Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Heading out to Breck/Keystone this Thur, Fri, Sat; where to ride?

My buddy and I are heading out this week from Miami. He rides a Trek Fuel and I ride a Giant Reign. Last July we rode Peaks to Lake from Breck into Frisco and couldn't stop grinning.

Since we have 3 days to kill, we could use some serious ideas. Peaks is a given, but where else? I've been told somewhere up on Boreas Pass... Would even be willing to car shuttle with someone if possible one day.

Also, what do you guys recommend for us to rent? Looking at Yeti or Santa Cruz 26er or 29er from Avalanche Sports. Everybody down here loves 29ers but then again there isnt a single descent longer than 20 feet down here and lots of rooty/rocky trails where the 29ers shine... I'd lije to test ride a 29er but want also want the proper bike. No I dont plan on jumping 20 ft gaps but I have no issue jumping moderate stuff.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    08 Specialized StumpJumper
    11 Giant Reign (converted to 27.5)
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hate to rain on your parade but we got a lot of snow this Spring, trails are just starting to clear but are likely still pretty muddy and/or snowy at any higher elevation. Peaks is probably clear but you may want to consider heading further West or East back to the front range. I cant say much b/c I havent ridden in Summit County yet this year, but I can tell you that I was still skiing last weekend off of Loveland Pass.

Maybe try and ride Buffalo Creek or head over to Eagle.

gotta get up to get down
    the tiger road loop of the colorado trail is clear, got up to 11k ft on Saturday w/o any mud/snow problems

mtbr member
    Yeah the lower trails in Breck are in good shape. Did a 40 mile loop up there yesterday....very little mud.

mtbr member
    Keystone Ranch trails, Keystone bike park, and Boreas are all good to go as well. There's plenty of riding to be had in Summit at the moment and it's melting pretty quick. There is still snow up really high but you'll still be busy for three days riding. There's plenty of 29'er worthy trails as well. Avalanche sports is a good choice for 29'er rentals for Breck trails and Keystone Sports is a good bet for DH if you decide to ride the mountain. I work in Breck so PM me if you wan't a bit more info
    You only crashed because you weren't going fast enough

mtbr member
    What trails did you get in?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    More stuff is dry than is not right now. It's been pretty warm and dry in June so far. The really high stuff is still snowed in but most of the stuff below 11,000' is fine. A few exceptions are: Little French. Checked it out on Friday and it's still snowy past the creek crossing. Spruce Creek trail as of Thursday still had snow drifts, mud and flowing water. Bakers tank and Pride; Haven't been that way or heard anything on it for almost a week but it was pretty wet and muddy then.

You may hit some muddy spots where runoff is seeping up through the ground. Please walk or ride through and not around. Help keep the singletrack single.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by claystrick View Post
    What trails did you get in?
    Parked at Gold Hill:
    Colorado Trail > Hippo > Soda Creek > Soda Ridge > Aqueduct > May Trail > Blair Witch > Dredge Boat > Tiger Run > Discovery Ridge > Gold Run > Prospector > Minnie Mine > X10U8 > B&B > V3 > Barney Ford > Moonstone > Carter Park > Peaks > Miners Creek.

Think I have most of the names right.....they have some trail signs out there now, so actually can put a name to trails I have been riding up there for a while now.

Colorado
    Do yourself a favor and skip Peaks trail. I don't get why that's so popular. There are so many better trails in the area where you can actually ride your bike and not deal with hikers/children/dogs every 50 feet.

Why visit Summit County just to ride a Front Range style trail?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    Do yourself a favor and skip Peaks trail. I don't get why that's so popular. There are so many better trails in the area where you can actually ride your bike and not deal with hikers/children/dogs every 50 feet.

Peaks is only like that near the Frisco and Breckenridge trailheads on weekends. Once you get a half mile or so past them you see very few people except an occasional biker or trail runner and for the most part everyone seems to get along. There's very little of the FR style aggro "get out of my way" vibe on even the most heavily used trails in Summit. In my experience the Westridge loop of the CT is worse in that sense than the peaks and even there people treat each other pretty well.

ride
    I agree. And i rode Peaks this morning. Saw only 3 or 4 people and ripped it. Super fast and fun.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Please give me a few suggestions of where else to ride. I don't mind skipping it but I just don't know where else to go? Similar is good. Someone had suggested I ride into Como from Boreas Pass, but that requires me to have 2 cars bc I don't want to bike back up to Boreas Pass (don't have the lungs or stamina at this moment coming from FL). I also read hitting up Colorado Trail/Tiger Rd.

I, personally, enjoy Peaks bc it offers just about everything and allows you climb and descend without the need for a 24lb XC bike or full face helmet/body armor. Then just grab lunch in Frisco and hit another trail... Coming from FLAT South Florida you can't blame me for loving Peaks.
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie View Post
    Please give me a few suggestions of where else to ride. I don't mind skipping it but I just don't know where else to go? Similar is good. Someone had suggested I ride into Como from Boreas Pass, but that requires me to have 2 cars bc I don't want to bike back up to Boreas Pass (don't have the lungs or stamina at this moment coming from FL). I also read hitting up Colorado Trail/Tiger Rd.

I, personally, enjoy Peaks bc it offers just about everything and allows you climb and descend without the need for a 24lb XC bike or full face helmet/body armor. Then just grab lunch in Frisco and hit another trail... Coming from FLAT South Florida you can't blame me for loving Peaks.
    There's nothing wrong with the peaks and Drop the seat is, IMO, a bit off on his assessment. There are a lot of loops on the Breck town trails you can do that don't have a ton of hard climbing. Go to the towns website Town of Breckenridge : Trail Maps to get an idea.

If ou want to go to the trail system between Horseshoe gulch (Dredge TH) and Keystone I'd suggest rather than doing the North fork of the Swan/Dredge loop, which has a pretty tough climb, do the CT/Red trail/Hay trail loop. The climbing isn't easy, but it is easier and shorter than a lot of other stuff, If you want to add on to that you can do Blair Witch or head west on the CT to the Tiger Rn RV park and ride Tiger Rd back to the dredge. The map on the posted link has all those trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

If the CO trail is pretty dry then tiger road is a great choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re: Heading out to Breck/Keystone this Thur, Fri, Sat; where to ride?

Do we rent Yeti SB66 or SB95 or Santa Cruz Tallboy LT?

02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

gotta get up to get down
    Quote Originally Posted by richccc View Post
    If the CO trail is pretty dry then tiger road is a great choice.
    the tiger rd. section of CO trail is dry, did it last saturday. 2nd time on it, some of the best trail riding I've ever done

Heading out to Breck/Keystone this Thur, Fri, Sat; where to ride?-swoopy_mtn.jpgHeading out to Breck/Keystone this Thur, Fri, Sat; where to ride?-bike_turn.jpgHeading out to Breck/Keystone this Thur, Fri, Sat; where to ride?-yup.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heading out to Breck/Keystone this Thur, Fri, Sat; where to ride?-hbars_sun.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p_DuBs View Post
    the tiger rd. section of CO trail is dry, did it last saturday. 2nd time on it, some of the best trail riding I've ever done
    i know it is too early, but what is the preferred way to get up to georgia pass? tiger road>south swan road or climb colorado trail?
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Rode Peaks > Gold Hill > Colo Tr > Tiger Rd. > Gold Run > Upper Flume this past weekend and it was pretty much 100%. A couple wet spots on Gold Hill. Great Loop.
    Even accidentally found a local freeride stash by following moto tracks instead of the trail.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    used to hate on the peaks trail, not sure why, not any more though

I saw some of the best azz in my life on the peaks trail this weekend, chicks riding, babes hiking, hotties running, got a kink in my neck from having to check it all out. I think I drooled the whole way back to breck

thumbs up all the way!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    i know it is too early, but what is the preferred way to get up to georgia pass? tiger road>south swan road or climb colorado trail?
    TSA (thats me, the top secret authority) knows the way, cash, grass, or azz (provided your a chick) and I'll show you the way. the root rips too........... except for that hike a bike part

mtbr member
    Do yourself a favor and skip Peaks trail. I don't get why that's so popular. There are so many better trails in the area
    I actually agree with you. I dont' get why everyone loves the Peaks trail. Maybe as a connector, but it doesn't have the fun factor of other rides in the area.

Not to rain on your parade, OP. If you like it, ride it!
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Do we rent Yeti SB66 or SB95 or Santa Cruz Tallboy LT?

Unless you're doing the Keystone ski area thing, an "XC" or "trail" bike is sufficient for all the trails mentioned. There's lots of climbing so you want a bike that isn't a pig getting uphill.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There's no easy way there unless you drive around to the Park County side and park on Michigan Creek Road which is a long drive, even if you use Boreas Pass Rd. That road is passible in a passenger car with good clearance.

The South fork of the Swan jeep road is a burley climb, it takes a close to elite level rider and good dirt conditions to clean it. Usually though, it's badly chewed up by Jeeps, ATVs and motos and there are a few mandatory push sections, but it is direct so it's got that going for it. You can cut some of the S fork Rd off by getting on the Great Flume off of Georgia Gulch Rd which is shown on the map I linked to.

Riding up the CT has it's technical moments and it's no doubt a long grind but it's doable.

Most of the time when I've done Georgia Pass down on the CT I've either done it as part of the Kenosha to Breck ride or as part of the circumnavigation of Guyot ride both of which are great rides (the Kenosha requires a point to point shuttle) but are BIG efforts.

mtbr member
    thanks zrm. trying to avoid shuttle and jeep road. is climb up CT from Breck comparable to one from Kenosha side?
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks zrm. trying to avoid shuttle and jeep road. is climb up CT from Breck comparable to one from Kenosha side?
    The bottom mile or so of the Summit side is more technical than anything on the Kenosha side - it's a real rock garden - but other than that yeah, they're different in ups and downs, but probably pretty close in overall effort.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast