Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: headphone Q'

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: keithfoco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    28

    headphone Q'

    what are your favorite headphone/earbuds for riding?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13
    I got a pair of these and they are super comfy. I haven't had any issues with them falling out or bothering me during long rides. If you go to Runners Roost, they can even measure your ear to make sure you get the right size. The sound quality is pretty good as well.

    http://www.yurbuds.com/ybcart/ironman-earphones

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: keithfoco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    28
    i might go try those out. thanks!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    444
    Wear whatever kind you like (I recommend some Beats by Dr. Dre) just don't be completely startled and freaked out when someone rolls up on you quietly.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    139
    I have these as well. They also seem to give you better ability to hear what's going on around you better than other buds. Still wouldn't use them anywhere you're going to run into alot of other trail users.

  6. #6
    Chronic 1st-timer
    Reputation: lubes17319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,067

    Gotta get the noise-cancelling type to cancel out the sounds of others around you, especially those pesky MTB-ers that wanna ruin your ride by ringing bells or yelling that they want to pass.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,215
    None.

    Best not to eliminate one of your senses while riding. You have them all for a reason. Consider it a blessing you're not deaf. Your situational awareness drops a ton when you can't hear.

    I don't know about everyone else, but I mountain bike to get away from technology and noise. That's the point of riding in the mountains or the woods. I only rock music on bike-paths.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,188

    Normal earbuds don't stay in for me

    These stay in well because they rest against your earlobe and don't block much outside noise but I still only wear one on road or off so I can hear really well.
    http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX67B-Cu.../dp/B003AIL2F6
    2 wheels

  9. #9
    Dude...
    Reputation: ebry74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    None.

    Best not to eliminate one of your senses while riding. You have them all for a reason. Consider it a blessing you're not deaf. Your situational awareness drops a ton when you can't hear.

    I don't know about everyone else, but I mountain bike to get away from technology and noise. That's the point of riding in the mountains or the woods. I only rock music on bike-paths.
    I don't think the OP was looking to debate the merits of riding with or without headphones. Simply wanted to know what headphones, for those that do like riding while listening to music, like to wear. Just b/c someone likes to ride with headphones doesn't mean they can't hear. I like riding with headphones if I'm riding solo, especially on longer rides. Keeps me from getting song versus stuck in my head that I repeat over and over again. Maybe I'm just such a great rider that even a big drop in my "situational awareness" doesn't cause me to suck. I mountain bike b/c I like to bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Its amazing how easy somebody can make 10.000 posts making such stupid comments.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Comrade K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    192
    What Baecker said.

  11. #11
    This place is wasteland
    Reputation: guacamole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    None.

    Best not to eliminate one of your senses while riding. You have them all for a reason. Consider it a blessing you're not deaf. Your situational awareness drops a ton when you can't hear.

    I don't know about everyone else, but I mountain bike to get away from technology and noise. That's the point of riding in the mountains or the woods.
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    I only rock music on bike-paths.
    -1
    (only because I have been commuting on my bike recently and passing the oblivious is dangerous)

  12. #12
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,253
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole

    (only because I have been commuting on my bike recently and passing the oblivious is dangerous)
    I disagree - passing the oblivious is often times safe than getting their attention. I don't tell people I'm passing any more on bike paths. It causes more problems in my experience...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    None.

    Best not to eliminate one of your senses while riding. You have them all for a reason. Consider it a blessing you're not deaf. Your situational awareness drops a ton when you can't hear.

    I don't know about everyone else, but I mountain bike to get away from technology and noise. That's the point of riding in the mountains or the woods. I only rock music on bike-paths.

    Your logic is flawed my friend.

  14. #14
    Rigid in Evergreen
    Reputation: topmounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    None.

    Best not to eliminate one of your senses while riding. You have them all for a reason. Consider it a blessing you're not deaf. Your situational awareness drops a ton when you can't hear.

    I don't know about everyone else, but I mountain bike to get away from technology and noise. That's the point of riding in the mountains or the woods. I only rock music on bike-paths.


    I quit rocking the headphones on the mountain bike after I learned from some friendly hikers that I had just missed out on my first close encounter with a bear.

    Besides, I get tired of yelling at tuned-out hikers, bikers, dog walkers and trail runners when I'm trying to pass and I simply don't want to become the very thing that I despise.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I disagree - passing the oblivious is often times safe than getting their attention. I don't tell people I'm passing any more on bike paths. It causes more problems in my experience...
    You mean the "Whoa! You're on my left, so I'm going to turn my head around and veer into the left part of the bike path while you try to pass" reaction? Most of them react as if they've just been involved in a near fatal collision.

    As far as the trail goes, it's amazing how oblivious some folks are even when they are NOT wearing headphones. I mean between the chain slap, my gasping for air, and miscellaneous squeaks coming from my bike, it's amazing that I have to ask for permission on the trail as much as I do.

  16. #16
    imaorobbie
    Guest
    For one it is illegal to wear headphones and ride a bike (just as it is illegal to do so in a car; a bike is a vehicle and riders must obey the rules for vehicles); secondly, not using an audible signal when passing on a multi-use path is illegal (and bad manners). If you're having issues with alerting people on the paths, I suggest, alerting them sooner, or get a bell (I know that a bell on a multi-thousand dollar road bike is ridiculous, but good common sense). Lastly, the hearing loss of an entire generation is going to great fun to deal with. And really, with headphones in you can't hear the meadowlarks, chickadees, flickers, sparrows, finches, blue jays (three different types), mule deer, coyotes, elk, fox, squirrels, chipmunks, the wind, the bike, the music that is the world. As good as his beats are, Dr. Dre's beats can never touch the beats of a 13.5 Ga burst of energy.

    Or there is this product.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hungryhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by imaorobbie
    Lastly, the hearing loss of an entire generation is going to great fun to deal with.
    wow this dude is worrying about an entire generation. I have enough problems worrying about myself.

    I am in the market for some bluetooth headphones without earbuds (I am looking for something comparable to the headphones apple makes but with bluetooth with a good microphone) - I'd also like to hear any recommendations...must be a2dp stereo(droid x - if it makes a difference)

  18. #18
    imaorobbie
    Guest
    I forgot my take on the best headphones: get the cheapest ones, because when they get wrapped around your read hub it won't be so hard on the wallet.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hungryhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by imaorobbie
    I forgot my take on the best headphones: get the cheapest ones, because when they get wrapped around your read hub it won't be so hard on the wallet.
    not a problem if you have bluetooth

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    444
    It may be illegal, but is anyone worried about actually getting a ticket? Please..

    I rarely ride with headphones, but when I do, I certainly don't miss all the squirrel and wind noise.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    550
    I wear headphones to drown out the sounds of the meadowlarks, chickadees, flickers, sparrows, finches, blue jays (three different types), mule deer, coyotes, elk, fox, squirrels, chipmunks, and the wind. Can't stand it when the deafening sound of mule deer is so bad that I can't even hear my new Katty Perry album.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: keithfoco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    28
    to clarify a few things here:

    i am 40 years old and have quite a bit of life experience to go around.

    I am aware that wearing headphones is technically illegal while riding a bike or driving a car. I am concerned, but I feel that there are times when I can do it and not cause harm to me or anyone else- like yesterday.

    I fall into the line of thinking that sometimes ringing a bell or saying, "on your left" can cause bigger problems than not saying anything. I try to judge the best I can right up until I am going to do it. I usually find the best answer at the last second. Knock on wood, I havent had anything really bad happen yet, but there is a lot of time in this life left...

    Is wearing headphones while walking on the bike trails illegal? I am not a guy to want a law for every little thing, but it is risky either way. I think some common sense is needed in these situations. sometimes it takes an accident for someone to change their mind on things. usually the headphone wearing person is not jacking around like most others are and find that they are usually the safest ones on the trails.

    I usually dont wear headphones while riding. I recently found myself unemployed and able to ride during the weekday when the trails in foco are prectically empty. the thought of a mountain lion or bear encounter has popped into my mind and I just hope that I can reach the pepper spray in time!!! Have you ever heard of any biker being attacked on their bike by any wildlife? I have seen a few mountain lions and a bear or two while riding and have never had one even look like it cares one way or the other. the only time i hear about them attack is when little kids are walking on the trails. poor little guys are just waiting to get snatched up if you ask me. thankfully my kids are getting bigger and hopefully wont be prone to being snatched up. Another reason why I carry pepper spray everytime I am out.

    So, I want to wear some earbuds to listen to some music every once in a while, on deserted paths. sue me. I am not a complete idiot and if the conditions are too crazy to wear them, I will not wear them. that has happened before.

    I am not really worried about hearing loss because I take good care to keep the volume low. I am a mechanic for heavens sake, so I have been through some loud crap and I still have 99% of my hearing.


    As for the advice for not wearing any..I am well aware of the obvious problems with wearing them, but again, I dont crank it really loud so everything is not blocked out completely. I am just looking for something that will stay in the ears while being bounced around. I like the idea of the ironman yurbuds. sound like they might be the ticket

    I really, really want some beats headphones, but I dont think they are going to workout for riding. I need something small and discreet to fly around with. I am kindof a weight weenie!!!

    I had a neighbor who was jamming to some cool song in her car while speeding and T-boned a cop responding to an emergency. not good. she got pimp-slapped hard-core by the judge. that is another reason why i dont even crank the tunes in the car.

    thanks agaiin for everyone's advice and concern.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    540
    20 years riding the front range trails with headphones and have never had an issue communicating with other users from the lack of situational awareness. Never had a ticket. Never had them wrap around my hub.

    Common sense, if there is a $hit ton of people on the trail, I leave them off or just one side in. Morning 4 hour solo ride at BC = dubstep at 11. It's so loud the deer and squirrels run for their lives.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: keithfoco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    28
    katy perry rocks!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by imaorobbie
    Or there is this product.
    Because spreading your noise all over the trail is better than keeping it to yourself...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •