Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Heckuva day at Sol Vista

If a picture is worth a thousand words, an elevation profile is hopefully a good excuse for not taking a single picture all day. We had a riot at Sol Vista on Saturday hitting all of the trails multiple times (5 runs on Silky alone). Props to Sol Vista for really stepping it up! That place is amazing!

I'm with stupid
    Nice, you will have to tell me about it on the ride tomorrow.

..ouch
    It would appear that a PBR break occurred around mile 32.

percocet pioneer.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    if that was my graph you'd see a PBR break at mile 0, 4, 8, 12.....12, 16.

hehe ...you said "member"
    I was thinking the exact same thing
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Actually, they shut the lift down for a wedding so that was some pump track action (and a beer) while waiting for them to re-open. You can actually see the real breaks when the "valley" dips a little deeper (into the brown section).

Living the High Life
    SV is only 750 vertical? I thought it was 1k.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    SV is only 750 vertical? I thought it was 1k.
    My GPS seems to think 750 feet. It's not the most accurate thing in the world (in fact, the feet ascended was 17,000, and descended was only 15,900), but the peaks and valleys are pretty consistant at 750 so I would guess that to be pretty close.

Living the High Life
    I'd think the GPS was fairly close. Probably rounding up, Vail, Keystone, WP are all 1,500+ so it looks bad to be 1/2 that size.

But Sol Vista still has the best jumps and race style runs.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I'd think the GPS was fairly close. Probably rounding up, Vail, Keystone, WP are all 1,500+ so it looks bad to be 1/2 that size.

But Sol Vista still has the best jumps and race style runs.
    Yeah, but the shorter runs are actually kinda nice--just when your arms are starting to pump up, you're back at the lift for an 8 minute break. It's a lot easier to do top to bottom runs all day long at SV than it is at Keystone. Of course, it would be a different animal if you had to wait 30 minutes in a lift line every run--luckly that isn't the case.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I second the idea that at SV, just about the point where your arms pump to Painville, the run ends. "Only" 750 feet of vertical works out just fine.

We went Sunday and had an absolute blast. Silky Johnson over and over, with a few others thrown in for good measure.

The trails are in spectacular condition. GO!

With all that said, the traffic coming back *sucked* as usual. I hate that you have to choose between rolling out of bed way earlier than you want or getting stuck in traffic. It seems like there ought to be somewhere on the Front Range with a couple hundred acres and 750 feet of vertical so we don't have to spend 2.5 hours getting home.

Spare me the Apex jokes now, please.

ONE WORD: GRAVITY
    SV is amazing right now. had a great shred session on friday

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    I second the idea that at SV, just about the point where your arms pump to Painville, the run ends.
    Get in better shape? I never get arm pump at SV.

ONE WORD: GRAVITY
    agreed! i dont get any either. do 10 runs at keystone back to back and that is what you call arm pump. haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I'm working on it. The combination of being 50 y.o. and working an office job with keyboards for over 25 years has conspired to make me a wimp. Look me up when you are 50 and talk to me about getting in shape.

My son's bike has Hayes Stroker Ace brakes, and I don't have the problem on his bike. I think replacing my old Hayes 9's might help, too. I've been holding off because then I would lose my excuse.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Pics or it didn't happen!!

mtbr member
    I'm working on it. The combination of being 50 y.o. and working an office job with keyboards for over 25 years has conspired to make me a wimp. Look me up when you are 50 and talk to me about getting in shape.

My son's bike has Hayes Stroker Ace brakes, and I don't have the problem on his bike. I think replacing my old Hayes 9's might help, too. I've been holding off because then I would lose my excuse.
    Upgrading your brakes will help loads, some Juicy's or Elixirs will be a great upgrade. Also, make sure your levers make contact closer to the bars, almost hitting when fully pulled. This will also help greatly.

I was also out there Sunday, what a freaking blast, 14 runs, only 2 were on Silky, the rest were on National & the other expert trails. Jumps were in great shape, road gaps too. man I love that place! Helped quite a bit riding with / following 2 pro's all day, made this 47 year old grin ear to ear all day, nothing like hitting gaps & jumps full pinned!

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    How far is your engagement point away from the bars? If it's not close now, adjust the reach so they enage closer--that will help. I had Hayes 9s for years and bought some Codes about 3 years ago--huge difference!

That being said, I'm in ok shape but I was starting to fade about run 18 on Saturday. It wasn't "arm pump" per say, but more of a general tiredness in my upper body. It was nice to be able to take another run and know that it was only going to be < 10 minutes to get back down--I might not have taken those last two runs if I had to commit to a 2,200 foot descent down Keystone.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Maestro
    Pics or it didn't happen!!
    Paul had his GoPro so we should see some video at some point.

Living the High Life
    I just turned 30 so we'll see.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    I agree, it was a great day. Sometimes I am sad that the season is so short and the race season takes me away from SV.
    Proud to race for Mojo Wheels