'll have fun, enjoy!

Edit: here's a map and elevation profile.

ride
    Be prepared for a rockier experience on Wild Turkey and Ponderosa. Little bit less topsoil up there now! There's also a couple muddy spots on Picture Rock. If everyone rides thru them like they should, they will dry out very shortly. It's on, woot!
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just got back from a quick ride... Picture Rock is in great shape. There are a few wet stretches, but virtually no mud. Other than the meadow section below the old silo where there's a temporary re-route, the trail is virtually untouched. It was a little crowded this afternoon but not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

It's incredible to see the destruction in Lyons first-hand. Wow. Support Lyons businesses all you can, they are certainly going to need it over the next several months.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast